Guest viewing is limited

THR New hip 3/7/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stars are continuing to align in my favor. Would you believe less than 24 hours after my surgery I was released and am typing this from home? My surgeon came in to sign my hip. I had my legs crossed and told him I was enjoying my last "cross" as I knew it would be a long time because of the restrictions. He said "funny you should mention that. I have been mulling over your surgery, thinking about it a lot. I would like to change the plan. I was going to call you last night but decided to let you get a good nights sleep. I would like to change the revision to anterior" WHAT? REALLY? Was my response. There was more conversation but long story short I had an anterior revision, he was still able to see the muscles he needed to see, (which were not damaged :) he still was able to do what he wanted and I am starting a recovery SOOOOO different than my last one. I feel so much better than last time and NO RESTRICTIONS. Happy &)€%# Holidays to me lol :yahoo:

He said he did not even have to tug at the cup. He removed the screws and it came right out -it was very loose and he could see it had to be the cause of all my symptoms. (Nothing like a little more validation). I am so happy. Now of course some of it is that I am pretty drugged up at this point, but still, I can tell this is going to be so much easier.

And to top it all off, right before being released, who shows up at my room??? None other than our own Z. We have never met in person but of course I knew who he was immediately. What an awesome surprise! We sat down and talked like old friends. It was hard to believe we'd never met. It was the icing on the cake of a wonderful day.

I am pooped! I wanted to post because you all sent me such great energy. Thanks again and once I get some ice and sleep (none to be had in the hospital) I will be back and check on the other December surgeries.

Cathy:happydance:
 
Hi Cathy,

What a fabulous update, plus to get home so quickly must be nice! Also love that Z came by to see you. Now take it nice and easy and enjoy your recovery. Sending you lots of love and good wishes and of course a lovely holiday time. Hopefully you have some loved ones who can spoil you a little during the holidays!! Here's to a brilliant, happy, healthy 2014! xoxo
 
:egypdance: :happydance: :yay: :spin: :friends: :yahoo: :cheers2: :cheers: What a wonderful post Cathy!! I am thrilled and delighted that you are already home and doing well - and YEAH for the validation! Now onward though gently through the recuperation :) You'll be back in your kayak by spring time .....that's a prediction my friend! :bicycle1:
 
Oh Cathy, that's fantastic news! You have a wise and wonderful surgeon who has just given you the best possible Christmas present - which you richly deserve after all you've been through. It's the middle of the night here, but now I can go to sleep knowing that you're OK and already on the road to recovery. And that our own dear Z should visit you, only days out from his own revision, must have been icing on the cake. I wish you a pain- free and easy recovery, a very happy Christmas, and the hope that 2014 will see you in that kayak before too long with that grin back on your face.

And great to see that you're still around here, @DallasSarah !

Love and hugs, Jane
 
Wahoo!

All done and dusted Cathy, I am so thrilled for you and what a wonderful surprise to end up having an anterior!

I am absolutely so envious that you got to meet our good friend @Z15 - not sure I can ever hope for that surprise.

Rest now gal.... you have Cheryl home and it is all about recovery now - fantastic!

Nice to hear from you @DallasSarah ! and always wonderful to hear from @welshjane :)
 
Hi Cathy,
What a wonderful update and how great that you have had an anterior so less restrictions.It must have been a nice surprise meeting Z in person as well.Congratulations ! I hope you have a great recovery and a very Happy Christmas to you.
 
Friends,

I think we've known that Cathy has had a tough row to hoe the last couple years. In constant pain, knowing something was wrong and being ignored. In some ways that is the worst situation...it can easily become hopeless. But Cathy is a tough cookie and managed to keep up the effort despite lousy odds.

It's with that intro that I tell the next part: I did NOT know what kind of shape she'd be in after her revision. I thot there would be a good chance that she would be one hurting unit. So how surprised was I when less than 24 hours after her surgery I arrive and as I walk in the door, she's sitting up in a chair...dressed...and thay are not talking about her leaving in a few minutes! It's a good thing that I didn't stop for lunch or I might have missed her! Her (apparent) pain level, her attitude were all amazing.

I'm so happy for her....

Cathy,

Wonderful to meet you and I agree...I don't think we missed a beat before we were chatting like old childhood friends. And you've never painted anything but the nicest picture of Cheryl and I now see why...she's really a very lovely (and wise) person.

Made my day to see you so well and on the road to recovery. I'm glad that it worked out as it did.

But remember...just because it might feel 100 times better, it was STILL MAJOR SURGERY THAT NEEDS TIME TO HEAL. Not sure what they recommend for letting that new cup set up in place, but do what they say.

Till next time,

Z
 
Quick note to say it was a very different night sleep without my diladid pump and adjustable hospital bed - Haha Getting out of bed was a bit different also lol. What a difference a day makes, but still grateful and even though more pain and stiffness than yesterday, still less than I was prepared for. Going with the ice ice and more ice today, along with oxy :)
 
Just missed you online Cathy @VThereandnow - hope you are recovering well and feeling stronger every day.

Inch by inch babe - we have just finished Xmas lunch and now for a little nap ourselves! xx
 
Sorry I missed you @Poppet thanks for your holiday wishes. I am still doing ok. Quiet holidays here, but delightful to have down time with Cheryl. So nice she will still have off for a week AND our good friends are coming to visit from Syracuse for New Years. I may be in recovery, but still sooooo much to be grateful for.
 
Oh VThereandnow, Wow what a wonderful gift. My first hip was done that way and it is so great. I am so glad that you are feeling so good and with such a wonderful gift. I am now waiting for my second hip to have the same surgrey that you received. Waiting is for the pits. So glad that you are truly on the mend. Take care, Tashia
 
Hi Cathy @VThereandnow - quiet is good :)

How are the pain levels? So pleased you are enjoying time with Cheryl and I am sure it is the same for her :)

Have you checked out my NYE countdown to 2014 thread in the social room?

Many, many hugs xx
 
Umm, just a quick post to say WOW, and to send you all sorts of healing energy for these early days of recovery from a big deal surgery. When I read of your surgeon's acknowledgement of the loose cup as the source of your symptoms, I did a big cheer. It is so good to be understood, believed, validated, vindicated, (insert word here: _______). That's such a tough thing to accomplish despite living in a world where we're surrounded by words. Hooray for you! Now on to proper healing!

Biggest question, however, is this: How did the ice cream cake and birthday celebration go? I hope it was a spectacular day :-).

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
 
Ok, party over, freaky stuff going on. Yesterday, PT man coming to house had me try to do leg lifts front and side, which I think was too early for me - only did a few with total assist, but it was really a strain. After almost 2 years of having an undiagnosed loose cup, and those muscles not working properly, more gradual with the revision recovery is the plan on my end ...and I hesitated, but wanted to see what I had in terms of strength (nothing basically). He basically was lifting my leg with me grunting and groaning and engaging other muscles. Then I switched over from walker to cane and was thinking, instead of a total switch I might need to go back and forth as I was feeling like it was a big switch and I might need to go gradual.

Later, was sitting in my chair and a cramp started in my foot and shot up my leg. One of those screaming cramps where Cheryl came running, my friends from out of town were looking at me helpless. Cheryl was trying to rub my leg, I was trying to not move the leg to make it spaz worse and I was trying to shift my position and all of a sudden my foot turned out and I i felt something very wrong, stood up, using my arms and my foot was turned unnaturally out. I started jamming, rubbing my side/hip and all if a sudden POP, something felt like it went back into place and my foot popped back to the natural position.

Talked to nurse and Home PT and no one seems too concerned and agrees it was a subluxation. Said to take a wait and see attitude as long as I feel ok today, which I do, a little more sore but feel back to where I was before event (though more tentative).

@Josephine this event totally freaked me out. Long story short, 3/12 hip replaced, long time undiagnosed loose cup, revision 12/18/13, so 2 wks ago, now this. I know you are not fortune teller, but does this sometimes happen? Do I need to be all concerned it it going to happen again or can a freakish combo of cramping, weird positioning, trying to stand make this happen? Does it ever happen once or is this some kind of precursor to it happening again? My surgeon seemed very confident that he had a good fit of the revision cup.

ACK! ...and I was so happy for the anterior approach, so grateful and relaxed etc. now I feel so tentative and worried. Trying to stay in the moment :shocked:
 
Cathy, I can't comment on the weird pop and subluxation ... but I CAN advise you to NOT do leg lifts or out to the side until you feel you can do it without a lot of pain and strain. Those are the very same exercises that caused my tendon injuries--they had me doing this stuff 1 day post op at the hospital--idiots! I felt like my leg was going to fall off the rest of my body. You do NOT want to go down that road. If your PT is willing to do pretty much all of the work with supporting and guiding your leg AND he doesn't expect you to kill yourself doing the exercises (doing them more for range of motion preservation, rather than strength building at this point), it may be OK. But, I learned the very hard way that straining on your body like you are describing may mess things up, not make you stronger. Some PTs just don't have good judgment when it comes to this stuff. Weird, but they don't. All PTs are not created equal.

I hope you can get some good info from Jo. Hang in there, my friend.

Dorothy
 
Hi Cathy,

Some people are unable to do those lifts of the leg in the early weeks after surgery -- including lifting the leg in to bed at night. Not that I've done a study -- but maybe that muscle control comes back at a later stage of healing for them all. Which leads me to say that if you cannot do the leg lifts on your own right now maybe your body is not ready to do them. I agree with Dorothy about not forcing it, but I guess I also think that it might not be a good exercise for the PT guy to be doing for you as an assist. You can lift the leg to walk with your walker, right? Maybe it is one of those things that doesn't happen right now but in a few weeks when you try again you will have a ta - da moment and things will work differently.

I am sorry that you are having this glitch and worries right now. I know that you will sit still and continue taking it easy at home so we don't have to collectively order up more northeastern wintery weather to keep you indoors :)

I wonder if @Orthodoc might also weigh in on your situation.
Take care,
Cardie
 
Oh that sounds so scary. How are you now? I have never had that happen. Please keep me informed on that I am concerned. Do stay in the moment. Take care, Tashia
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom