New here....TKR soon! Help, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dewey,
I hope we can be January buddies too.
No words of wisdom on the heart front. I had a murmur picked up at my preop assessment but have now been told its nothing to worry about.
I am sure you will discuss your cardiac history with the anaesthetist and they can reassure you and also tell you how they will mange the situation in the unlikely event that it happens around your surgery time.
Given that many knee replacements are done in older people I am sure they are used to working round cardiac problems.
Hope you are feeling better and are not too washed out after your episode of AF.
Toothfairy :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Just need some medication advice....

My cortisone injections have completely worn off now, and my knees are just really painful every minute of my day. I'm miserable most of the time, especially at school. It's really tough to make it through the day.

I've been taking just extra strength Tylenol for this pain, but it's just not cutting it now. I have a prescription for Tramadol that the doctor gave me some time ago, but I've never taken it. (I hate taking medication as I always react to it in some way.) My question is this:

I'm having surgery at the end of January. If I start taking the Tramadol now, will it work as well for after surgery pain control? I'm afraid that if I begin taking it regularly now, I won't get as good pain relief after the surgery.

Can anyone ease my mind about this? I do need some relief! Thanks!
 
Hi Dewey,
How are you doing? Any luck making those knees more comfortable?
I don't know the answer to your tramadol question but as your surgery is not till the very end of January I would imagine you could take it for a few weeks to get you over this hump anyway. Best to ask your doctor to be certain.
I am still waiting for my date for surgery, I am beginning to believe it will never happen!
I am on paracetamol(Tylenol) and naproxen (Aleve) and have been told to take them as normal right up to my surgery including on the morning of surgery.
Do you break for school holidays soon? Hopefully that will also help a bit.
I love these Christmas smileys.
Take care,
Toothfairy :treesmiley: :reindeer: :santawave: :xmastree: :xmasdance:
 
I'm surprised they're letting you take naproxen right up until the surgery.
 
I was very surprised too. The nurse said stop it the day before, the anaesthetist said carry on and take it as normal on the day. I was expecting to be told to stop it some time ahead of surgery.
Toothfairy :santa-wave:
 
Hello,
I think I've decided to spend a few days after my surgery in a local rehab facility so my husband doesn't need to take so many vacation days. I just thought I would share what I found out today, and see what your reaction is....

I have to set up the rehab facility on my own and called them today. It sounds like a great place as it is an acute rehab facility which sounds more like a hospital than just a nursing facility. I asked how agressive they were in their physical therapy and she explained a THREE HOUR A DAY schedule of OT and PT. 3 hours a day for the first few days after surgery seemed like A LOT to me! She explained to me that patients that are in their facility have much better results and recouperate much faster than those that have just home care.

What do you all think? I certainly don't want them to push too hard!!! Does 3 hours a day seem like a lot?
 
[Bonesmart.org] New here....TKR soon!  Help, please... Dewey, my hubby went to an acute rehab facility after his two knee surgeries (done 2 days apart). He had 3 hours of therapy a day. Half the therapy is occupational---lot of upper body exercises done sitting and not involving the knees. The other half is physical---doing exercises while lying down, walking, learning to walk up and down steps, and easy cycling.

They expect you to fully participate in the activities, which is good for you. They also allow for short rest periods between activities---so you are not in constant motion for an hour and a half. Just don't allow any one there to push you past discomfort--my hubby was never caused pain by any of the therapists. And you have the rest of the day to elevate, ice, and rest.

I think this may be a wise decision on your part. And when you get home, you will feel much more confident about what you need to do and getting around and doing things. And getting both knees done fairly close together and getting the recovery done mostly at one time is a good thing. I also had my knees done two days apart about 14 months ago----I LOVE MY NEW KNEES! and you will, too.

Take care & keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] New here....TKR soon!  Help, please...
 
Maybe it's a requirement that what seems to be most OS don't have a great bedside manner. :)

Mine too, he's a great surgeon, a bit ruff around the edges and can be gruff. My thought is..hey, i'm not going to date him. Saying that, I know that when he doesn't like what he see's, he gets after them and it ain't pretty. That's what I want on my side.

I saw him get after the P/T who came the first day, helped me into the chair and forgot to put the air compression things on my leg.
 
Well, I am now down to less than a month until my first surgery. KNees have really been worsening lately, so I do believe I'll be "ready" for this surgery at the end of January. I'm so, so tired of living this way!

Now my thoughts are moving towards all the things I can do BEFORE the surgery to make things better afterwards. Sleeping arrangements have me a bit worried. We have 3 levels in our home, and I must go up some stairs to the bedroom. I am planning on staying downstairs (no stairs to a bathroom/shower) for the first few weeks. Couch is not very comfy, though, and the only recliner uses feet to lower the footstool part, so I'm not sure about where I'm going to stay! I've read so many people say that it's hard to get comfortable, so maybe the couch/chair won't make much difference anyway. Husband said we could purchase a new recliner, but I'm just not sure what kind is best.

Still worrying......and worrying, and worrying some more! I think my biggest concern is pain management. I've always had trouble taking pills. It seems I always react somehow to the medication, and I'm worried that the pain meds will cause difficulties. I cannot take anti-inflammatories due to an allergy, so that limits my choices, as well. Can anyone ease my mind on this?

Also, please tell me some things you did prior to your surgery. My husband will be a huge help to me, I know, but I'd like to be a bit organized beforehand. Thanks, again and again, for your encouragement, support, and great information!
 
Hi Dewey , I'm planning on getting all paperwork up to date, thorough clean and freezer and cupboards full. Hubby will help me loads but I figure planning and mega organising, I hav young child as well, can only be a good thing. I have stairs and upstairs bathroom only so I plan on staying upstairs for first few days! Take care and good luck.
 
Maybe it's a requirement that what seems to be most OS don't have a great bedside manner. :)

Mine too, he's a great surgeon, a bit ruff around the edges and can be gruff. My thought is..hey, i'm not going to date him. Saying that, I know that when he doesn't like what he see's, he gets after them and it ain't pretty. That's what I want on my side.

I saw him get after the P/T who came the first day, helped me into the chair and forgot to put the air compression things on my leg.


I was one of the lucky ones---my OS was a great surgeon and a great person to talk to. I have noticed, though, that many surgeons are not "talkers"---but, perhaps, that can be explained that, in their chosen aspect of the medical field, they do not have to spend a great deal of time talking to patients---just operating on them.

My original OS who scoped both of my knees was also a great person to talk to---but some of the other surgeons that I have met are rather cold, I would say.
 
Oh MY Gosh I have found my Worry Wart Twin! I didn't think I'd ever meet anyone who worried as much about details as I do but now I have! I love it! I am so glad you are here and asking questions! I worried about all the same things and they all turned out to be for nothing. My surgeon is rude, the nurses hate him, he does nothing to ease the anxiety. I dread going to him to the point I have researched using another doctor for my left leg which needs replacement. The reason I am hesitant NOT to switch is that he did a great job on my right leg.
Please go to the rehab facility and visit it. Make sure it is okay for yourself, not their PR. Go down the halls and use your nose and check the rooms out and decide if you would be more comfortable at home. A physical therapist will come to your home for that part.
Also walk through your home and see what needs to be changed. Are cords or things in the way? I moved my dresser completely out of my bedroom so I had a nice space to push my walker thru and could have room for my PT stuff. Everything was so much easier than I thought. For one thing...when you are at home, either after surgery or after you come home from the rehab place, you are on your own schedule. You can brush your teeth, then wash your face a half hour later if you want. You can do any type of bathing that you want. There is no hurry to do it all at once if you are not feeling good.
I had my kids coming out to help me. Turns out all I really needed was someone to fill my cryo cuff cooler and to fix me very simple meals when I was hungry. Not fancy foods! It's almost like feeding a toddler, cut up an apple, grilled cheese, whatever your favorite foods are and you won't feel like eating a lot. So your husband doesn't need to feel like he needs to fix 3 gourmet meals a day!
As far as your puppy. I have to admit that my Dad took my little yorky for about 8 days. That really helped. But with your hubby at home maybe you wouldn't need that especially if you go to the rehab place. I just needed alittle time to get my bearings and then i was so happy to have her back and fixed up a thick throw to throw over my knee so that she she could come on up, sit on the same pillow I had my knee propped on and it was fine.
I've read on here that alot of people love their recliners and sleep in them for weeks! They say they were the most comfortable place to be! I have an electric bed so I was comfy there but I also have a comfy easy chair with ottoman that worked great for when I was ready to be in my living room. Maybe the new recliner is a good idea for you so you could get out of it easier. The thing is that I pictured myself as being so helpless but it really wasn't that way! Once i realized that I could do what I wanted as slow as I needed to, it just became easier.
The first two weeks are really going to smart. You need your pain meds and I don't mean tramadol. Either hubby gives them to you on a schedule or you write them down. You don't ever let yourself get behind on them because it will be much harder to get your pain under control if you get behind. As your pain lets up in a few weeks you will naturally be able to go longer in between doses.
I met a few people, NOT Bonesmarties, that kind of scared me that I would need help going potty and all that kind of stuff. It wasn't like that. You have your walker, you keep it right there next to bed or recliner and you walk/er to the toilet. You MUST have that toilet riser thing on your toilet. Mine is called a 3-1. Insurance paid for both of those but they would not pay for a walker AND a shower chair. The 3in1 chair can be put in the shower and over the toilet OR you can leave the bucket in it (worse case scenario) and use it next to the bed/recliner. I loved it. I used it on my toilet an finally after many weeks put it out in the garage. It was so helpful for getting up off my toilet. My toilet was 19" so not that low but this made it higher and more comfy. One thing that is really nice would be if hubby would put one of those spray nozzles on your shower head. They are easy to install and it makes it easy to take a shower instead of your sitting there with water shooting straight down on you. I can't believe how much stuff I have forgotten from my early recovery days so trying to remember!
I just really feel for you because I know that anxiety you are going through! Some of us are just like that about considering all the details and what can go wrong! All my worry was for nothing! All these professionals that you will soon be meeting have been trained to take care of you! They know what to do! Mind me, I realize there are some bad eggs but for the most part it is all wonderful and they are there to help you. I had wonderful knowledgeable nurses and helpers.
And now you have us so if you meet up with anyone, especial physical therapists that want you to do something that hurts, YOU REFUSE to do it. You can try it again the next day when you've had a bit more healing going on. It's your KNEE's and your schedule, not anyone else's! 3 hours of PT a day sounds crazy but maybe they are showing you stuff, not working your knee. And doing gentle stretching etc. It would be 3 separate hours right? Like I said, go visit and see for yourself!
I envy you getting both knees taken care of! My doc wouldn't listen about my left knee so now it's like starting completely over. UGH. The pain you will have in your TKR knee is different than the awful pain in your knees now. I have one of both right now so I know. After a few weeks you will know what I mean.
Okay I went on way too long. Someone probably already sounded the GONG on me!
You are so smart to ask all the questions! Be sure and read the articles. Some appear very simple. But those simple statements are very important!
Take good care....deep breathing....ginger tea and honey....a nice novel...we are all rooting for you Dewey!
 
[Bonesmart.org] New here....TKR soon!  Help, please...
Gee, Brownie51, some posts just need to be long! No dunce cap for you. It was a very informative post with a lot a very good advice. Pat yourself on the back!
 
As far as your puppy. I have to admit that my Dad took my little yorky for about 8 days. That really helped. But with your hubby at home maybe you wouldn't need that especially if you go to the rehab place. I just needed alittle time to get my bearings and then i was so happy to have her back and fixed up a thick throw to throw over my knee so that she she could come on up, sit on the same pillow I had my knee propped on and it was fine.
I've read on here that alot of people love their recliners and sleep in them for weeks! They say they were the most comfortable place to be! I have an electric bed so I was comfy there but I also have a comfy easy chair with ottoman that worked great for when I was ready to be in my living room. Maybe the new recliner is a good idea for you so you could get out of it easier. The thing is that I pictured myself as being so helpless but it really wasn't that way! Once i realized that I could do what I wanted as slow as I needed to, it just became easier.
The first two weeks are really going to smart. You need your pain meds and I don't mean tramadol. Either hubby gives them to you on a schedule or you write them down. You don't ever let yourself get behind on them because it will be much harder to get your pain under control if you get behind. !

I have four dogs---and I believe that they know when you are hurting and when to stay away from you and when to play---and when to be gentle. I can honestly attest that my four labs helped me get through some rough times in the early days of recovery.

My recliner was my rock, my island, my fortress---especially during the earl;y days of recovery---I slept there, I ate there, I dozed there, I watched TV from there---I answered the phone and talked to visitors from the recliner. It was very comfortable and it helped me to follow the Bonesmart mantra of resting/icing/elevating. Others have used their bed---to each, their own, I guess.

I also agree with the pain meds---do not try to be a hero and take the pain meds---it is important to understand that your knee joint has just sustained major traumatic surgery and is very, very angry---and the pain meds are necessary to help you get through those early days. Take them "on the clock", as they say, and do not short-change yourself and take less than you think you will need. Those early days are still cloudy for me because I was on Oxycontin, but I felt very little pain.
 
I am a worrier too! But the things I worried about were not an issue. Weeks before I started making extra at meal time and freezing it. I am almost 3 wks out and we still have at least a week of food left. My husband has just had to re-heat things. He has taken great care of me. They will step up when needed. I also could take care of my personal needs very quickly and did not really have to depend on him for that stuff. Just put my shower chair in the shower and used a hand held nozzle. Now at 2+ wks I can stand and shower. When I got home from the hospital I could have made a sandwich so if he had not been home I could have easily met my basic needs.

My issues have been worrying abou,t is this too much swelling, or bruising. My leg is a different color from the other, is that ok. When to know when I am over doing it or not doing enough. Is this pain a blood clot. Am I using too much ice and will I get frostbite, lol. Might want to prepare for that type of worrying and maybe print out some of the stuff that you think might set your mind spinning. This way you can quickly look it up and hopefully relax.

I'm doing fine and I am sure you will too. My best on your upcoming surgery. :thumb:
 
I have 2 dogs, both dachshunds, both were with friends. Now, I live in an apartment, so they have to get walked. So, my male dog (in pic), came home about 5 days after I came home. I knew I didn't have to worry about him tripping me or getting in between my feet.

My female dog, on the other hand, is impulsive and doesn't have as much self control as he. So I wanted until I could walk without a cane before having her come home. Walking 1 dog with a cane,no problem. Walking 2 dogs, 1 slightly impulsive, with a cane...a hole 'nother bag of worms.

With the dachshunds, you learn to shuffle your feet, when their around :)
 
Well, once again.....my new friends at Bonesmart have come through for me! Thank you all so very much for your posts filled with encourgement and kind words! They help me soooo much right now! Brownie, my worrywort sister,.....your LONG post was so very helpful! Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!!

Can you all give me your opinion of this...

I think my time schedule is pretty good, but after reading some posts about just HOW LONG recovery takes, I'm not quite so sure. I feel very fortunate to be able to be off work for the remainder of this school year (I teach 4th graders) as I know many people don't have that luxury. Here's my timeline:

RTKR January 28
LTKR Mid to late March
Then, I will be home until early August.
That's 4 months from TKR #2......How do you think I'll feel when it's time to go back to school? I know I won't be back to normal yet, but do you think I can plan on going back full-time at that point? My job is pretty stressful and I'm on my feet most of the ten hour day.

So, what do you think? Can you ease my mind about this???
 
Dewey, my TKR was April 10th last year. You'll be a lot better by August. You'll probably want to put up your leg (on a chair or something) when you get a chance, and when you get home in the evenings. I was a delegate at a 7-day convention toward the beginning of July (almost 3 months after my surgery). In retrospect it was a bit too soon to be walking that much on concrete around a huge convention center and 3 hotels -- where the various workshops and meetings were held. :sigh: However 4 months will give you much better time for your left knee to get better before you go back to teaching.

This is a great group of TKR friends that help each other through the whole journey to recovery. I like Brownie's post (and those of everyone else) too. A friend of ours (who had gastric bypass surgery in 2011) helped us by cooking several meals that we kept in the freezer and used the first couple of weeks after I came home.

As for the shower, we had our tub replaced with a walk-in shower with a built-in-seat -- after I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee in 2005. It was MISERABLE getting in and out of the tub (with help from my hubby) to take a shower. Lowes carries a shower head that's good for handicapped use -- perfect after knee replacement. As has been said, it's easy to install too.

Glad that you've joined us here. :friends:
 
You sounds that you will do great. The one thing you must remember is do not rush this. Go Slow. Tashia
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom