MUA New Knee #2 Recovery<

@Josephine Could you advise on the home exercises that outpatient pt sent home with me yesterday. I do these at the facility as well plus bike (6 minutes back and forth only). Yesterday they did some electrical muscle stimulation as soon as I got there as well. Here are the others:

Heel slides - 20 times holding at 5 seconds
Leg prop - hold 60 seconds x2
Short arc quad- 10 x2
Long arc quad - 10 x2
Long sitting hamstring stretch - hold 30 seconds x2
Heel raises - 10 x2
Gastric stretch - 30 second hold x 2

Reason I'm asking is my left hip is really bothering me today and thigh is more sore than usual. Knee is the same as usual so it didn't cause any more pain, stiffness or swelling that wasn't already there prior to pt.

I go back tomorrow afternoon for it again. Thank you in advance for any advice you have.

Could you advise on the home exercises that outpatient pt sent home with me yesterday. Reason I'm asking is my left hip is really bothering me today and thigh is more sore than usual
I'm not surprised!
Heel slides - 20 times holding at 5 seconds
Leg prop - hold 60 seconds x2
Short arc quad- 10 x2
Long arc quad - 10 x2
Long sitting hamstring stretch - hold 30 seconds x2
Heel raises - 10 x2
Gastric stretch - 30 second hold x 2
I wouldn't do any of these.
Heel slides at that rate can cause a lot of pain - you should read this Heel slides and how to do them properly
Leg prop is a new one on me and I don't like what they are asking you to do there
The arc quads are likewise injurious
Stretches I don't mind and they're not asking you to do many
Heel raises - wouldn't do them either!

It's not the exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. One thing that seems to be missing from all the PT's protocols is that all your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself. In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

I recommend you read my recovery thread to see how little exercising I did for either knee! Knee recoveries UK style Parts I & II (Josephine)

@Josephine thank you for your input! The leg prop is just my heel on a rolled towel and relaxing the knee..no pushing down or anything just a natural stretch. But if it's not good I will stop it along with the others you mentioned. I will definitely read your recovery thread.

I measured 110/6 yesterday at 6 weeks. I thought it was pretty good. I had a different pt yesterday who didn't seem to like it and went to push the knee down and I told her absolutely not. She looked at me like I'd lost my mindbut didn't touch it lol.

The leg prop is just my heel on a rolled towel and relaxing the knee..no pushing down or anything just a natural stretch. But if it's not good I will stop it along with the others you mentioned.
No, don't stop it! It sounds good!
I measured 110/6 yesterday at 6 weeks. I thought it was pretty good.
It's most excellent for 6 weeks out. And I'm proud of you for standing up to the PT!

Anyone have a lot of leg twitching/jumping going on? 7 weeks post op and it just wants to constantly jump around, especially at night so I don't sleep much. Talked to OS today at my check up and he said unfortunately it's normal and not much can be done about it, nerves waking up and such. He said I could start using melatonin again or he will call in a rx for a sleep aid if the melatonin doesn't work. He's happy with knee progress and wants to see me again in 3 weeks. He will evaluate then whether or not to continue pt. Asked about going back to work part time. I work for weight watchers so I only work 2-3 hours daily (about 4 days a week pre surgery). I can sit but knee doesn't like it bent for long and standing that long is out of the question. He said I could but only 1-2 days a week and only on non pt days. Thinks it will be too much. He prefers I wait until next follow up to make that decision. So that's pretty close to the 12 week mark recommended here.

On the pt front they have been great so far. Changed my home exercises today to gentle stretches only to help with extension. Measured 125/+5 today . Can't seem to get past 5...been there for 2 weeks now.

Right knee is starting to give me issues so keeping fingers crossed it holds up. It's not bone on bone but it's gotten more aggravated since the surgery and I really don't want to do this again lol.

Hope everyone is having a good day and are enjoying life.

My PA told me to try heat on my quad, but it didn't really help. It just stopped one night by itself!

Well apparently emptying and reloading the dishwasher, going to lunch (first restaurant visit since surgery), going to Sam's club and back home was a bit much for Ms. Knee today. She's being very cranky right now :tantrum2: . So it's Bonesmart, Netflix, elevate and :ice::ice::ice:.

It's just another day of TKR recovery :heehee:

Yes, that was way too much!

Good thing you know how to fix it!

I hope you had a nice lunch, though!

@Jockette it was nice getting out. Went to Red Robin so I parked my leg up in a booth lol.

You’re lucky you can sit like that in a booth. I have trouble sitting with my foot up on something the same height as the seat I’m sitting on.

It’s hard to not over do it when you are feeling good- I learned that the hard way! Glad you are now taking it easy. I’m 8 weeks out yesterday, the twitchy quad thing started at about 6 weeks and still happens at night. Can’t wait until that goes away. I have a new appreciation for those that suffer from restless leg syndrome.

Yea wasn't exactly lady like but I can't sit with it hanging off a chair or even tjis booth. I have, as my dear hubby calls them, short stubby legs :rotfl:

As I sit with 3 ice packs on my operated leg and 1 on the supposed good knee (ha), my husband looks at me and says your like the ice queen huh? I just looked at him and said call me Elsa:ice::ice:

Missing the fireworks tonight but it's ok..thanks to technology I can stream Disneyworlds fireworks show. Probably better than what our town would do :heehee:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back