Guest viewing is limited

New knee on the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read this quote today. Need to tape it to my bathroom mirror for those times I'm discouraged during this whole process!
"I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."
 
[Bonesmart.org] New knee on the way
Maybe this would do--print it, cut it out, and tape it up where you need it.
 
Had my joint replacement class at the hospital today. That kind of gives you a reality check in that my surgery is not to far away! One thing I did notice is that everything they discussed today I have already learned here on this site from all of you and from the list of reading materials. I still am a firm believer in reading everything you can about your procedure and recovery. Knowledge gives you power and a sense of confidence. Am I still anxious? Waver on my decision? Absolutely!!!! I had a little panic attack this past Tuesday. But I'm determined to move forward!!
 
@midwest girl, I had a RTKR on March 27th, 2014. I can totally understand your fears. I worked the day prior to my surgery and could hardly make it through the day due to anxiety. There were many times leading up to the day that I wanted to cancel my surgery due to fear. I am now 3 weeks post op. I won't say it's been easy but every day it gets better. The 1st two weeks were the worst. I went home from the hospital 2 days after the surgery on a Saturday afternoon. My husband was home with me for the weekend then went to work on Monday. He would make sure I had bottled water in the bedroom and anything else I needed. I only had to get up to use the restroom. At first the pain meds made me sick so I kept crackers by my bedside. He came home at lunch and made me soup which was all I wanted for the first week. I am now able to take care of myself. I am still taking pain medication but I tolerate it better now. I don't plan on driving or going back to work until 6 weeks are up. I still use my crutches at the advice of my Dr. but mostly just for security. I wish you well and a speedy recovery. I have read many posts on this website and it seems there are some that recover much more quickly than I have. I hope that is the case for you. Whoops, I'm actually 4 weeks post op.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you @Daina for the feedback and well wishes!! Wishing you continued success in your recovery!!!
 
Was it reassuring in the joint class to realize that you'd already learned a lot here?
 
Yes @kneeper it was! It really did make me feel like I was pretty prepared on what to expect. The things I did learn that I haven't come across here is no shaving your legs for a week prior and they put a big emphasis on keeping healthy and having no cuts on your skin. Things that could cancel your surgery. One of the first things they check when you come in for surgery is your urine. If it comes back indicating a UTI your surgery could be cancelled. They also had a knee prosthesis there. I was really surprised at how heavy it is. They also emphasize ice, elevate and take your meds on time. There were only 3 of us in the class two TKA and one hip. And the other TKAs surgery is the same day as mine and it was the mother of a friend of mine.
 
I almost forgot about no shaving the legs. I was also told no gardening which surprised me. As it was December in the Northeast that was easy. I was told it was not to chance any kind of infection. Good luck with your upcoming surgery!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Yes, I worked in the yard all day and I have several scratches and bruises. I won't be doing it again for fear of more scratches and just due to the fact that it is agonizing! I'm icing my knees now just to get relief - and it definitely works. I do think that is one of my concerns - cuts, scrapes & scratches within that last week before surgery.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I remember now being very paranoid the closer I got to my surgery date. I used a lot of antibacterial soap!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
I remember before my first one my OS had a prosthesis in the office and let me hold it. It felt kind of heavy but in the big scheme of things it isn't. I think Josephine has posted what the weight actually is. Being able to hold it gives you an appreciation of the technology--but also of our original bodies that can bend, move and hold us up. :)
 
I saw my OS for my pre-op visit and to take current x-rays. He did have good news in that he said my left knee was better than he expected - no bone on bone. He thought I could get at least 5 more years out of it. I'm not so sure in that I still have some pain in that knee. But I'm going to attribute that to that leg having to do more work to compensate for the bad right knee. He answered several questions as to what implant he uses, does he ever have to do revisions and why, anesthetic used and just answering general questions on pain meds, length of hospital stay and when I would be able to drive. I did ask him about scratches and cuts just because one of the instructors at the joint class said that cuts etc could be cause for surgery cancellation. Saturday I worked all day in the yard and received quite a few scratches and lots of bruises, mostly to my arms. (I worked way too much and paid for it that night - my knees were screaming for relief - and ice worked great!). He said he is concerned about nasty scratches (like cat scratches) and cuts to the legs. He said he very rarely cancels a surgery. The scratches I did get this weekend will be healed by my surgery but it definitely moved up the starting date for when the kid I've hired to mow my lawn will start. I just don't want to take a chance - and when I mow, those rose bushes tend to somehow find my legs! All I have left is my pre-op medical check up next week with my doctor and then the following week is surgery! Time has gone by so fast and I feel like I still have a million things to get done!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom