Guest viewing is limited

New Knees for LinKay

Thanks! Yeah, we'd be in a full service condo (freezer w ice maker) and could get an accessible room near the elevator. I keep going back and forth on booking.
 
, @Jennszoo 7 hours is a long ride at 6 weeks. You'd need to stop every hour or so to take a walk and probably ride in the back with your leg propped up on the seat. There's still a huge energy drain at 6 weeks as well as the possibility of swelling.
 
@Jennszoo
Now that you've been advised about your travel later this year, would you mind please asking your questions in your pre-op thread? This is LinKay's recovery thread, and we don't want to hijack it by talking about your recovery, do we?
 
Sorry! Didn't mean to hijack. I am glad she was able to enjoy her cruise!
 
Wondering if the Tylenol/Ibuprofen cocktail 3x's a day is still effective and recommended for pain and swelling?
I am off of oxycodone and wanting to reduce swelling.
I am religious about icing and elevating.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Let's ask @Josephine about your pain/swelling. She'll probably ask how long you're elevating/icing at a time.
 
I elevate for an hour and keep the ice on for a minimum of 20 minutes and I do this several times a day 3 minimum typically 4


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Until you hear from Josephine I think you should ice for 40-60 minutes (a quote from Jo) each time you ice. You do little with just 20 minutes of ice. If you're swollen ice toes above nose for that hour. I used to lay flat on the sofa, put my legs on the sofa arm and ice until I felt the swelling diminish. You can safely take 4,000mg of Tylenol a day, just be sure no other meds you're taking contain acetaminophen.
 
Got it thanks KarriB
Am currently elevated and icing will make sure to time it
I am blessed that I had two friends with ice machines so I have one for each knee. My husband jokingly says that the ice will end up costing more than the surgery LOL


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You don't have to keep buying ice. Lots of people freeze small bottles of water and find that they work even better than ice. You just need to find the size that fits your machine.
 
Yes I used frozen water bottles and I have an ice maker in my fridge. It was just easier to rotate frozen water bottles than playing with ice all the time. Frozen water bottles stay cold longer too.
 
I filled up butter tubs with water and froze those, along with the water bottles. Making your own ice works and lasts much longer than buying those bags of ice. I also ice all the time I was elevating, which was all the time I was sitting! You can't over ice, as long as you keep a towel between you and the ice container! I was addicted to ice instead of pain meds!
 
Yes I used frozen water bottles and I have an ice maker in my fridge. It was just easier to rotate frozen water bottles than playing with ice all the time. Frozen water bottles stay cold longer too.

I understand the issue is one of space in our freezer for water bottles
I'll check but my hubby is the chef and grocery shopper thus he has filled the freezer up.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I understand the issue is one of space in our freezer for water bottles
I'll check but my hubby is the chef and grocery shopper thus he has filled the freezer up.
Well, it seems your husband has a choice:
Either he makes room in the freezer for water bottles, or he keeps buying ice, which would also take up room in the freezer.
 
Have you had your queries answered, LinKay?

@Josephine
My original question was: now I am off oxycodone is the Tylenol/ iburophen combination still a correct protocol for pain and inflammation
It was from a very old thread and have not found it updated
Basically 3 x a day 1000 mg Tylenol 800 mg ibuprofen that is a max of 3000 mg of acetaminophen a day
I am not taking anything else that has acetaminophen in it I was just wondering about the combination
Thank You


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I would share this picture of myself my husband and our friends walking to the height of 3,600 ft above sea level at Black Rock Mountain in Dillard, Ga
I am the blond in the turquoise shirt! I am 6 months post Bilateral knee replacement (actually they were done a week apart as the doc would not do them the same day)
I am so grateful to have two great new knees that got me up and down this mountain. Would not have been able to do this last year!

IMG_0890.JPG



Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That is awesome! Great picture as well. Sometime for us to aspire to -- lovely hikes with good knees!
 
You look great! What a wonderful photo--and it's so nice to hear from someone who is doing so well!
 
Thank you for posting this update. You look great and what you are able to do now is so encouraging! Well done.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom