Guest viewing is limited

THR Nini's Right THR Recovery -- January 2024

@luvcats and the ache is what I would expect from a pain. But my surgeon last week never asked me what kind of pain I have. Just said right away when I ran my hand over it. Yep. Surgical area. And why he felt it was taking so long to heal. Other areas of pain. I’m kinda’ tempted to ask for some pT get some hands on thoughts. ???? B
 
@luvcats and the ache is what I would expect from a pain. But my surgeon last week never asked me what kind of pain I have. Just said right away when I ran my hand over it. Yep. Surgical area. And why he felt it was taking so long to heal. Other areas of pain. I’m kinda’ tempted to ask for some pT get some hands on thoughts. ???? B
The doctor is saying you are compensating for the other hip? Is it in bad shape? Obviously PT won't help incision pain. It seems like you need more of a dialog with your doctor about if your gait is causing pain, and what kind of pain is appropriate for your phase of healing. Do you have access to something like MyChart, that would let you submit a non-urgent medical question? It can be so hard to get in to see surgeons.
 
@luvcats and the ache is what I would expect from a pain. But my surgeon last week never asked me what kind of pain I have. Just said right away when I ran my hand over it. Yep. Surgical area. And why he felt it was taking so long to heal. Other areas of pain. I’m kinda’ tempted to ask for some pT get some hands on thoughts. ???? B
The doctor is saying you are compensating for the other hip? Is it in bad shape? Obviously PT won't help incision pain. It seems like you need more of a dialog with your doctor about if your gait is causing pain, and what kind of pain is appropriate for your phase of healing. Do you have access to something like MyChart, that would let you submit a non-urgent medical question? It can be so hard to get in to see surgeons.
Yes I do need other hip done but no I don’t think it’s affecting my gait at all. Just the pain around incision. Apparently it’s the muscles ? Behind the incision. I have called up 4 x in the last four months and had three visits. Each call and visit I have been told give it time. This last time I was told something about my body is being affected by the pain in my back and other hip. He mentioned he could prescribe pt for me.
 
If he's offered to prescribe PT, then maybe it's time to see what that can do for you?
 
I did get a PT evaluation two weeks ago and have started new excercises every day and go to PT 2x a week. I have very weak muscles which they say can have a burning pain. They say yes this can be corrected. Of course at this point I’m still having pain but I do think the burning has decreased slightly . I’m also feeling pain where I hadn’t before but I believe it’s because I’m using muscles I haven’t in a very long time. So I’m plodding along trying to stay positive. 19 weeks po. Thanks for any input!
 
@Nini I had my left hip done in January. I was going to wait 9 months to get right hip done, but within a few weeks I was sore everywhere and decided to have the right hip done 8 weeks after the left. By day 2 after the surgery the reduction in pain level was amazing. My left hip really became pain free. Now I’m 2.5 months after the right hip and only have occasional discomfort from a knee that is bad but actually getting better because my gait is so much improved. I hope you find some answers and a surgeon you are comfortable with.
 
but I believe it’s because I’m using muscles I haven’t in a very long time.
Isn't it amazing how annoyed muscles can get when we ask them to wake up? Be patient with them. Slowly but steadily, a little a time your strength will come back.
:flwrysmile:
 
@Freyagirl I have really considered it but I feel while I feel you may very well have a valid point and that you agree with the surgeon I’m choosing to wait a bit. I think while I am strengthening the opererated hip I will also be the non operating hip. It also failed all the tests at the pt. I also have found the surgeon I would like to have. He is an hour and a half away but he did my husband’s knee two years ago. Thank you very much for your input!
 
@benne68 yes I think we agree with what’s going on currently. I will check with PT just to be sure. Time as we all know can be very frustrating!
Also when we set my account up I must have told you right hip. Insert slap to forehead! For 19 weeks now it’s been my left all along!
 
I feel like such a jerk, not having read your recovery story until now. I'm so sorry to read that you are still experiencing pain but in my case it slowly got better with gentle exercise. Fingers crossed it will do the same for you. The stronger you are before your next surgery the better the odds are of a smooth recovery. Hang in there :flwrysmile:
 
I feel like such a jerk, not having read your recovery story until now. I'm so sorry to read that you are still experiencing pain but in my case it slowly got better with gentle exercise. Fingers crossed it will do the same for you. The stronger you are before your next surgery the better the odds are of a smooth recovery. Hang in there :flwrysmile:
Ah well that's ok! From what I remember we are fairly close in surgical dates? I do think I'm better than I was say 3 weeks ago! The two therapists that have my case listen closely to me and I'm quite confident they can help. Today marks 2 weeks of doing their excercises and 5 in house visits. Thanks @Nutcase for your encouragement and kind words!
 
I had both hips go bad at the same time. One was fixed at end of August and the other on May 20th. The pain I had post op this fall, once surgical pain disappeared, was from the non-surgical hip. I kept blaming my surgical hip but that was not the case. I think that is what @Freyagirl posted earlier as well. It may be worth considering if PT doesn’t alleviate your pain.
 
And here we are at 5 months! I’ve been in PT for 4 weeks. Most days are better! Yesterday was actually very good! I hoped the burning pain was behind me! Then today happened! Had a bit of burning pain went to PT and got quite the workout. I was able to finish all they gave me but now I’m home laying down with the ice. Telling myself it takes awhile to build muscle. Maybe 6 month anniversary will be a glowing report!
 
Happy anniversary :)
Indeed, growing muscles takes way much longer time than I could remember. I’ve been going to the gym (training, mindfully, as I please as per clearance from my PT) for maybe 3 weeks now and damn I’m weak :heehee:
All the muscles work but they have NOT figured out what has happened to them yet.
I still ice from time to time and it feels sooo good!
I sounds like you’re on the right track which is lovely to hear. Don’t give up and you will get there :friends:
 
Thanks for the encouragement @Nutcase ! So far I’ve had 2 out of 3 good days! T I’m hoping today will be record setting! And make it 3 out of four! We had our very young grandchildren here for 8 hours yesterday and I was on my own with them for most of the day. They kept me busy and I didn’t cringe when they would suggest something! I plan on to keep moving as much as I can! Thank you again!
 
With July came my six month anniversary since my surgery. Am I better since I started PT while yes I am. Do I still have some pain while yes I do! Some days I am just so OK and then another day will come and it will hit me and I have pain and burning. I do think that those days of pain and burning are getting few and fewer. Every day I do my exercises the PT sign me off with. One day it’s select exercises and then the next day it will be all of the exercises that PT gave me. One day I do what they call a burn which is four of the exercises right in a row without stopping and yes, I know why they call it the burn!
I still have some days or I am discouraged because of the lingering pain that I do have. I try to be positive and I try to tell myself that yes someday I will be surgery pain-free! My husband has been a great encourager for me. And I have had several of you Message me saying the same thing. And I hope that I have been able to encourage some of you along the way to.
So can I hear from some of you that still had lingering pain at six months and were able to beat the pain?
 
Hi Nini,
Yes, I still had pain off & on. But I had aches & pains long before hip replacement.
I'm not sure about this "burn" exercise you refer to, I would think that isn't good to be doing but JMHO.
I had to learn to listen to my body & let my body rest on some days. I'm not saying I stayed in bed I just treated myself more gently.
I'd make a loose plan of my day in AM & then "the hip" let me know if we were going to do everything or not!
My recovery was a little slower than others but I made strides to a full recovery. One year I was hiking again, walking dogs & living life but let me tell you Year 2 was even better!
Dial back those "burn" exercises for couple days & just walk & see if you feel better.
Happy Sunday!
 
@myglasshalffull thank you for your reply!!! The burn excercise every other day has been 10 clamshells 10 reverse clamshells 10 movements that my leg is lifted knee bent and on my side glide it forward and back 10 times and then 10 leg lifts. I do two sets of that. I will take your advise and back off on that. I am able to do most things in my life well other than sit. It’s just those few days a week that seem to randomly hit me and knock me down.
 
I love doing strengthening regimens and have done them on and off for years based on my knees tolerance (currently in intensive muscle building phase with both knees over a year old). Yours is too much too often.

We shouldn't be working the same muscle on consecutive days. Any muscle that's well worked needs a minimum of 48 hours to recover.
If it's worked to actual exhaustion (past burn to trembling and can't do more), it needs up to five days to recover.

So I recommend having a strengthening day off every other day, just doing walking and light stretching those days.

I also recommend reducing your burn workout to one set, each repetition done as slowly as possible in both directions, no more than once a week.

If you reach a point where there's no burn, don't add a second set. Add two more repetitions at a time instead. Physiologically, taking the break between sets is not as effective as working consistently and slowly.
 
@mendogal Thank you! Thanks for laying it out as far as what I should be doing! And yes every other day I have been close to the trembling threshold! No wonder I’m feeling burning pain!
 

Staff online

  • sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom