New here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear @ jellybean Welcome to BoneSmart. I just read your worries - we all have them - pre-op, post-op - you're not alone, that's for sure! Not knowing just what to expect can heighten the anxiety, too. Those articles can help give you some info and maybe ease your mind a bit about some things.

I was wondering if your children's school has a parent newsletter, or a message board, or a parent organization? Because you can ask for help again with driving the children to and from school now that you'll be having surgery.
Your situation has changed now, people need to be reminded, and maybe a schedule can be set up for a month where different parents take turns driving the kids home. Talk to the school principal or the teachers, and express your concerns and ask for help. I think when people realize you'll be fresh post-op, they'll want to help out. And scooting a child to or from school isn't such a big deal. So ask, you need to, for your sake and their sake.

Good luck figuring it all out. You can do it! :yay:
 
This is a guide to Activity progression for THRs which should help. Walking is actually the best therapy going for hips but it's not the only thing to take into account. There's this too Energy drain for THRs.

Here's some more recovery articles that should help give you an idea of how things will be
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
jellybean welcome! You are not the youngest person here now-- smrt2run is 24, and he had a bilateral hip replacement about 4-5 weeks ago. Somebody else is in their 20's, but I can't remember now who. You will love it here, and those of us old enough to be your mom/dad will spoil you rotten LOL
Audball and did you have roller skates on while you painted that bathroom??????????????????????????????? Whiz! Whiz!
 
hahaha smrt2run how did you know that I was making brownies?~~~~~~~ smell 'em? jellybean would you like a brownie or two also? Triple chocolate, decadent as all getout! Smrt2run has gained 5 lbs on them, bad boy!
Oh Smrt! Did you ever make those nutella brownies? If you want good (not nutella) brownie recipes, BarbaraR just posted a few that she uses, in the Social Room under a stickie thread called "recipes" or something like....
 
zauberflöte No I haven't yet. My dad has a container of nutella at his house and i've been meaning to get it. Now that I'm out and about I am trying to cut back haha :boohoo:
 
Two weeks doesn't seem like a very long time. I think you will probably havea to get some help getting those kiddos to school anad back. You surely don't want to have a set back. It's going to be worth it though, you are going to be able to walk with no pain soon!! Please post any more concerns you have. Everyone here is always willing to help!
 
Thanks for the replies everyone. I hae taken delivery today of the toilet frames and raised seats that the OT ordered for me, she has asked me to find my own heihht adjustable chair though. Because I am having the op in the area where we used to live and this new area do not require you to have the chair. I am having trouble finding one though, they recommended asking family and friends - we are a forces family who have just been posted to a new area, this sugestion was pretty useless!
 
jellybean Adjustable chair are you referring to using it in the shower? These can be purchased on ebay or amazon. Here in the states one can even be purchased at our Walmart. Good luck to you
 
Liveringer I just mean a chair for in the living room that is the right height as they said my sofa is too low and soft. The ones they deliver in Swindon where I am having the op are like the chairs they have in old people homes with a high back an arms. We are too far from there to borrow one from there, they contactde the hospital near my new house and they don't lend them out here.
 
I have my sofa on wooden blocks. 19" was the height they gave me so if you could raise it to 19" (depressed height if the cushions are squishy if you get my drift) might be OK. Mine's a big corner sofa and I spent much of the first week home reclining facing the telly. I wouldn't have wanted to spend that much time in a hard high backed chair.
 
jellybean I had meantioned in someones thread that there are items called bed lifts they are like 5-6" plastic blocks. My sisters placed these underneth my couch to bring it up and it works perfect.
[Bonesmart.org] New here
 
Hey jellybean I see your having your op in Swindon, I live in Cricklade, who is your surgeon? I haven't got a special chair, in fact the only aids I have got are a long handled grabber and a high toilet seat, although after 4 weeks, we took that off at the weekend! :)
 
Hello jellybean -- We also raised up our sofa, chair, and loveseat on wooden blocks to make them 19" high, just like joanna did. It was very easy to do, the wood was cheap, and we can lower them whenever. Much better than buying anything new that won't be used forever.
 
Littlejem it's Mr Rigby, did you have yours at Swindon?


Thanks everyone, I will ask hubby if he fancies having a go at rasing one section of the sofa up. It's a big corner sofa but it comes apart in 3 sections. Otherwise my other idea was just to put one cushion on top of the other.
 
I had mine done at the Ridgeway by Mr Hollinghurst so can't compare notes!! :)
You can buy blocks of upholstery foam on Ebay, if putting the sofa on blocks is difficult. I'll be honest I didn't do either and hearing about others having special chairs really worried me but thank goodness I've not had any problems getting in and out of my normal sofa or recliner chair. Have you tried to sit without breaking the 90% rule?
 
I did the one cushion on top of the other thing for my lounge chair and it worked fine. I have wooden blocks under the castors of my bed. My Dad also suggested using those bricks that have a dip in the side.
 
Well not long left for me now. Am off to try and find a list of what I need too pack and what I need to get sorted in the house before I go. My parents are arriving today to take care of the kids on Monday when hubby takes me to the hospital.
 
Good luck jellybean... We will be waiting for you on the recovery side..

btw, I have family in Swindon :).... Small world!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom