New knee on the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, a leg lifter was essential! :)

The quads won't be working right away so the leg lifter is the manual way to move the leg around. And also, no one had to touch my leg; if you have someone who tries to be helpful and lift your leg, like into a car....... well, let's just say using the leg lifter allowed me to move my own leg slowly without hurting it.

Doesn't have to be fancy. I used a physical therapy belt with a loop on the end that my physical therapist fashioned for me.



[Bonesmart.org] New knee on the way
 
@1ELISEA did you use your leg lifter while you were at the hospital also? I didn't know if the nurses or in-house helped you get back in bed etc. since I will be by myself at home, I would think a belt lifter will be if great use to me.
 
The PT at the hospital made the loop and gave me her PT belt on the second day.
I was only at the hospital two nights/ two days (48 hours) before going to my sister's home. I used it getting into the car when leaving the hospital and then at my sister's.

People try to help and lift your leg for you, and even though they are gentle, it can hurt. So lifting it myself allowed me to do it as slowly as I needed to prevent pain. And it was invaluable getting in and out of bed, the car and shower.

As for the nurses, they were very close by when I was moving to prevent a fall. But initially, I or they lifted the leg, thus what prompted the physical therapist to give me her PT belt.

Also, if you don't have one, get a hand held massaging shower head so that you can sit on your shower or bath chair and gently massage your knee with the water. :)
 
Thank you @1ELISEA for your valuable insight! Yes, I already have the shower chair and the hand held shower head. I will definitely look for a leg lift. I'm slowly amassing all the things I will need.
 
@1ELISEA I went and checked out a leg lifter and a home medical supply store today. It was longer than I expected and was very rigid except for the loop at each end. There is no way you could pack that in a bag/suitcase. I've read where someone used a dog leash and it worked well for them. Also read where another used a sash off of a robe. I may try one of those things. I just wasn't expecting it to be so rigid. I understand it would probably be easier to use tho.
 
I've been reading mentions of tourniquet pain. Exactly what is that and does everyone go through that? I know a tourniquet is used but what is the pain associated with that?
 
I was lucky and didn't need a leg lifter once I got home. They showed me a technique of using the other leg to help the operated one.
 
Yesterday was such a horrible day for me pain wise. A lot of walking, several times up and down stairs (which I usually avoid) and then after that a trip to Wal-Mart. I have also pulled a muscle in my side which just added to my misery. It was bad enough that last night walking around my house I had to use my cane. I took an oxycodon and a flexeril at bedtime. Woke up this morning feeling much better. I told my friend who will be helping me out after my surgery, that May 13th (my RTKA) couldn't come fast enough. Also told her to not let me forget saying that when after my surgery I'm whining 'why did I ever decide to do this!' :) She said that no she wouldn't ever let me forget my reasons why.
 
I never knew there was such a thing as a leg-lifter, but I guess I managed just fine without one. I didn't have a shower chair either. I did have the toilet seat riser and that was wonderful! As for tourniquet pain, I remember having it when I had my arthroscopic surgeries and at the time thought the pain from it was worse than the actual surgical pain. Although I know I had a tourniquet during my TKR's (I remember with the first one, a man's voice saying "I'm going to put a tourniquet on your leg now," and then waking up in recovery!) but it didn't seem to bother me at all with either one. Hard to predict, I guess.
 
I have a new situation that is happening with my knee and am wondering if this has happened to anyone else or what it might even be. This is happening with my right knee, the one I'm having TKA on. Usually when I get up in the morning my knee will have a loud pop. I just always assumed that it was my knee aligning back up. I have a torn PCL in that knee. And this popping never hurt- I would just shake my leg and go on. But starting this past Thursday or Friday, everytime I get up it is doing that popping and some times with every step. And it's becoming painful and my knee is swelling. It is sore on the outer side of my knee. It now feels like that ligament on the outside of the knee is rolling across and snapping back. And that's where all the swelling is occurring. I'm just wondering if I am doing more damage to my knee, or can I just deal with it until I see my OS for my pre-op on April 28. Any ideas?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I read awhile back on this site that a lady changed the laces in her shoes to make them "no tie" laces or elastic laces. I want to have a pair of comfortable athletic type shoe to wear during recover, but not a pair that requires me to tie the laces. I would never be able to reach my shoe to do that. Does anybody recall what they were? Or where to get them?
 
Kind of having a hard night or maybe it's just a pity party with a little fear and a little anxiety added in. I haven't had my surgery yet but as the day gets closer I'm getting a little more anxious/nervous, which I think is normal. And I'm starting to feel like the few friends I talk to about my surgery are just tired of hearing about it which makes me think I'll be doing this recovery alone. I don't think people realize what a major surgery this and one that I don't take lightly. I know that it is a long process to total healing. It just makes me not even want to talk about it anymore. Just grin and bear it and put up that facade that everything is ok. Does anyone else go through this?
 
I also live alone and had my two large pups to take care of. Before I had my surgery done I filled my freezer and pantry with microwaveable meal and snacks. I bought paper plates and plastic ware so I did not have to worry about doing dishes. I filled my fridge with drinks and filled up the dog food bin to the top. I had al little desk by the couch filled with books and paper. My best friend lived across the street and would check on me but she was recovering from a mastectomy and the chemo days were rough on her. When I needed to take a shower we had a system set up I would call her before I took a shower and as soon as I got out of the shower. If I did not call her back within a reasonable amount of time she was to come to the house to make sure I had not fallen.

For the most part I was able to take care of myself and my pups. I have a fenced yard so I did not have to walk them. The only thing I could not do was mow the yard. I used a jump rope to help me lift my leg when I needed to get up. I only wore the socks with grippers on the bottom. When I went to the store or PT I wore my sneakers I kept the laces loose and had a shoe horn with a long handle.

Being anxious is normal. Relax and try to do something that you enjoy and keep reminding yourself soon the surgery will be over and you will be on your way to recovery. Recovery is not a scary place it is the road to freedom from pain.

No need to grin and bear it when you need someone to listen we are here.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well we tend to get a little obsessed in anticipation of the surgery. I'm sure it isn't as endlessly fascinating to our friends as it is to us.:heehee: I wouldn't read into it that they won't be there for you post surgery.
 
I see that several people write that they slept in their recliners, that it was more comfortable then their beds. How difficult was it to get up and out of the recliner? What is the best technique? Some days I struggle getting up out of it with knees that have good ROM. How am I going to handle it after surgery?
 
Midwest girl, welcome and good luck to you next month. In response to your question about help, I've had several knee procedures, and have had to use a walker, then crutches, then a cane. While on the walker and crutches, I needed someone to fetch food, drinks, etc as I couldn't handle those myself. Also, since I was totally spacey on pain meds and the residual from the anesthesia, it was helpful to have someone else keep track of the times until I was alert enough myself to keep track. Everyone is different, but my advice is take as much help as you can get at first (as long as it's not too much help...lol) and then as you improve, you can do more and more on your own. My husband is taking time off work (again) to take care of me until I shoo him back to work, whether it's a few days, a week or even 2 or 3 weeks. We are fortunate that he has months of sick/vacation leave and can take as much time as needed. In the past, I've had him home full days for a while, then he'd make sure I had whatever I needed in the am, work a half day, then come home. Then he'd do the same, call and/or run home at lunch in case I needed anything, then work the afternoon. While I am amazed at those who can go home and do for themselves, I don't recommend it unless you have no other options. I think everyone should have at least a couple of days of help, but that's my humble opinion, others may disagree.
 
Thanks @lovetocookandsew After I leave the hospital I will be going to a friends house for about a week. After that I will be going home. I've lined up friends to take me to PT and have hired someone to mow my lawn for the summer. And I know I will have friends checking in on me. Best wishes to you on your surgery tomorrow!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom