Guest viewing is limited

TKR newbie here

Status
Not open for further replies.
mom2twins, When I feel real nerves I take deep breaths, and then I get a notebook and journal. I find writing really helps me. then after writing about my fears I make sure I make a list of things I am greatfull, like I have good doctor. a good day. I think you get the idea. take care. Tashia
 
...We had a family tragedyy on Dec.21,2012. I was out of the hospital for 2 days when we found out my husband's 36 year old daughter was killed in a housefire in georgia. ...But now he seems short tempered and moody.
Oh that's terrible, I can't imagine how I'd feel if it were one of my daughters, my thoughts are with you.

My guess is that he is consumed with self blame and guilt; I would be.
 
Laura I think it is only natural for you to be worried about the 2nd. TKR. I know I will need mine doing at some point but try not to think about it at the moment. If you have a confirmed date it is more real. We know its for the best but we also know what we will have to go thru again. On top of that you have had the family tragedy which I cant imagine what your poor husband must be going thru. And of course this will also affect you. We need our husbands support after such a major op. I hope this improves soon for you. You know you will have support here. And congratulations on your upcoming anniversary. 31 years is a long time.
 
Thanks for the comforting thoughts. I can't go to sleep but what's new. My hubs went out of town for 2 days to a model airplane contest. I hope he comes home feeling better. I finished my pt today for my ltkr. I feel pretty lucky that I was allowed 20 visits. So this afternoon I went with my daughter and promptly joined her fitness center mainly for the use of their fabulous pools and hot tubs. No long term contracts or initiation fee plus they will not charge me after i have my second surgery until i can start back. I got in the pool and hot tub and it felt great. Hope you all are having a great day. Laura
 
Hot Tub sounds bliss. Havent been in one yet. None of the pools in my area have one. I would think that would feel lovely on both your knees.
 
Hi to all of you. I had a milestone today. I figured only you all would appreciate my excitement. I was able to walk up and down 2 full flights of stairs one foot at a time at my gym today. I haven't been able to do that in more than 15 years. The only bummer is my RTKR is 8 weeks from today. But boy it sure felt good today. I cheated on the way down and held onto the rail as my my left replaced knee is now the strong knee. I hope those new to recovery are all doing well. I kept thinking to myself on those stairs "Trust your new knee" and it worked. Yipeeeee
 
Congratulations mom2twins, that is a fantastic achievement.
It will hopefully give you encouragement and confidence that doing knee two is going to be good.
Hooray for you, Toothfairy x
:SUNsmile::goodpost:
 
mom2twins
Hi Laura
My goodness, you had your share of tragedy while recovering from your TKR; so sorry for the loss in your family.

I've added you to the May Marvel list.
Here

It might help knowing who else on BoneSmart is having a TKR at that time, you can go through it together. Let's see there is:
Grammy59
fiberlady
Lucybug who is having both knees done within two days of the other.
izzie

Congratulations on the stairs and here's hoping that you have a very uneventful post op! :)
 
Thank you so much Elisea for checking in on me. I really appreciate it. I am going to my new gym at least 5 days a week. They have this great elipitical which you sit on and moves like an exercise bike but is even more gentle on my knees. Then I use the pool and hot tub. Today was my31st anniversary so my hubby and I had a nice dinner out. I am trying to stay focused on living each day happy and not worrying too much about my RTKR. Everybody around me says I am doing great with my new left knee. I have suffered from depression and anxiety for a long time due to severe childhood trauma so feeling good and staying positive is a real struggle for me but most of my friends and family wouldn't know it as I can hide it really well. I had a really nice day. Cheers my bonesmart friends, Laura
 
[Bonesmart.org] newbie here
Laura, it's good to hear that things are going well with your new left knee and that you're focusing on one day at a time. But I would like to think that after you get your right knee done and your recoveries are complete that you would consider getting some professional help for your anxiety and depression that you are hiding from others. You deserve to have as happy and pleasant a life as anyone else.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] newbie here
 
Sounds like a wonderful 31st anniversary. :yes:

Oh, and as bottomshollow mentioned, if your haven't received help with the depression and anxiety, do seek out help. You've got a new knee and kneeed to enjoy it!
 
Hi everyone. I have my mri on my right knee in 5 hours and here I lie in bed trying to stay calm. I have 1 xanax my Dr gave me to take when I get there. It worked great in November for my left knee along with listening to Adelle on the headset. My rtkr is on May 29th. When I went to my dr on Tues to get all of pre op stuff he told me I have a UTI so I have 4 more days of antibiotics to take. He said my ortho dr will want to recheck me before surgery to make sure it is cleared up. Has anybody had this problem right before surgery? And of course something else has to happen. My father who lives in another state is under hospice care for failure to thrive. He had a stroke in 2005 and had 1/2 of his right lung removed due to lung cancer. He has just never really recovered from it all and then a year after his surgery his wife (my parents divorced in 1975 while I was a senior in high school) left him. Well she actually called my brother up and said come and get him I will not take care of him until he dies. My dad lost his house as she had been keeping another post office box downtown and had run up over $100,000 in debt in my dad's name. It got very ugly and now my dad is in a hospital bed in a small apartment. And now my crazy mother is helping to take care of him. My brother is the only one of us siblings who lives in the same state with them. He works out of state in Texas during the week and helps out on the weekend. They are trying to get him on medicaid so he can go to a facility. I feel so guilty that I can't just jump in my car and drive the 17 hours to help out. My dad and I have not always had a good relationship. We grew up in an abusive and alcoholic family so it has been difficult to recover and forgive all of those hurts. I haven't seen my therapist sine March. I just don't know what to do if he dies in the next few days or weeks before my surgery. I hope all of you are good. I especially like to read up on the UK bone smarties as we were with the USAF there twice. My husband at Bentwaters in the 70's and then all of us at Lakenheath in the early 90's. Sorry for rambling on as I really am a positive person even with my anxiety and depression issues. Thanks for listening, Laura
 
Laura, you have so much going in and to deal with especially with your father ill and past history - it becomes hard to deal with at these times. You might want to call your therapist for an appointment just to help get your head and heart together. The past can pop up without warning at times of stress and it helps to have some help. I have been there and it is surprisingly how it can affect us. You are doing the best you can with so much going on. Take care of yourself.
 
Hi to everyone, I am getting ready for my next RTKR on May 29th. Just trying to keep my anxiety down. My dad is now in ICU in New Mexico with pneumonia, sepsis, and failing kidneys. The dr told my brother today that this will be his last chance at a recovery. But he has surprised us all in the last year many times and rallied. It has been nothing but rough times for my family since my first surgery in December. I am trying to stay positive but it is so hard at times. My husband is layed off right now due to the sequester. He is in the aerospace industry and retired from the Air Force so we will be okay for awhile financially. This is the most time we have ever spent together. It's a good thing we still like being around each other. HaHa
 
I am so sorry that you have another challenge with your husband being laid off. Hopefully, that will not last long but at least with your surgery coming up he is more available for you to help get ready and then at home. You are in my thoughts.
 
My dad passed away early this morning. I have my pre op appt on Tuesday and then we will drive the 12+ hours to New Mexico. We will come back to Phoenix on Sunday and have my knee surgery on Wednesday the 29th. I am sad but grateful he is no longer in pain. Thanks for listening, Laura
 
I'm sorry to read about your dad's passing.It's not easy to find the right words to say. My father passed away unexpectedly almost three months ago. He had terminal lung cancer but, he hadn't yet reached the point where he was in terrible pain. It was sad to see him go but we were relieved he didn't suffer and this helped ease his passing for us.:console2:
 
My condolences but as you say he is no longer in pain. When my mother passed away that is what I concentrated on to help me accept and deal. My thoughts are with you.
 
I am heading back home to Phoenix tomorrow and getting ready for my right knee replacement on Wednesday. I saw my surgeon on Tuesday and told him about my dad and he asked me if I wanted to postpone my surgery and I said absolutely not. I just remember how much better I am already walking with just my left knee and can't wait to having a matching pair. I am so inspired by reading everyone's stories that I think it might actually help me with my anxiety a little bit. It was good to get together with my siblings as we are all scattered and don't get to see each other very often.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom