Guest viewing is limited

Ankle NickB in recovery

This actually sounds like a good report to me. I'm not sure I would have taken a vacation that required a lot of walking, but it does seem to have worked out well for you and I'm glad. We're all still learning what recovery looks like with ankle replacements, so your updates are very much appreciated.
 
Way to go Nick. Glad you feel progress. My situation is somewhat similar as I approach six months post TAR. Still struggle with the first three to four steps before the stiffness/pain level reduces . I would say from a 7 down to a 2. I called my surgeon and discussed this and he said, be patient it may take up to a year. How exciting that I may only be half way. I have noticed when I first get out of bed and walk, there is no pain, so this does seem it indicate that the pain is definitely from the ligaments & tendons surrounding my front and side ankle. Occasionally I also feel Achilles pain, but not to the level of the front.
our journey continues; nobody said it would be easy. LOL I continue to run (walk actually) into people that always tell me they never heard of an ankle replacement nor ever have run into anyone that had it.
 
Thanks Nick B for all your input! you are a real trooper. Wondering if your TAR ws because of injury or other medial condition?
 
Hallo Fellow Anklers,
I realised it's been a while since I did an update on progress. By and large everything went well during the balance of 2020 (apart from the obvious) however in September I developed a sharp stabbing pain in the front outside of my ankle. This was immediately reminiscent of the pain I had had for 20 odd years since the accident that brought me to this point originally!
Swift visit to specialist and a nuclear bone scan showed old scar tissue problems around my sinus tarsi. Anyway long story short after 3 months in the "queue" a week ago I had an arthroscopy and debridement of the scar tissue. Been in a boot since and hope to get out of it later in the week. All feels great (often does when you're in a boot) and amazingly, no pain at all since the op.....very happy! keep you posted, Nickb
 
@NickB So sorry you had to endure more surgery. Fingers crossed this does the trick! Please keep us updated.
 
Hopefully that will be the end of your issues @NickB. I'll be interested to hear how you feel when you get out of the boot.
 
Hallo All,
This is a good news update :) The arthroscopy seems (2nd time round!) to have done the trick! I can now report that I am virtually pain-free almost all the time. It's now 6 weeks since "he went back in" (and 16 months since the TAR). There was (and still is) a lot of scar tissue; but less now. I have been giving the ankle a good work out (uneven, uphill etc) and it's good. It will never outperform the right ankle; but that was never part of the plan:-)
So I hope that this brings more than a glimmer of hope to those approaching or battling along the journey.
 
Great news @NickB! :yes!: Thanks for sharing, that's definitely good news for anyone following, or people like myself nearing 10 years since replacement, which was the goal for longevity at the time.
 
Well done @NickB ! Persistence paid off. Enjoy your new found freedom from pain!
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? We’d love to hear about your journey so far.
Fingers crossed all is well and progress is steady.
Take good care…hope to hear from you soon! :)
@NickB
 
Hi, and thanks for the thoughts. This right hip has been a whole different journey to its opposite number two years ago. The main difference has been the nerve damage/meralgia parasthetica, which has slowed me down enormously. I have been taking pregabalin for the past 10 days without any appreciable benefit, so with GP guidance I have stopped; but I am still taking a very low dose of Targin , which I know by now I shouldn't need; but night times are still pretty rough. I guess my inability to get properly into PT is holding back the overall recovery; but this M P is no joke and much as I am aware it will pass "in time", I wouldn't wish it on anyone!
The other incriminating fact is that because my other hip was relatively simple we planned a holiday in north Queensland in our camper van...........yes I know!!!
Anyway the warmer winter weather is surely beneficial somewhere along the way!
I'll keep yo posted.
PS the ankle is doing just fine!
 
@NickB Thanks for the update. So sorry you are dealing with MP - not fun! Yes, this should ease with time. Here's an article from our Library Meralgia Paresthetica.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope this month finds you feeling some relief from the MP. So sorry your struggling with this. With any luck you now have access to PT and it’s helping to ease the pain.
Take care and stay in touch.
@NickB
 
Hi Nick,
Looks like we both had to undergo a second ankle procedure to reduce pain if I understood your posts correctly.
I too have experienced reduced pain that you can read about in my posts.
I wish you the best of luck and a pain free future.
 
@NickB .... how are things going for you these days? I hope your hip is settling in okay. It's been great to read that your ankle is doing well.
 
I have been a bit remiss about updating my ankle progress. Essentially the TAR has been remarkably successful and I would strongly recommend the procedure for anyone still anxious to decide.
My ongoing ankle problems are not TAR related; but rather still stem from scar tissue problems relating back to the original break 28 years ago.
I have had some partially successful arthroscopies over the years and am in fact due for another today (!) hence the prompted post ! These generally give me a period of relative pain-free activity; but it's limited.
Today's will be the last.....enough is enough :-)
So good luck to all intending TAR recipients......it will be worth it !
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom