Newbie jumping in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm scheduled for RTHR on July 19th, but today went riding for two hours.....just a little sore in the saddle.
I guess my last ride will be mid July until next summer. Wish you the best, but until your surgery hope you can get out and ride!

[Bonesmart.org] Newbie jumping in!
 
Thanks Big Sky!
My legs just don't want to spread beyond shoulder width anymore.
My first move last summer was to sell my Vstar Classic (with it's wide-azz tank).
Picked up a nice narrow HD Sporty, but even that's getting tough to ride now :sad:.
Glad to see your still able to ride & good luck with your replacement!

I did get in touch with my surgeon's office last week & they said that the pre-op package was just mailed. Also mentioned a pre-op class & appointment coming up.

Spent the weekend getting another couple "to-do" items crossed off the list. Motorhome got it's oil change & it's interior cleaned top to bottom. Of course result was not being able to move! :flabber:
Decided I needed to go back on the Meloxicam scipt for a week or so.
 
Oh that is one of my dreams to ride again - a little duc monster would be perfect - I would dream of it now, I wouldn't be even able to get on a bike [emoji17]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@NAUTIQUE my Physicians Assistant sent out a packet to me that had some FAQ and information about the necessary pre-op testing that my Primary Care Physician needed to do for me. It also had information about the Joint Replacement Class (they called theirs Joint Effort) at the hospital. the class was helpful. Hopefully your hospital will have something similar. Can't hurt to reach out your OS and see if they can send you info.

I had 2injections to help me get through the 10 month wait for surgery on my right hip. I was not allowed to have an injection within 3 months of surgery. I had decent results from the 1st injection. Injection 2 helped very little. I was also on Meloxicam and Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen long term prior to surgery. Looking to have my second hip done in November. Hoping to avoid injection this time, but may talk with my physician about going back on medication when I go for my 3 month check up in late July.
 
My pre-op package arrived yesterday! :yay:

Very well laid-out with all Pre-adm., Pre-op, & Post-op appointments for both 1st & 2nd surgeries.
Included a good info sheet on his Anterior approach & postop info.
Interesting notes:
Walking is most important exercise. Weight bear as tolerated & progress from walker to cane asap. Loose cane when there is no more limping & balance feels good.
Sleep with pillow between legs for 4 weeks (back or side).
No range of motion restrictions - just avoid sudden/extreme leg positions & all sports - be very conservative for first few months.
Wound to be sealed with glue - keep dry for 7 days.
Driving ok 2-4 weeks after surgery.

This makes me feel pretty good after reading through it! :fingersx:
 
Interesting that your OS suggests a pillow between the legs for the anterior approach. I didn't have this precaution post-op with either of my anterior THRs and I slept on my side within the first few days. But, better safe than sorry for sure. :-)
 
Did my lunchtime gym routine today & was wondering if any has posted a pre-op or post-op "planet fitness" hip routine?
With all the different machines & free weights that they have, I would think that someone would've come up the "perfect" routine to do for recovery. (Although I do keep reading that, just walking, is the perfect recovery exercise.) I did a search, but nothing seemed to come up.

Right now I'm just hitting the gym on Tuesday & Thursday, I do about 3 miles (15 mins) on the bike. Then a few leg machines with light weights & finish with a couple upper body machines (Probably takes me about 45 minutes). The other nights I try to keep up with my stretching routine (Probably takes about 30 minutes).
I did find that my pain has really increased & I thought I was just aggravating the situation. So I layed-off the workouts for a week - Then I found that the pain was still there & my whole body felt locked-up. So I decided to just keep plowing through & I'm just trying to keep everything as strong & loose as possible, hoping it'll help out in the long run!
 
@NAUTIQUE My PT explained that the reason walking is the key activity for recovery is that it is weight bearing. The weight bearing promotes bone growth which is REALLY important, especially for cementless devices.

Kyle
 
Nautique, I am new here today, thought I would join others that are in the same boat as me. It somehow feels good to here the same complaints and issues that I have. Since others around you can walk normally I hobble and hate it. I put off the surgery they wanted to do a year ago, but now the pain is worse and so dang frightened of surgery and then wow someone brought up infections up above oh man forgot all the issues. oh man I hate this. Oh and I am a hockey fan too. Born in Canada maybe does it...lol....I root for Canadian teams and east coast teams and my fav is the Red Wings....even though I have the Ducks and the Kings in my neck o the woods...but I like them too...guess you hafta...lol:hi:
 
I just started my thread too. I could do my surgery first week of August, but it just doesn't work for my family's schedule. I'm going to try to muddle through until Sept. But I'm dreading the pain this summer and wish I could just do it tomorrow!
 
I know how you girls are feeling (@OUCH! and @CaliGal), I sat on the fence a year before moving forward. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have put it off. The time before surgery takes quite a toll on ones emotions. Wishing you both the best! Hugs!
 
Thanks Cynthia I think it was a smart decision to join a forum like this with others with the same issue. When I was dealing with my ailing mom it was helpful to be on AgingCare forum to join with others going through that.:thankyou:
 
CaliGal & OUCH!
You found a great great forum. It's so good to be able to see & hear what others in your situation are doing!
CaliGal - I "hate this" too! Shocker to find out you need the surgery. Figured I could struggle through it for a long time, but now my daily pain is so bad I just want to get it over with.
Being able to read & interact with the folks here lets you realize that you'll make it through & be so much happier when its done.
 
Well I went through my pre-admission appointment with the hospital last week - another step forward I guess!
I thought that it was going to be more involved from the medical end, but was really mostly just answering questions & attending a class. They did do blood work & a nasal swab test.
Sooo... of course yesterday I get an email that the nasal test result game back with a positive result! :shocked:
It stated that it tested positive for MSSA - I was freaked. A little later I received a call from the pre-adm. office to go over the result. She basically told me it was nothing to worry about, that a majority of people carry this culture around on them. She advised that it only means that I would need to use a nasal ointment, along with the shower "body-scrub" for an additional 5 days before surgery.
I was still freaked & put a call into my surgeon's office, but they basically said the same thing "nothing to worry about".
:chinstroke: Still a little freaked-out but plodding forward.

Next week is my dentist check-up & then my pre-op with surgeon. Hoping no other surprises pop up!
Funny, as scared as I am about these operations, now I'm worried that something will delay them!
 
@NAUTIQUE I felt the same way. I did everything I could to make sure I would not get delayed. I was way more proactive about that than is normal for me.

If the hospital and your doctor are not concerned, you should not be either.

My pre-op with the hospital was not until 5 days prior to surgery. I think I would have liked having that done a little farther out to ease my mind.
 
BTW I am jealous that you will be able to get both hips done so close together. I had my right hip done April 26th and hope to have the left done November 8th.
 
BTW I am jealous that you will be able to get both hips done so close together. I had my right hip done April 26th and hope to have the left done November 8th.

@gullimac ,
I was a little surprised that they were so close together. I originally figured they'd be like a year apart.
My Surgeon said he didn't do two at once. He said that he finds the (6) week apart time frame to have great success. He also said that right now I have pretty equalized pain, but, I'll realize how bad the 2nd one feels after the first is done.
Hmmm.. Trusting someone I had never met before :beg:
(At least he came highly recommended from my Ortho doc & my primary care also told me he was great!)
 
@NAUTIQUE Hi Bilateral Jim here. i just went over the 2 year on July 2nd. Look at the prize of being pain free and get back to living your life and not being an invalid. I've been in the fitness business for 40 years and did my own rehab. My recovery was simple, get the best food, walk when i felt like it, and let my body heal before i started my comeback. As a former football and basketball player in college i know the draw you have to get back to your sport. So, It sounds like you're on your way. By the way Cynthia is not kidding about being on the fence!!! Ha! Stay on this site and good luck to you!
 
Still plodding down this pre-op road! :bored:
Had my pre-op dental cleaning last week - of course a piece of a filling falls off at the cleaning!
Dentist takes a look and says the rest of filling looks pretty solid - of course, two days later the rest of it fell out! :rolleyes:

Last Friday was my pre-op with my OS. Seems like all went pretty well. He wasn't concerned with the positive nasal test, said it was very common. Also didn't seem overly concerned with tooth prob. Said call him to let him know what the dentist says.
Back to dentist yesterday. Temp filling to take care of it for now (crown & possible root canal later).
Left word of result with the OS's office yesterday - she said she'll let OS know and give me a call back today.
Now sitting here hoping all will still be on track!! :beg: Man this is a tough road to travel!
 
Hang tough, @NAUTIQUE ~ It's not long now! The many hoops we have to jump thru I am convinced it's a means to distract us so we don't chicken out!!! In my pre-dental check up, I ended up having to have an extraction - and all I could think of is "this better not delay things"!! Whereas before all this, I would have thought "oh woe is me". Now, it's all about the HIPS! ~ Rather than taking Aleve, it was suggested to me to take Tylenol - and I could take up to 4000 mgs a day (never did, but was allowed) I'd time them according to expected activity. ~ Good luck during this coming week. I'll be a little 'busy' come Thursday 7/28 to wish you well - but will be just a few days ahead of you......and having visions of dancing and playing golf in my future.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom