New to the forum, 1st THR scheduled for July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again. @Poppet, thanks for the excellent nutritional info. That will all come in handy! And thanks for the comments, @fulafoto. I am really looking forward to that shiny new hip! (Well, hips, to be accurate!)

Still scheduled for July 8, and these couple of weeks are going to seem like an eternity. My left side was always more painful and caused more problems, but now the right side--my "good" side, the side that's not quite as trashed--hurts just as bad, and at times, even worse. I can't even figure out which side to use my cane on!

I know I just waited too long, listened too much to other people (whom I thought had more realistic, more authoritative perspectives than I did). I had no idea this could get so bad so quickly. Ugh. I could just kick myself for not trusting my own instincts, which were telling me years ago to begin this process.

It's putting the cart before the horse, and I should prob just focus on what's right in front of me...but I can't help but hope that my recovery is quick so I can go ahead and schedule the 2nd one. I would love to get them both done and out of my hair ASAP.
 
Hi Kelly - Not at all putting the cart before the horse at all I reckon. You will want to focus on being totally better and that is perfectly understandable. As for your 'better' hip playing up, yes I must say I do get that quite often as well - one benefit of using a pair of crutches I guess. And yes time may seem to drag but we are both so very close now.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@chaosong - I procrastinated for a very long time - 8 years with the final 18 months on a walker.. It is a tough one... Did I wait too long - probably! But sometimes, fear of the unknown and "paralysis by analysis" stopped me. If I had come across BoneSmart I would have jumped in, in a heart beat. This is such life changing surgery. July 8 is coming around quickly, same for Bill... You are surgical buddies that is for sure :)
 
@chaosong, Hello and best wishes for a successful journey with both surgeries. When all is done and you have those new hips you will be amazed at how much better you feel.

In my own case, the decline was very precipitous as it seems to have been with you. What I am finding thankfully is that the improvement is also happening very quickly! So when this very difficult waiting period is over you should expect rapid improvement and a speedy return to a pain-free life.
 
Hi all, just wanted to say a few words about weight and exercise... I have avascular necrosis and have been unable to exercise for the past six months. I have ten lbs that need to come off but it has been difficult. Here I am 10 days from surgery. I found some presurgery exercises on a hospitals website a little while back - mostly about strengthening the upper body. I have been doing them faithfully and I feel better prepared for my recovery. What motivated me was watching how my husband eats and exercises for longevity. I realized I owed it to my family to start preparing for my recovery. I've lost 4 lbs and hopefully I can get even stronger these next 10 days. I'm having both hips done at once so I will need as much arm strength as possible. I have found this website to be very positive and encouraging.
I know I will be nervous the 1 or 2 days before the surgery but I know that is normal and I know I'll come out better on the other side!!
Chasoong, good luck. I too have Lupus and know this is just part of my life's journey! We can get through this!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, everyone. Getting closer!

I'd intended to work up until July 4, then have the long weekend to prepare, but I'm afraid I may have to stop work a week earlier. Between a) my current level of pain and b) the meds I'm taking for it, I'm not being as productive at my job as I should be. Just not succeeding in getting much done...and what I am accomplishing, I think I'm not doing very well. Mentally, I'm just not at my best, and that is really NOT good. Even though I'd rather save my vacation time, I'm thinking it might be better to just take next week off. :sigh:

Also, I do have a quick question. I am having the anterior-lateral type of surgery, and I've heard several people note that the anterior approach is not recommended for people carrying extra weight in their tummies. Well, any extra weight I do have--that is exactly where it is! How detrimental is that layer of adipose tissue, exactly? To what degree does it increase the probability of an infection? I guess it's a little late now to worry about, but is this something I should be concerned about?
 
There is a special table that is (can be) used for THR anterior THR approach, called the Hana table. I do know that it is small and you must be able to fit on it. Chasing, I don't know if your surgeon uses this. I have not heard anything about increased infection due to belly fat. I know I probably have my share! I will be having both my hips done at one surgery with this table but I am curious about infection.
 
The anterior approach can be done without the Hana table and is by many surgeons.
 
@chaosong your surgeon would not likely recommend that technique for you if there was a concern about your weight. The OS wants as good an outcome as you do and they and @Elsie Foust , the surgical team goes to great lengths to avoid infection. In reality the percentage of hospital acquired infection is generally very low. Follow your OS' protocols and the BoneSmart mantras for healing in a few months your life will be so different.
 
Goodluck chaosong! Will be looking out for your posts and supporting you as best I can through your surgeries:)
 
Welcome! It will be really helpful after surgery if you work on upper body strength now. You'll need it for arranging yourself in bed, pushing up from a chair, using a walker, cane, etc. There are great folks on this site, so be sure to read lots of threads and ask questions so you're more prepared!
 
@chaosong hi Kelly!! Just checking in with my hip buddy. Hoping you're feeling good and I think you have made the right decision able using your vacation time. Although it seems a waste you do need to attend to your immediate well being. Hang I. There. We haven't got long to go now


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@fulafoto Hi Bill! Sorry, I didn't see that you had left a message--for some reason no email was sent (or if it was, I missed it). Thanks for checking in; it's good to hear from you. :) Yeah, it's been a rough couple of weeks, even with having taken off work a week earlier than planned. I'm much less worried than I was previously, though--partly because of all the support from you and other Bonesmart folks, of course, and partly because I'm pretty sure that post-op pain won't even touch what we've got going on now.

So how are you doing? Feeling ready? All packed? I have been picking away at packing for the last couple of days, and trying to get everything in order around the house. I'm hoping to be home in two or three days, but am packing for five; I figure if I don't, I'll be in for five for sure.

It looks like you are 14 hours ahead--does that sound right? So as you said before, we very well may wind up having surgery at the same time! They're supposed to call me sometime tomorrow to let me know when I'm scheduled for...so by this time tomorrow, we'll have a better idea....
 
Hi again Kelly @chaosong - yes I am starting to enter a stage of excitement and as you say the pain cant be anywhere near what we are experiencing at the moment. Packing is almost done and I am taking the bare minimum as my wife can bring me changes etc as needed. I have been told I will be in for 7-10 days with the possibility of 14 but MAY be out by 5 so I really have no idea how long I will be in for. I think one reason for an extended stay is that we don't have in home pt available for me here in Australia and I may be doing some rehab whilst at hospital.
14 hours sounds about right and similar to you I have to ring the hospital tomorrow morning (Tuesday) to find out my time. I will definitely let you know and would love to know yours as well - we can then work out where we will be at the same time - neat hey?
I am now finding myself in a state of impatience - being a typical man I guess I just want it to happen NOW!!!
I hope you manage well both physically and emotionally leading up to our huge life changes and take care xx
 
"This is another day, O Lord. I know not what it will bring
forth, but make me ready, Lord, for whatever it may be. If I
am to stand up, help me to stand bravely. If I am to sit still,
help me to sit quietly. If I am to lie low, help me to do it
patiently. And if I am to do nothing, let me do it gallantly.
Make these words more than words, and give me the Spirit
of Jesus. Amen".

Best wishes for you
 
@chaosong - I happen to see that you are having a surgery today. I know it's very scary but I totally know that it'll be ok. And then - with every day you'll feel better. I sincerely wish you a smooth surgery and a fast recovery. I'll keep you in my thoughts today (I remember how scary it was) and please know that you're having an extra positive energy sent your way by a stranger :) Big warm hugs to you...
 
@chaosong - thinking of you and hoping all goes fantastic as I know it will. Keep us posted xoxox


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Looking forward to reading about your recovery....you will soon be a hippie on the post op side...hope all went well xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom