Bilateral TKR New pain 10 mths post op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @conroesin
Good to hear that you are doing better. It is so nice to have the staples finally out!!
As for work, I'd wait till you can get around without being in a fog with the meds. Even tho you might be doing the phone and computer work at home it is still exhausting. Meds can fog up our work too. But it's totally up to whether you feel you are ready. Good luck!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, between the normal post op energy drain and the meds, I'd think you should probably take a couple of weeks more off or at the least phase with partial days.
 
@conroesin - going back to work will be mostly dependent your energy level and ability to concentrate. I was gung ho to go back at 8 weeks but there was no way I could stay engaged with work for a full day. It's really been the last week or two that I've had the energy to work. So I agree with kneeper..
 
Finally got around to posting a photo...this one inspires me because was taken on a relaxing, fun cruise with my family and friends, and I am looking forward to a repeat in March....and I plan to be walking every morning on the track that goes around the ship!!

I have a question regarding pain meds. I am now 5 weeks post op for BTKR. For those who are ahead of me, if you can remember, can you tell me what pain meds you were taking at this stage? And when were you able to wean off day time meds?
 
Well, I only had one knee done but the message is much the same - I was taking my full whack of pain meds for 4 full months - and needed them! And at 6 weeks, I had an upsurge in pain levels for some reason which meant I actually had to increase them for a couple of weeks! So don't be too coy about continuing to take them.
 
@conroesin i just found your thread. I am 9 1/2 weeks out from a BTKR. I was looking through my thread (puppylove's new knees) and at about four weeks I transitioned to Tramadol and Ibuprofen during the day so I could drive, and I was taking Norco 10/325 (10 mg hydrocodone and 325 mg acetaminophen) and 1 Benadryl at night. However, the Tramadol did not work for me. Ibuprofen helps the muscle pain (from stretching at PT) a bit. I've tried acetaminophen, Aleve (naproxen) and excedrin (works for my migraines, so I figured, why not try it) all to no avail. I and to go back to 1 Norco during the day when the pain is really bad AND when I don't have to drive. Norco does not make me tired or loopy, but like Yorkimom, I don't want any legal problems if I am in an accident. When I have to drive morning carpool I either take ibuprofen or nothing and deal with the pain. My carpool route takes about an hour ( I only do it a few times a week) and when I get out of the car I am very stiff. At this point I cannoy afford to stay ahead of the pain during the day because I have kids in school and hubby and I are the only drivers in the family with no extended family here.

I "rocked" my hip recovery (according to OS and PT) and really thought I'd be doing better at this point in my knee recovery. That was an unrealistic expectation on my part. At my last OS appt a month ago I asked if I was doing OK. He said "No, you're doing GREAT." PT also says I'm doing well. I'm not saying this to gloat. Many of us here on Bonesmart are used to being superwomen (and men) and even though we were in pain from arthritis we still got everything done. After surgery we are forced to slow down. Recovery is slow and painful. Energy drain forces me to still take a nap every afternoon. Sometimes I get home from carpool and sleep for 3-4 hours!

I can't answer your question about work. I was a substitute school nurse last school year and haven't worked since March. If I had a desk job I could probably work PT from home. I have read from other's experiences that things get better at 10-12 weeks. I'm hoping that is true for me. I really need to start job hunting.

Sorry- didn't mean to ramble on. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.
 
Puppylove, I am sort of in the same boat with kids in school, but fortunately, we live close enough that mine can walk most days or catch a ride with friends. My husband travels for work during the week, so I do need to get back on the road and I am taking way too much to do that now. I am still on Oxycontin 2 times a day, plus Percocet every 4-6 hours. I am trying to wean off so I can be clear at least a few hours each day so I can drive to PT, and do a few short errands. I am already on Celebrex because of other arthritis issues, so adding Motrin wouldn't give me added relief. I hope to get off the Oxycontin over Thanksgiving,take Tylenol in the morning, then take the Percocet from afternoon through bed time, which should give me some driving time in the mornings....hoping I can make that happen!
 
Hi Connie

Congratulations on your BTKR and you are now on the road to recovery now. I had BTKR in January 2014 and have done very well. I remember how I felt where you are now. Be patient with yourself and your healing process. I had to learn to do that and it was the most important thing I needed to learn. The medications make you tired and so does the healing. You need to rest. Your body and knees will remind you to rest and sleep. Since you work from home you will return to it faster than others but need a clear head and less meds to think well and make good decisions. I knew I was not ready to work because I just could not think really well or make smart decisions, it was hard to even discuss important issues or have an opinion on the meds. It will all take time. Don't rush it. You have been through 2 surgeries, another bilateral told me once, and it made me realize I was asking a lot of myself, so I slowed down and became patient and kind to myself. I had frustrations and tears of wishing I could do more, but came through all of it with flying colors and I am doing so well, there are times I forget I had both knees done. You will one day be able to look back on your recovery and be very proud of yourself and all that you accomplished. I am here for you if you ever want to ask anything or just talk about how it's going. This site was so helpful and encouraging to me throughout my recovery. Every here understands what you're going through and they have excellent advice and encouragement. I am so thankful to so many people here. Take care and be patient.
 
Yes, that could be a good plan for you @conroesin I think I was on Norco 4x day at 5 weeks.
 
@conroesin I took both Tramadol and Hydrocodone until 10 weeks - starting around 6 weeks I only took the Hydrocodone at night. If I knew I had to drive, I would just take Tylenol, but that just wouldn't cut it for pain relief unfortunately. My husband also travels a lot for work, so I'd have to drive my son to soccer practice, etc.

I stopped the Hydrocodone at 10 weeks, but still take Tramadol as needed. I went back to work at 13 weeks, and I honestly know I couldn't have gone any earlier. I did fine pain-wise at work but it hit me once I got home (I went back part-time for 4 hours a day). After two weeks back, it's definitely better, but I still worry about going back full-time after Thanksgiving break.

I still tend to need one Tramadol late afternoon after I've worked, as I get quite achey once I'm home. I take two Aleves in the morning, which get me through work without too much pain. I usually take some Tylenol before bed. For now, the continued stiffness is my biggest problem. Exhaustion is a close second- although that has really improved over the last few weeks as I've built up stamina working each day.
 
I am now 7.5 weeks postop and have come a LONG way since my last post. Over about a 10 day period I was able to drop the OxyContin then wean off the daytime Percocet, switching to Tramadol and Tylenol. I do take hydro codone at night and sometimes Ambien 5mg because getting comfortable so I can sleep is still hard, especially if I have done too much that day. Getting off all those meds actually has made me feel soooo much better! I have some aches and pains, but my energy and attitude are greatly improved. I have given up the cane except on rare occasions when I have a long walk on unfamiliar terrain. This week, I resumed working from home, very much part/time...just 2 hrs a day max, but my work is always part time so that's fine. I do get tired and need afternoon naps. It's odd to me that I get mentally tired as well as physically tired so much more than "normal".

At PT, they are adding small ankle weights so I can start building up muscles. I have very skinny legs, so really need to get stronger.

I have started preparing very simple meals, thawing and preparing things from my freezer, driving my kids and running simple errands. It feels so good to have my independence back! I have to be very careful to not overdue it because I really pay for it at night. I know I still have a long way to go, but I am very happy with my progress at this point.
 
Thank you so much for your posts. I have really enjoyed reading your thread. I also had BTKR, I'm just a few weeks behind you and 4 weeks. I also have had horrible pain issues! Still working on the correct "recipe".


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had successful btkr last October. I have excellent ROM and had returned to a normal life. A few weeks ago I started having sharp pain in right knee when going up and down stairs or any weight bearing while bending the knee. If I completely avoid those activities for a few days I am mostly pain free. I went to my son's school for Meet the Teacher night and had to go up and downstairs several times. Was in pain for a few days.

My OS xrayed and said prosthesis looks fine. Thought it might be synovitis so put me on Medrol dosepak for inflammation. It didnt help at all.

Could it be scar tissue? As I said ROM is great, i am not stiff, but it feels like sharp pain in joint, under kneecap.

I have had to stop exercising, which I really need to be doing to fight arthritis in back and shoulders. So depressing!

I am making appt to see OS again.

Any ideas what it could be?
 
Conroesin,
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your right knee, it could be scar tissue. Was your knee cap resurfaced on your right knee?
Recommend if the OS does not have any answers for you that you seek a second opinion, with an OS that specializes in revisions, as they have the experience to determine what is happening with your RTKR.
If you have access to a pool, swimming or pool exercise may be easier on your knee and allow you to exercise.
Hope you find some answers soon,
 
You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.

I'll second the advice Pumpkln provided for you. If you didn't get a patellar button, it could be that now you need one. I'm going to tag @Josephine. She'll come along and ask you to pinpoint the area of pain and then she'll be able to advise you about any additional steps to take.
 
@conroesin, can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] New pain 10 mths post op


[Bonesmart.org] New pain 10 mths post op
 
Primarily DRF2. Feels like under knee cap. I believe i have patellar button, if that is what you call the metal part on underside of kneecap.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom