Guest viewing is limited

Newbie needing new knees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Snook
Welcome to BoneSmart! I'm glad you're here, but not glad that you are in such pain.

Back in the 1990s, I was told that I was "too young" for a knee replacement, and that I had to wait until I was at least 60. I had several very painful years, until I got to 59, by which time I was a mess.

Nowadays, as the technology of knee replacemenets has improved, they are tending to last much longer and the "too young" philosophy should no longer apply. What should be considered are only two things:
  1. The state of your knees.
  2. The impact that is having on your quality of life.
Since your knees are bone on bone and your quality of life is already badly compromised, I think you qualify for knee replacements on both counts! I'm sorry your situation with doctors is difficult right now - you might have to be very pro-active on your own behalf. Remember, it's the squeaky gate that gets the attention!

This might be helpful for you:
if your knees rule your life, it's time
- take charge, don't be dictated to; it's your knee, your future
- there is no such thing as too young or too heavy or even obese for TKR
- choose a specialist surgeon who does several hundred TKRs a year. Ask the nurses, if you can; they know who's best
- if you need two done, think carefully about the time gap between surgeries, it's not a trivial decision
- try to plan for at least 12 weeks off work
- your recovery is your time to be selfish and idle; plan to embrace this, you'll need it
- don't think you can work hard (even if you're an athlete ) to speed recovery, healing works at it's own pace
- Look at our FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread and for full reference the Library index.

Best wishes!
 
My knees do rule my life, and if I have to wait until I am 60, then it truly won't be a life worth living. I try not to be dictated to, but I can't make the surgeon operate on me. I'm just trying to figure out the right way to look, or the right things to say to make him want to do my knees. I haven't given much thought to the gap between surgeries, or even which knee to do first.....my right knee hurts the most, but they tell me the left one is worse. I always thought they made you wait about a year between surgeries. I guess I will find out next month......I plan on at least getting an idea of how long I have to wait
 
Just wanted to stop by and say hello....I also was told to "lose weight"...I did....knee was still bone on bone and pain was still very prevalent...Now that I have one knee done...I have been told to lose weight to save the replacement...its always something. I do hope you get some form of relief. Remember you are your best advocate...so do it for YOU.
 
I remember asking my OS before the knee replacement if I had to lose weight before he would do the surgery. He said something "I certainly support you losing weight but it's not necessary to do the surgery."

What I wish is that we'd be told long before our knees started going kablooey to strengthen our quads and other muscles that support the knee. I learned that way too late--it helped pain a little but the knee was far gone.

Losing weight can help somewhat but it's no cure once the knees are shot.
 
I do want to lose weight......to get the surgery, for me. I'm happy with how I look, and being thin with stuffed knees isn't going to help me be any more active. I'm sorry to be sounding so negative......it's starting to wear me down.
 
My knees do rule my life, and if I have to wait until I am 60, then it truly won't be a life worth living.
I am hopeful that you can find an OS that will not worry about your weight, but rather, worry about the quality of your life.

I remember asking my OS before the knee replacement if I had to lose weight before he would do the surgery. He said something "I certainly support you losing weight but it's not necessary to do the surgery."
Now, this is the attitude of the surgeon that is out there waiting to help you out.

Losing weight will be much easier with knees that are pain-free!
 
My OS told me today that it would be good if I lost some weight. This didn't have anything to do with my knees, though. It was because my blood sugar is a little high. The knees are good, I guess.
 
My knees do rule my life, and if I have to wait until I am 60, then it truly won't be a life worth living. I try not to be dictated to, but I can't make the surgeon operate on me. I'm just trying to figure out the right way to look, or the right things to say to make him want to do my knees. I haven't given much thought to the gap between surgeries, or even which knee to do first.....my right knee hurts the most, but they tell me the left one is worse. I always thought they made you wait about a year between surgeries. I guess I will find out next month......I plan on at least getting an idea of how long I have to wait

This might be helpful when you try to persuade your surgeon:

List of activities and abilities score chart.pdf

Download and print it. Fill it in and show it to your surgeon when you go for your appointment. Something written down may have more impact than just your words.

If your surgeon still will not agree that your knees need to be replaced, it is probably time to look for another surgeon, one who will be more sympathetic to your situation.
 
I never heard if age requirements for a TKR. I was 54 with first first TKR and am now 56 and having my right one done 7-28-14. Both mine were bone on bone. Best of luck to you.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Snook my husband's knees will be done 10 weeks apart, but of corse I am in the US so there may be a difference.
 
I don't know what the wait time is here. I live in a small country town, and travel 96 kilometres to work (each way) every day. My family all live over 100ks away. I think they would likely make me wait until my first knee is fully healed before they do the second, on account of me being on my own without help. There is a hospital in my town, but there isn't a doctor present........you see a nurse, and if you need a doctor you see one by satellite. No physio or rehab. I'll be doing the exercises on my own at home!
 
@Snook Everyone heals at a different rate. My husband's surgeon usually wants to wait 6 months between, but hubby is doing so well we talked him into it. By yourself will be tough, expecially the first week. Make sure you have high protien quick foods to eat as you won't be able to stand for long periods of time to make a meal. The exercise lists are easy to find, although in the first few weeks you may need help with a couple of them. It is doable others have done it on their own, but hopefully you can find a friend, family, local church people, or someone to come help the first week.
 
Oh......I will be staying with my mother when I come home from hospital........for at least a week.....longer if she has anything to do with it. She had even enclosed her patio so I can bring my cats too! I have already started stocking up on canned tuna etc. as for standing to make a meal.......I plan on buying a Bambach saddle seat. Has anyone else used one of those? I have one at work that I use, and it is a godsend when I need to stand, but can't. They are a saddle shaped seat on castors, and elevate to standing height...I'm 5'7" - I don't know if they would work for a much taller person, but I can put one foot on the floor and it's like jetting about on a skateboard. I love them! A bit pricy, but well worth it.
 
@Snook So very glad to hear you will be at your mother's the first week or so! I was worried about you trying to go it alone.
 
I went through 2 OS before I found my 3rd. On my 2nd visit with him , he said "lets schedule a replacement" I literature hyperventilated. I was so excited. My wait was 3 months only because I had work conflicts. Probably could have had it done within a month. As im located in the San Francisco Bay Area and theres literally hundreds of OS within 100 miles. But ill never ever forget that day he said that. Before I could beg and plead for a replacement , he said that to me . That day I found bonesmart and it was a great blessing. Im now going to the gym often and burning calories. As im 6ft 3 250lbs. Id like to lose 25 lbs. Now I can workout and never think about my knee hurting. It a miracle and only 5 months post op. Best of luck , Iceman
 
I can only imagine the elation you felt when he said that! My surgeon is a very handsome man, in good shape.....I feel so apologetic when I see him. If he had the skill I wouldn't mind if Quasimodo did my surgery!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom