Guest viewing is limited

TKR New here

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, now I am scared. I am scheduled to go back Wednesday. ICE ICE ICE. I think people believe that when you have been gone recovering for a few months, you must be fully recovered and ready to resume where you left off. Tomorrow is Friday!! make sure to rest during the weekend.
When people ask how I am, obviously assuming I must be fine now as its been over 3 months, I answer truthfully and remind them that its a very long 12 month recovery with good days, not so good days, and plenty of bad days! - just so they dont forget! :)

Good luck for your return on Wednesday, I hope it goes well.
 
Ok, I have been back to work two weeks, now. Last week I just worked 1/2 days, came home and fell asleep. This week, I have been there all day. At 8PM I am ready for bed. ( well before then, I just try to make it until then for fear that I won't sleep all night.) My leg seems more stiff, although it seems like I am walking faster. Yesterday for my lunch break, I went into one of the clinic rooms with a recliner and 'laid' down. The only reason that I didnt go to sleep is because I was cold. I hit the wall around noon (I start at 7AM) but had to stay for the entire day. I had patients to see at 2PM. Usually I see them earlier that their appt time, but yesterday they got tied up in another department and I did not see them until 2:20. When I got done I ran out of there as fast as I could - which wasn't very fast!

I keep telling myself to ignore the stiffness but that is not so easy. And now I feel soreness underneath my scar.

At least I am not really having pain in that knee!
 
Hi NuNee, Wish you could still be working half days. Makes retirement look pretty appealing. You will have to take a blanket with you so you can relax more in the break room. I am sure the AC was on high with our near 100 degrees yesterday. Are you able to sleep OK and get the rest you need at night. Hang in there. It's already Thursday tomorrow!

Fernie Thanks for the well wishes. My first day back went fine. I was pretty excited to see the kids and only had to teach for 2 hours, but that was plenty. I am glad it will only be 3 days this week. I think that should be how everyone's first week back to work is planned.
 
Ready, when did you go back to work? I somehow missed when you were going back. So did everything go ok? I do wish that I could still be working half days, but then I would only get half paychecks. Win some, lose some! I am sleeping ok at night. Much better than I was 2-3 months ago. As a matter of fact I am heading to bed much earlier than usual just can't hardly last long. I have worked hard to stay out of the ODIC. that probably annoys my husband, but, oh well it's my knee.

Retirement won't come soon enough, and, that has nothing to do with my knee!
 
Good Morning, NuNee. I went back on Wed. just for the afternoons. Things went fine, but I was stiff and swollen by the time I got home. Unfortunately, last night was another one of those "awake from 2-5" nights. I dream of the days when going to bed isn't something I am afraid of. Are you on any pain meds? Some days I am tempted to use something other than Tylenol, but an ice pack usually does the trick. Half days are great! I had accumulated the max 100 sick days before I went out, so I have the luxury of days off with pay. A small reward for 28 years of teaching with missing days for a few maternity leaves.

Hope you have a good day and are not run ragged. Good job staying out of the ODIC no matter what your husband might think.
 
It feels like I have gone backward. Some days I can walk at a nice clip and other days I don't want to move at all. It seems like my knee doesn't bend as much as it did before I went back to work. I come home and would rather go to bed than have dinner. That is really different for me! I have started taking Tylenol around the clock and am thinking that I will be taking heavy drugs at bed time. We went out to dinner yesterday and I had a hard time sitting on the chair the entire time. I squirm like a little child. My husband's support has waned tremendously. He thinks that since I am back at work all is well, and, he just can't understand how miserable I feel. I keep telling myself it will get better but I am struggling with that thought. And, I need to go through this again with the other knee!

I am glad the weekend is here. I don't have to do anything until I am ready. And, that is just what I am going to do.
 
Why is it so hard on my leg to sit in a chair for very long? :gaah: ]
 
[Bonesmart.org] New here
Nu nee, I'm so sorry that it's raining on your parade and making you unhappy. The problem is that you are doing more than the knee wants to do---it still needs rest, elevation, ice, and apparently regular pain meds. You are just a little over 3 months post op. Still early recovery-wise for a TKR.

When they tell us full recovery takes at least 12 months----they really mean 12 months---and sometimes more for some. So you are just a little over 1/4 of the way to the end of the road----that means that you still have 3/4 left. Energy drain is still in force---and working full time does not help a bit. So, of course, you're exhausted when you get home and just want to hit the bed.

This next 3 months are probably going to be a bit rough, but you should be feeling much better once you get through them. If it's possible, you need to have at least 30 minutes during your work day to ice and elevate. Going to bed early will be a must. And taking one week-end day to rest, elevate and ice is also a must.

I'm sorry that hubby has become a drop-out in the support department. It hurts when someone we count on to understand just doesn't get it. But you do have your BoneSmartie friends---and we do get it! We're here for you----so whine, complain, yell, cry----

Please take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] New here
 
Sorry Nu! I think you are doing great. You are working full time and have a long day. Your knee is making a cry for help! Let's go back to bed! It probably needs to be resting when you get home. Give in to it!
Husband has his own issues. Just try to do what you need for yourself right now. I don't think anything is going wrong...it just gets tedious and we get tired of it all. Be kind to yourself...you have been through so much.
It would be nice if your hubby would watch a few you-tube TKR's.
 
Now, you need to use the weekend to really rest! Lots of down time with ice! Remember, as explained already, this is a journey and the road is a long one. You've made so much progress, so keep that in mind. Be honest about how you are feeling both at work and at home so people understand and can support you. Your husband, too. I like the idea of having him watch a youtube videa of a TKR.

Not being able to elevate and ice is going to make you stiff. Gravity at it's best! I am experiencing the same feeling of not bending very far. Also, I HATE sitting with my knee bent, too. I think there is something in the library about why that hurts so much, I know I read about it some where. I still dread the first steps even though they don't really hurt anymore. I think because for years those first steps were so painful and I looked 30 years older. Old habits die hard. Someday soon we will both pop out of our chairs limp and pain free!Do you "squirm like a little child" all the time? I think I have developed restless leg syndrome. It just happens at night and drives me wild. It' s like all the nerves are firing at once. I don't have it everynight, and wonder if it was part of my medication weaning withdrawl???

OK, take care and REST!
 
It takes time to completely heal and husbands once they see us back at work and up and around think all is well-unless they have gone through a total knee most people cannot understand the time it takes to fully recover plus the energy drain. I was coming home and forcing myself to eat and was in bed extremely early for weeks and still do not really stay up that long.

With the sitting, I found that I had some swelling not totally visible on my hamstrings and sitting on a hard chair made my leg achey-it did not really hurt to sit down but after a while if I sat and concentrated why my leg felt funny,I realized it was aching and it was coming from the back of my thigh. I changed chairs at work so it was soft and no hard edge. You might want to try a memory foam cushion in your chair.​
​
You will get there but it is a long journey. You must just take care of yourself and eventually it will be back to normal.​
​
 
Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement, and hug. Today I stayed in the bed until my stomach said feed me. Then I got on the couch with my leg up for most of the day. With ice. I know in my mind that this journey is at least a year. I find myself once again looking for that patient bone in my body. Not being very successful. I think it is more difficult now than it was two months ago. I will continue to work on that. It's nice to have your support. :thankyou:
 
Nu Nee said: `Also, I am having soreness along my scar, as if it hasn't healed underneath, yet. That soreness is new. I wish that I could take ibuprofen but I can't. I am not looking forward to next week when I will be at work all day, and, walking more. I was feeling so much better before Monday!
That's my report. Does it all sound normal?`


Hi Nu Nee I know how important it is to know that what's happening is normal. But I don't think what is happening to you is normal. Its SO MUCH BETTER than that. 13 wks post op and working full days. Girl, you are a star.

I haven't experienced soreness along my scar, but I still have that awful tight rubber band effect across my knee. My husband and I went for a walk today. As it was early it wasn't too uncomfortable, but its nearly 9pm now and by that time my knee doesn't bend much at all. So it seems if its not one type of pain its another at this stage.
Pat99
 
It seems like we have new sensations as our incisions heal, swelling goes down and as time passes. I'm at 7 months and sometimes really tender. And mild discomfort will be lateral one month then the next it's medial. Maybe as we are able to move better in a more natural way our scars inside and out must adjust. Such as maybe the remaining ligaments have gotten tight post-op but then once you are finally able to rotate your knee a little better that ligament has to stretch a bit. I made all that up but it's seems plausible. :heehee:
 
Hi! I think you are doing great! Back to work! I also don't have any patience so I understand. It is frustrating!

Restless legs is a side effect from pain med withdrawal. It will pass but it can drive you batty! It is suggested that you do as many hot baths or showers as you can. I am in the process of dropping my meds down and I have restless legs...in fact , I have restless BODY!

Hang in there!
 
Hi NuNee just wanted to know how you were doing? I guess you haven't much time for messaging now that you are back to work full time. How's it going with the soreness around your scar? Pat99
 
When people ask how I am, obviously assuming I must be fine now as its been over 3 months, I answer truthfully and remind them that its a very long 12 month recovery with good days, not so good days, and plenty of bad days! - just so they dont forget!
I still have friends and fellow umpires---all very well-intentioned---still asking me how my knees are. I had a BTKR over five years ago!
 
Hi Nu nee. Haven't heard from you in while. Hope it is going well. I know returning to work is a big drain on the energy. Are you holding up OK. Seems like constant rain lately, which doesn't help the spirits. Work for me is going pretty well. I just get tired and stiff, but no real pain like before surgery. I try to sit as often as I can, but it's not always easy with the job I have. Anyway, take care.
 
Hi Ready. I am hanging in. Talk about drain. I come home dead, as in too tired to eat. I am home by 4PM. Yesterday, I decided that I needed a lie down before I could do anything. I sit quite a bit these days. I try to remember to get up and walk. I don't like walking because of the stiffness. I was just reminding myself today that this is nothing like before surgery, so i continue to try to be patient. Where the tightness is I can begin feel some looseness I think! Knee still feels sore to touch where my incision is. I don't know what that is about. I think what bugs me the most is that everyone think that I am back to 100%. I hate to keep whining about I cant walk that fast, or I can't bend my leg any more or whatever people take for granted. It's 9:30 now, and I can hardly keep my eyes open. Thanks for checking on me. Keep me posted about what is going on with you.
 
Pat 99. I still have that soreness on both sides of my scar. I think that it is going away in sections. It's easier for me to touch it now. For a while I would just cringe is I inadvertently touched it. Work is taking all of my energy. Today I just wanted to put my head down on my desk and have some quiet time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom