BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[MUA] New Knee #2 Recovery<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Txmomgmom3, May 8, 2018.

1. Txmomgmom3

Txmomgmom3 senior

United States United States
    Made it through surgery this morning. I'm in quite a bit of pain and they are trying to manage but it's not working too well. Been nauseated all afternoon and finally got sick this evening . Thankfully my daughter was here and just held my head and stroked my hair. Was able to get up and sitt in a chair for a bit and they are putting me in cpm device tomorrow. Got in room from recovery and my hubby had already gone and got me some beautiful flowers and 2 cupcakes with roses piped on them and a balloon.
    I know it will get better and I'm trying to stay positive but this is rough. Thank you for letting me ranr!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Relle

Relle member

Australia Australia
    Sending my best wishes. The first few days can be very difficult. Sounds like you have a great support team with your husband and daughter. Take care and hopefully you will be feeling better soon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. VonnieN

VonnieN member

Australia Australia
    Welcome sorry to hear you are in pain. I am sure others here qualified to provide a support response. I will say that I was fortunate not to have pain because I had a spinal block so had no pain on first day but the second day the morphine and endone made me feel like you do now. I hope they get it under control quickly for you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @Txmomgmom3
    Welcome to recovery.

I'm sorry you've had a bad time so far. Hang in there - they should soon get your medications under control.

Did you realise that you can ask for, and be given, medication to control nausea and vomiting?

Here is some reading for you - the BoneSmart guide to recovery:
    Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
    Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
    Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not long and they and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hope your pain is under better control now and you're no longer having nausea. Some painkillers leave folks feeling quite "off" even if they do control the pain.

Otherwise, it sounds like you're doing really well! Walking a little, sitting up in a chair. Feeling more like yourself, right? :flwrysmile: And your husband and daughter rock! Love how they are taking such good care of you. :roseshwr:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jajakio

Jajakio graduate

It's not uncommon for pain killers (either those used during the surgery or afterwards) to cause nausea. The good news is there are plenty of anti nausea remedies. My twin sister had TKR two years before me and she had to stay in the hospital an extra day to get her vomiting under control. So I went in knowing I would likely have nausea issues. The hospital was extremely proactive though. I got anti nausea drugs and a scopolamine patch presurgery, anti nausea drugs in my IV bag, and pills to take home with me. I wasnt queasy once.

If you are still experiencing nausea, ask for help. Sometimes it requires switching to a different kind of pain pill, sometimes it is enough to take anti nausea pills along with your meds. You will likely be on some kind of pain medication for at least the next few weeks, so be sure whatever you are going home with for pain is going to be tolerable for you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Be sure and keep ice on that knee, too. It's a really good pain reliever and swelling reducer.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Yes, they can give you antinausea meds and/or change the medication. They did that for me for my 2nd knee.

• Like Like x 2
  9. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I took motion-sickness pills that helped my nausea. I took them the whole time I was on paid meds. They helped a lot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. PolarBear60

PolarBear60 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I hope you're feeling better today.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Txmomgmom3

Txmomgmom3 senior

I'm still in the hospital..nausea is still an issue but I think it's the meds and I will just have to deal with it . He's given me nausea medication but it's not doing much. He's concerned now about my low potassium but we are hoping they will be in the normal range tomorrow morning. The pain is excruciating especially after using the cpm machine. However the hospital pt guy is happy with my walking and we worked on getting up stairs today since i will have to get up 14 steps at home to my nesting place. I will update tomorrow. Thank you everyone :loveshwr:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. DebM

DebM senior

Australia Australia
    I had the same problem and refused the cpm machine. Nursing staff were a bit cranky but surgeon didn’t mind. It didn’t affect my recovery, but it did ease some of my pain

• Like Like x 3
  14. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I know how scary it can be to refuse to do something they tell you to do, but seriously, you can.

Someone told me to be sure to get a cpm machine, she liked it and felt it helped her. At one of my PT sessions I asked about it and my PT told me it was old school, which surprised me.

You will find throughout this recovery many opinions about things. Which means there’s no one set way to do things. So you choose what’s best for you. Your surgeon and nurses are not going home with the pain you have from the machine.

Are you going home after discharge from the hospital? You will feel much better about the control you have at home about your recovery.
    :console2:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Txmomgmom3

Txmomgmom3 senior

@Celle Again thank you for the information. Tbey came in yestetday to adjust a cpm machine for me to take home. I'm pretty sure that is it getting any use once I'm home!

16. Txmomgmom3

Txmomgmom3 senior

@DebM. Thank you and I will tell them no machine today.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jockette

If you are not going to use it at home, why take it?

Check with your insurance about whether or not they cover it and if there’s any part you have to pay for.

No point paying for something you’re not going to use. Especially something unnecessary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Txmomgmom3

Txmomgmom3 senior

@Jockette Thank you for words of wisdom. I am going home after discharge, however I don't know if it will be today or tomorrow now. Dr is adjusting pain meds once again and we have both decided the nausea is better than the pain. The entire leg is literally throbbing this morning . I will just eat lots of saltines if needed.

19. Jockette

I sure hope they get your pain to a manageable level! I did not have pain like that, I’m so sorry you do. :console2:

Are they encouraging you to do exercises? If so, tell them you hurt too much right now to do them.

I did not have any exercises to do in the hospital. They only had me take a couple of short walks. Maybe that’s why my pain score was lower.

I was only in the hospital one night. My nurses and PTs were very nice and caring.

20. Txmomgmom3

Txmomgmom3 senior

They are only having me do short walks and 3 stairs yesterday to help for when I am home. Dr and pt did say no exercise right now but they want to use that cpm device 3x a day but I will be telling them no today. They are all very nice though

• Like Like x 2