New to Forum

Dad Run Track

Country
United States United States
Just stumble upon this site looking for resources for my upcoming surgery, and I'm glad I did. There are some valuable suggestion of items that are need to help in recovery. My surgery is scheduled 12/11/19. I am having a "Mako" double RTKR. Not staggard but both the same day. A little nervous but not my first rodeo (I have other prosthetics). So with the six weeks I have left, my plans are to prepare to have the best possible out come. I look forward to sharing this journey with my tribe.

Hi and Welcome!

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery.

Here’s some pre op reading for you:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Hi--be sure to ask us any questions you like. We've all either been there or are going through it with you. Jockette gave you some of the handy links to some of our reading material which can be great while you're waiting for the day.

Mako being the robot assisted? Only on the right or bilateral?
Great reading given to you and it helps to have everything set up beforehand. Let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks everyone, to clarify yes both knees replaced on the same day using the Mako assisited robotic surgery. This information on this site is amazing and help in calming some of my nervousness. Generally speaking how long will it take me to do a flight of stairs with two bad legs?
My bedroom and shower is on the second floor of my house.
Also should I rent a sleeping recliner or a hospital bed until I am well enough to climb the stairs for the first month (30 day rental min)

Dad Run Track,
Generally speaking how long will it take me to do a flight of stairs with two bad legs?
If you have a flight of stairs at home, you will be taught how to go up and down before you leave the hospital.
@Roy Gardiner had BTKR and can share how he negotiated stairs.

My bedroom and shower is on the second floor of my house.
In UK we have 'ground floor' and stairs to the 'first floor'. In USA you have 'first floor' at ground level and then stairs to 'second floor', I believe I'm correct in saying.

You will be fine. It will take you ten times as long as before, and you will come downstairs once and go back up once. As long as you have a bathroom on the ground level floor (see how I dodged that bullet there :)) you will not have a problem.

See my recovery thread from my sig below.

Roy
Thanks for your advice. I read your other posts and quite inspiring. I am starting to feel better about this.
I have a question for you about pre-op exercises to aid in recovery. Do you think it helps much?

Just started regime my PT gave me (1 week in) and my knees are not happy. This prehab is begin to feel like rehab. Not Fun.
I'm a (former) 40 yr competitive runner who just ran me knees into the ground, both bone on bone, torn miniscus in both. One repaired ACL/MCL from a soccer injury in 07.
Realized on our last vacation, Walking a mile and then back at the hotel ,I'm icing the rest of the evening, missing out on fun with my family, so I committed to the bilateral. I know I will never run again and I'm dealing with that. I had to quit surfing last year after my total shoulder replacement and that was difficult.

I have a question for you about pre-op exercises to aid in recovery. Do you think it helps much?
You are not going to increase any level of fitness with painful knees. Sounds like you are already fit anyway. I would baby those knees pre-op.

BTW - post op "rehab" should not be painful either. Pushing a post op knee is totally counter productive. You will not be in training. You will be healing. Time and patience is all that is needed.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads