New to this site. My journey is just starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] New to this site. My journey is just starting.
So glad you have decided to give it all you've got, rjanes. New beginnings are often difficult, but can be done one step at a time. And I am so happy for you that you have loving, supportive family to help you with this. You know that all of us here on the forum have your back. Take care, keep us posted, we care. [Bonesmart.org] New to this site. My journey is just starting.
 
I got a telephone call from my doctors office. They have moved my surgery up to Feb. 4th instead of Feb. 18th. . Now I am starting to get scared. I have so much to do in such a short time. The only good thing is I am closer to a new knee. I won't have several weeks to worry. Just a couple more. Oh nooooooo. Encouragement please. A friend of mine just had her knee done by the same doctor six weeks ago. She is doing so good. I can only hope mine will be as good. Being as I lost my husband I have to get a new will made out so my kids will be taken care of if something happens to me. I have to clue them in on where everything is located. I had to make arrangements with my sister in law to see if she could change her schedule too. She said go for it so onward I go.
 
Great news! The wait was the worst for me. And to know that your sis-in-law is being so flexible and supportive is a blessing, I'm sure. 6 weeks out, you'll be feeling great. Not nearly recovered, but great considering where you started from. Now you'll be ready and able to get out and really enjoy the warm weather when it shows up in your neck of the woods. (Assuming you don't live in sunny Florida where it's in the 80's this week!)
 
That is great news! I also had to wait---eight months, as a matter of fact...O h, how I wished that I could have said, "let's get them done", and they would have wheeled me right then and there into the OR.

Moving it up a couple of weeks is a blessing! My best to you!
 
I know I held my breath when she said Feb 4th then I gulped....stammered and said lets go for it. They wait is the worst. I know my work won't be to happy, but they understand that I can't go on they way I have been hurting. They are lurking in the background waiting to see the outcome too, as some of my bosses also have bad knees. I lay in bed at night and just worry worry worry. I am not so scared of the surgery. Lord knows I have had several. It is the thought of a blood clot as I said earlier my dad passed away from a clot when he had his replacement and he never made it out of the hospital. I am worried about my children having to get rid of all of our stuff and selling the house ect. Losing my husband just before the surgery doesn't help that worry. Then I also have all of my critters. They will have to get rid of them also. So I just lay there and worry worry worry. Nothing or no one can help me with that I guess.
 
Tracy,
I live in Georgia so we are going to be in the 70s today. They are saying it is going to get cold again next week. I like this weather. 70s and very low 80s is perfect. Now if it would just dry up so I don't slip slide away. All I have is a mud hole around here.
 
Roxanne, try not to worry. The vast majority of these surgeries go along with no problems whatsoever. I'm happy to hear that you're going to get this done sooner than expected. That means one less week of worry, huh!!! When you find yourself dwelling on things that "might" happen, why don't you just come here and chat. We'll dispell your fears and take your mind off these things. Since we have members all over the globe, you can come online at almost any time of day or night and find someone to chat with. We'll help you through this last little bit of waiting.
 
Thanks for all of the advice. I read thru the articles and they answered most of my questions. I am sure I will have a thousand more before I am on the other side. On one of Jo's posting it showed handlebars that go around the toilet. I didn't know they made those. That is my fear that our toilet is so low that I will not be able to pull myself up. That is why I was thinking a high rise toilet. I will have to try and find the handle bar thing for the toilet. Where do you locate these items? Also the leg lifter. Can you just use a dog leash?
I had thought I had thrown away my toilet riser, from my lateral releases, found it cleaning, knowing it will come in handy one day. And those risers really do work well, i only had arthroscopic clean outs and releases and it helped me a great deal. i hope they help you as well, anything to make recovery a little easier. Good Luck and take care....Sheryl:flwrysmile:
 
I missed the part about your dad, so sorry to hear that. That's why they want you to keep on moving, my condolences to you.
 
I am just starting to catch up on a lot of the threads. So sorry to hear of the loss of your husband. What is it about holidays?
I'm glad you will have support for the tkr and you won't have to wait as long as you thought.
 
Thank you all for the kind words, prayers and encouragement. This has been a hard decision to go forward with this. I just was afraid if I didn't do it now I would chicken out. Thanks again everyone.
 
Hi Roxanne, how are you doing? We have lots of snow here today but I braved it to have a little walk and stretch my knees. I hope you are ok and keeping your mind busy and not worrying too much. Do take care. :flwrysmile:
 
rjanes, I do know what you mean about waiting being the hardest part! I'm now on my last week to wait (I'm just one week ahead of you!)......surgery is set one week from tomorrow!:yikes: I also know the apprehension you are feeling! The list of "what ifs" just keep playing and playing on my mind! I talk to myself many times a day, and I say I CAN DO THIS and LIFE WILL BE SO MUCH BETTER without painful knees! I want to be able to do the things I used to do without thinking about my knees! I know the road to recovery will be long and hard, but there will be an end! We will get our lives back!

So take good care, keep busy, and try not to worry (I know....that's impossible!). I'm hoping we can be "recovery buddies" in a couple of weeks!:puppysmooze:
 
[Bonesmart.org] New to this site. My journey is just starting.
Roxanne, unless you are sharing really personal information, we prefer that you do all your posting on the public forum. This is what we're all about--sharing info with one another in order to help one another as much as possible. There is an article on how to start a "conversation" which is what private messages are called here. Go up on the white bar to Office and select the How to Use this Xenforo Forum and scroll down 'til you find the article. Thanks for your cooperation.
 
I think a high-riser for your current toliet will be great. Mine has handles on either side, which I also used getting in/out of the shower! We did buy the shower bench and hand-held shower head, but never used them. Once I was released from the hospital, all i had was staples, no bandages or anything else, and the Dr. said I could take showers immediately. (just no soap, lotions or oils.

Oh, and as to lifting leg onto bed. The first thing PT taught me, was to use my good leg to hook under my bad leg's ankle, and lift it up to the bed that way.

One thing I found really handly was those grabber sticks...it helped so much putting on pants!
 
I went for my final doctors appointment today. I am on all the prescriptions they want me on. I got to see and touch the implant they are going to use. I read all the scarey material (of what can happen) so now I can really freak out. I have to be at the hospital at 11:30 am and my surgery is scheduled for 2:40 pm. I think that stinks as I will be starving by the time I check in. I like to have my surgeries early in the morning when the doctor is rested and fresh. I guess that will not be the case this time. Anyone else have to use the antibotic up thier nose. It is so messy. The cream does not want to stay in there. They have prescribed it for me. It is supposed to prevent some types of infection. I will do whatever I can to insure a great outcome for myself. I went to the joint class too. It was interesting. This hospital has been recognized for there joint replacement program. I am really getting scared. My sister-in-law is on her way driving from Wisconsin. She should arrive today. She is planning on staying a month so I will have all the help I need. She wants to take care of the animals, so I won't have to hire anyone to feed for me. I have such a wonderful family. I love all of them. Oh well I think I am just rattling on and on so I will stop for now. Monday is fast approaching. I hope my husband is looking down on me and saying "You go girl"
Roxanne
 
Hi Roxanne, sounds like a busy appt. I've not heard of the nose drug,I'll have a normal needle in hand. It's great and reassuring that your hosp hv been recognised for joint replacement . I have to arrive about noon and may not hv op til 5 or later, I dont mind no food but no fluid is harsh all day. How lovely to have your sister in law o help you out . Good luck for Monday. Bug hugs to you, of course your husbands watching you and will be with you all theway. :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
I also thought that donating your own blood for the surgery was standard, but my OS doesn't do that. I also didn't have the nasal swab for MRSA like a lot of folks have. Because I was over 40, I did need the EKG, blood work and urine test for latent UTI.

I didn't get to the pre op class as it was too far away, but that was ok. The surgeons office gave me a huge binder full of all the info that would have been gone over at the bone class.

I think that a TKR patients family members/caregivers should have to go to a class too!! Sometimes family memos have no idea what the surgery really entails, and what the recovery is like!! Makes me so angry when family members think they are motivating when they tell stories about so and so's uncle had one and he was up and playing golf in 3 weeks. Or, trying to get them to stop taking the pain meds because they think it's been long enough. the whole lot.
 
Fernie like Titian said the antibiotic is a prevention for MRSA. I guess it likes to reside in nasal cavities so my OS gives the antibotic as a precaution. My sister-in-law arrived safely last night aroound 6:15 pm. All of our dogs are getting along. She was very pooped, but happy she made it. This is quite a trip for her 1000 miles all by herself. I have lots to do this weekend to get ready for Monday. They also want me to start rehab on Friday of that week.
 
Hi Roxanne , aha, I see about the Mrsa drug now.
Wow 1000 miles is such a long way, well done to her, it's great she cares so much. Am pleased the dogs are getting along as well, another weight off your mind.

Well if you don't hav chance to post, gave a good weekend, I'm sure you'll get everything done and more good luckfor Monday :happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom