THR New Hippie day 12 post op

FLGal
I am 8 days behind you in recovery. I kind of thought it would be easier than it is. I guess it was ignorance on my part.
PT yesterday said to continue with walker as my hip is not strong enough for a cane yet. I know we all heal at different rates ..I pictured myself as the one who is up and about in weeks. I know now that it isn’t the case and I need patience. She said the 3 week mark will show more improvement.
Agree that it would be nice for a comfy bed..I don’t know which way to turn sometimes..I have no need for meds as there is no pain except after pt and then it is more of an ache..then I get hip spasms..i iced last night and it felt great..I backed off exercise today and have only had one after I had done a few things around the house.
 
I definitely feel as if the left leg is longer than the right (good hip). Is this normal?
Most new hippies feel this. The good news is in most cases this feeling just fades. Give it 3-4 months before doing anything. Here's a link to an article from our Library on this: Leg length differential - LLD
 
Most new hippies feel this. The good news is in most cases this feeling just fades. Give it 3-4 months before doing anything. Here's a link to an article from our Library on this: Leg length differential - LLD
Thank you so much!!! This makes me feel a lot better. Living in FL I am in sandals most of the year .... heel lift would just not work.
 
FLGal
I am 8 days behind you in recovery. I kind of thought it would be easier than it is. I guess it was ignorance on my part.
PT yesterday said to continue with walker as my hip is not strong enough for a cane yet. I know we all heal at different rates ..I pictured myself as the one who is up and about in weeks. I know now that it isn’t the case and I need patience. She said the 3 week mark will show more improvement.
Agree that it would be nice for a comfy bed..I don’t know which way to turn sometimes..I have no need for meds as there is no pain except after pt and then it is more of an ache..then I get hip spasms..i iced last night and it felt great..I backed off exercise today and have only had one after I had done a few things around the house.

And I am just the opposite.....I thought this would have been much harder! I expected to be using a walker for a month before transitioning to a cane, as opposed to it happening after only two weeks.

The sleeping thing is getting old. Another part of my problem getting comfortable is that my sleeping side is the side of my surgery. I don’t see that returning for a while. We are looking into getting a new mattress....maybe that will help.

I think back to 8 days ago (where you are now in your recovery) and I was still pretty stiff and sore. But I ASSURE you, every day gets better. There are times now when I get up from a chair and forget to grab my cane. Mind you, after about 5 steps I realize it, but I think that’s a pretty good sign.

Hang in there and keep in touch!
 
We have gone to FL for past 8 years but my hip was so bad this year we skipped it. I miss it!
We stay on Gulf side between Clearwater and St Pete usually.
Hoping to get there in April.
Before surgery I had a lot of groin pain and still do..hope that fades fast...

You hang in also!
 
We have gone to FL for past 8 years but my hip was so bad this year we skipped it. I miss it!
We stay on Gulf side between Clearwater and St Pete usually.
Hoping to get there in April.
Before surgery I had a lot of groin pain and still do..hope that fades fast...

I have no pain whatsoever anymore, just stiffness in the musculature they had to cut through to get to the hip. I had an anterolateral approach. Is that what you had? Or direct anterior?
 
I have no pain whatsoever anymore, just stiffness in the musculature they had to cut through to get to the hip. I had an anterolateral approach. Is that what you had? Or direct anterior?
 
I had to look up the various kinds :heehee:
I had posterior. There seem to be pros and cons to all. I guess faith in your surgeon...
 
@FLGal, I’m a bit late to the party, but welcome to the forum. The best advice I can give you is to take your meds when you need to, rest, elevate, and ice, ice, baby!

Had my surgery on 10/3 and I’m doing well. This is the second hip I’ve had done. I hate sleeping on my back. I am lucky enough to have an adjustable bed. I didn’t have that when I had my knee done though. I bought a wedge pillow at Target to elevate my head and shoulders. I put a pillow under my leg to elevate the knee. I also put pillows on both side for my arms. I was surrounded by pillows. It’s hard to sleep when you hurt. I spent about 2 weeks sleeping in my recliner too.

I am only 4 weeks out, but I haven’t done any PT with the exception of a couple they gave me in the hospital. I started out walking around the house, then went and walked around the pool in the yard, then moved to walking to the end of the street and back. Your hip will let you know when it’s time to rest. It gets easier, believe me. I also felt like one leg was longer than the other, but don’t give it a thought now. It will resolve I think.

Also, taking 250 of magnesium citrate every night before bed soothes your system and helps you sleep. It worked wonders for me last year after my first surgery. Good luck and good to know you are feeling better.
 
Today is day 17. I do a few exercises also. Walking has been a challenge as we have had cold and rain but today should be better. We are in a small split level home so pretty tough to walk much. Even with the walker I feel as if my limp is the same as before.
I was having hip spasms but they are getting less and less each day.
I do feel improvements daily....it’s all about baby steps!
 
Greetings all from FL!

Funny you should ask today about my prior post re: leg length discrepancy.....

First I am proud to announce at 8 weeks post-op, I finished my PT this afternoon! Wooo hooo! That’s my PT Jeremiah posing with me for the occasion.
[Bonesmart.org] New Hippie day 12 post op


I am feeling great with minimal stiffness and no “pain” to speak of. I used a cane for two weeks after using a walker for two weeks and that was it. I began sleeping on the surgery side at about six weeks post op.

At my last appointment with my surgeon she told me to stop using the cane as that would promote muscle strength. And, lo and behold, as soon as I did, things completely settled in my joint and the leg length discrepancy resolved on its own, just as expected.

I must say that this was much easier than anticipated!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good news and good job. You look beautiful and happy.:egypdance:
 
Nice. Good information about cane, getting rid of it can be scary.
 
Great news....beautiful pic!
You sound happy and content. What a joy this Christmas will be with no hip pain :santaclap:
Here's to a fab 2018 :cheers:
@FLGal
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom