My Physical Therapist told me to only do those until they started getting painful and then to stop....I Liked her! She came to the house three times a week for three weeks and after that I've been on my own, but the doctor ordered more PT for me, when I was there last Friday. That won't be in home visits though, I have to actually leave the house for those.....I think I'm spoiled now.
I only walked outside once so far, back in January when we had a really nice day. I walked up to the corner and back. I , like you, have had the problem with my left hip hurting if I walk for long. In fact I asked the doctor if they could X-ray it and they are going to do that when I go back in three weeks. I was noticing that before my surgery and I was thinking that it may have something to do with the way I was walking back then (knob kneed) and was hoping it would be better after my replacement. I wasn't thrilled when I couldn't even make it up to the corner without it bothering me. Our weather has been too nasty lately to where I would want to walk outside. Anytime that I've done a fair amount of walking it's when I've gotten out to a store. My husband made me get ready and leave the house last night, to get me out and moving more. We walked a bit at the mall and my hip was bothering me again tonight. That was the first time out since Friday, when I went to the doctor. I know I need to try and do that more often, but I think I've had a bit of a stomach bug or something and haven't felt up to par. I cut back on a lot the knee exercises I was doing since Friday when I started feeling bad.
Hate to hear you're still having problems with your sciatica . Is it getting better at all? The pain I was having in my rear finally let up, thank goodness. We have an exercise bike in our basement. I think I may see if my husband can move that upstairs and I can try riding that.one of my friends said to peddle backwards, when first trying to use it, because it hurts less and is easier to do I got a feeling if I go for more PT visits they will most likely have me doing that, or at least will suggest it. Take Care!