THR Newbie needing help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you are obviously doing very well. Congratulations ! I was just curious as to why so long in the hospital.

Best for your recovery

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Not sure. In NZ you either have it done in the public system or privately. I had mine done privately and my surgeon has his patients in for a minimum of 3 nights. I was offered to stay longer, it was up to me but had to stay for 3
 
Hey kiwigirl,

Well, you are walking 2.4 miles per day (4 km). I suppose if you are not in pain then this is ok. Does your surgeon know ? I would give a call to see if this is OK at 4 weeks.
I understand you want to get back to normal activity as soon as possible, but a THR is major surgery.
May I ask why you had a hip replacement ?

Best to you in your recovery

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Yes he knows. I had an appointment with him last week and he was very encouraging and does not seem to think I am over doing it. I had a cementless replacement and he wants me to get as mobile as I can, having total atrophy of my left leg. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at the of 13. Specialist had told me that my first replacement would be in my 30s but I made it to mid 40s which I am thrilled about. My rheumatoid arthritis turned to osteoarthritis and the mild pain I have now is nothing compared to the pain over the previous years.
 
Elizak, it is quite rare in Australia and NZ to be discharged 24 hours after surgery, 3 - 5 days are pretty much the norm.

How is the DVD day going Kiwi?
 
Next check up is in two weeks, which will be my 6 week mark. I am thinking on extending my raised toilet and chair though which is due back then. At nearly 6ft tall and it is quite a drop to sit down, don't want to rip the towel rails off the wall. Yes, good advice poppet, think I will see m GP just to get the all clear. It is my first ever operation so my idea of a healed incision might not be very accurate haha. DVD was lovely, heating on full blast
 
Hi kiwigirl! Yay, another kiwi :happydance:

You sound like you are doing well. I just had a quick check and I was taking 2 x panadol twice daily at four weeks. You are right Poppet, we are a tough lot down here. I've only taken panadol since day three, due to being so sick from the other meds, the nurses suggested we try it and I coped fine (and started feeling better). I'd still continue to take it 6 hourly if you are in pain. Maybe try more icing and resting too? In those first few weeks or so every time I lay down or sat in bed I had one of those gel packs against the wound or my butt, if the muscles there were protesting. I spent four nights in hospital, mostly due to the low blood pressure, and nausea, otherwise could possibly have been three.

I have been seeing a hospital physio since week 5 (I was public and am now 9 and a half weeks), but they did send us home with a few simple exercises to do. It's been really beneficial seeing a physio, every couple of weeks he gives me harder exercises to strengthen the muscles. Since you went private, does that mean you have to find a physio for yourself?

I extended my toilet seat for two weeks too. It was a really good move. It's funny, I look at normal toilets now and they look like kiddie toilets!

Good day for a DVD, wish that was me, just finished my second week back at work full time.

Poppet, that must have been a bit of a bang, hitting a kangaroo! Glad you and your hubby are ok, pity about the car (& the poor roo).
 
Thanks octopus! Poppet I just re read all the posts and I completely missed that you hit a kangaroo!! Gosh so lucky you weren't hurt, that would be like running into a tree!

Octopus so good to here you were pretty much the same a me re meds, every one seems so different and I don't know about being tough just think our doctors are big prescribers. I have taken everyone's advise and am now sitting typing this with an ice pack on my incision which has gone from being numb to painful and I haven't iced for a few weeks, didn't realise to keep it going.

There has been no mention of physio but will bring it up at my next appointment. I think I would have to arrange it but was having physio pre op so know who I would use. Think my insurance covers 6 visit post op.

Thanks so much for everyone's input :)
 
Thanks octopus for dropping by :)

Kiwi girl, even at 17 months, if I have overdone it I ice..

I was called 'the ice queen' I used my gel ice packs all the time. There is a lot of scientific articles supporting the theory that ice is a complimentary pain relief.. so ice away my friend :)
 
I take an asprin each morning and Panadol (paracetamol). I am wondering if it is still normal and safe to be taking Panadol 6 hrly, not going over maximum dosage as 1 mth seems to be a looooong time.
Quite a number of people manage with only paracetamol or that and small doses of codeine. Personally, I think having stuff like Percocet and Vicodin as totally over the top for most THRs.
I had a cementless replacement and he wants me to get as mobile as I can, having total atrophy of my left leg.
I nearly laid an egg when I read you were walking 4km a day at 4 weeks but this explains it all. Your surgeon is one of the sensible ones who doesn't subscribe to the non-weight bearing nonsense with an uncemented hip! I've always questioned this 'logic' as the rate and quality of bone growth is in direct proportion to the amount of loading applied to the leg. So walking - which is by far the best PT ever for a hip - will actually encourage bone bonding with the implant.
There has been no mention of physio but will bring it up at my next appointment.
You don't need physio. Totally redundant in view of your walking ability. That's all the PT you need, quite apart from which, hips have a very neat way of sorting themselves out in the end.

You're doing fine - absolutely fine!
 
Josephine ....getting the hang of this forum now! Thank you thank thank you. Such encouraging words. I so wish I had found this resource months ago. I have been so busy reading through all the wonderful information. Taking little bits from here and there and applying them to my recovery. Thanks to poppet I iced last night and have just woken from a full nights sleep......another great healer x
 
Wonderful Kiwi Girl... A full nights sleep helps so much with the healing and recovery.. You are progressing very well: good for you :)
 
Off for my 6week specialist appointment today. Am back aqua jogging and nearly off my crutch completely. Still seem to need it to get going lol as my leg feels weak and as if t might buckle, once started I am off lol. I am now sleeping properly and pretty much back to normal other than not been able to reach my feet still haha. I am still using ice as my incision area seems to have gone from numb to sore.

As an aside, can you change your thread title? I understand the need to have one thread but am curious if a little frusrated that you cannot post a question and have to read through lots of thread to get info rather than threads which apply to you. Maybe I am missing something?

Fabulous fabulous forum and I am finding it very valuable x
 
Kiwigirl, a mod can change your thread title. Just tag one (type @ followed by mod's name; no spaces) You could tag bottomshollow or poppet....either of them can change it for you.

And you can search forums or threads for specific keywords. Look at the tabs at the top of the page....a little left of center....there's a Search tab. See if that works for you.

Sharon
 
Thanks Sharon, yep have been using the search facility.

Got a fab 6 week report, now if I could just reach my feet!
 
Got a fab 6 week report, now if I could just reach my feet!
:heehee: know what you mean! I'm 11 weeks today and am almost able to put my sock on comfortably, it's a bit of a tight stretch at the moment.
 
octopus .....thought I would ask you, being a fellow New Zealander. Sorry if you have already posted about this. Do you have any physio? I was given two pretty useless exercises when I left hospital and that was that. I say useless as in I think they may have been more suited for an older patient than someone who other than a stuffed hip was in pretty good nic! Haha. I am asking as I have just passed my 6 weeks and there is no hope what so ever of getting anywhere near my feet, or shaving my legs etc.....thank goodness it's winter lol. I don't feel like it is a muscle issue I simply just cannot do it. I am aqua jogging and stretching 4 days a week and walking each day, 2ks on days when I go to the pool and 4ks when I don't. I am off my single crutch around the house but still take it out. I struggle with my first few steps but once I get going I am walking well. Sorry if this is such a long message and everyone feel free to add their experiences. Thanks heaps
 
Hi kiwigirl, I was given about 5 very simple exercises when I was in the hospital to continue at home a few times a day. Then at about 5 weeks I started seeing a physio there. I see him every two weeks and he increases the difficulty of the exercises according to what I am able to do. One thing I find good about them is being able to measure my progress. You have been doing heaps of walking which is good. I can't remember, did you go public or private? If public you should be able to call the hospital and get some physio there. I'm almost 12 weeks and I'm just getting to the stage of being able to reach far enough to shave my legs, I'm going to have a go this week, can't wait! I'm certainly glad it's winter too, it's really not a good look. :heehee: I've definitely got to get them done before next Friday, my 3 month surgeons appointment with X-ray! You are doing well in your progress. I think I finally dropped the last crutch around the end of week 8, just because I was still limping slightly. I still have a bit of groin pain and buttock muscle pain, i limp with my first few steps after sitting, but am pretty good otherwise. Let me know how you get on. :)
 
Josephine Thanks so much for the link, I do some of those in the pool but will add some extras on dry land. You are a saint with the amount of work you do helping us all, it is truly appreciated
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom