THR New Here, 15 Days Post-Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing my cats object to is their new method of feeding - I usually bend down, pick their bowls up to fill them and then put them back. At the moment, I'm pretty much just raining food on their heads because they are too impatient to sit back and wait!

So Day 2 back at work is in the books. It was a big success! I was even able to 'hustle' to catch Train #2.

My gait continues to improve, as does my flexibility. I'm pushing the edge of the 90 degree rule envelope, but being careful.

Tomorrow my GF and I are going to our favorite waterside clam bar to eat cherry stones and steamers to celebrate. And I'm driving :)

Kyle

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The road back to Grownupville continues to be smooth. This morning I drove around doing errands. This afternoon was the Coming (back) Out Party! Raws & Steamers on the water!

Oh, look at that blue sky!
It's fantastic that you're getting back to normality and having fun as well as working!

Looks lovely and like so much fun! Hurray for you!

image.jpeg
It was so much fun, and the weather is still soooo nice, today we went the the North Shore for lobster rolls :)

Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
A great weekend of acting almost like a normal person. Out to dinner Saturday and lunch Sunday, driving around doing errands etc. My gait is improving, but I have to focus on it. If I don't I fall right back into the old "do everything possible to get weight off the right leg ASAP" gait, which makes me look like Quasimoto.

Back to work this morning and the commute and is going well. Between trains #1 and 2 in the morning there are 2 long flights of stairs. Climbing them "normally", foot over foot rather than foot to foot, is work. There is no pain involved but the weakness in my operated leg is apparent. When I got to my desk I was very happy to see my chair. I am also looking forward to my next dose of Tylenol in 90 minutes :)

Kyle

So my recovery continues uneventfully. Last week was my first nearly full week* of commuting. It's definitely a bit of a challenge, as I have found myself pretty sore on a couple of occasions. Thursday and Friday I felt a similar pinching in my groin as I did before surgery. I'm not overly concerned. It's much better today, and my PT told me that if I do damage to the hip I will be in excruciating pain. I wasn't :) It's important to remond myself that recovery is not likely to be a straight line.

So this morning it was laundry, bird cage scrubbing, car wash, grocery store all without a pinch!

Kyle
* With no involvement on my part my company has begun testing a work from home option. For the balance of the summer I will be working from home Tuesday & Thursday! If all goes well this fall it with be Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday :yay:

Sounds like things continue to go well for you, Kyle, and I'm so glad! How nice that you will get to work from home on this trial basis, as that will make things easier for you. I don't think recovery is ever in a straight line, but yours is pretty darned straight considering you have gone back to work so early.

I wondered how you were finding the full time working! I'm glad you'll be able to work from home sometimes. I think just getting ready and commuting take so much energy that could be spent more productively elsewhere!
Keep up the good work and keep letting us know your progress - I find it very encouraging (if a little envious sometimes)

I got a clean bill of health at my 6 week OS visit :) Still no reaching for outside of operated side foot and no running (not a big sacrifice!). But all other bending and stretching is good and I can get back on my bike!

Kyle

Yesterday I saw my OS for my 6 week follow up. We were talking about precautions and I asked about his reduced set. His 2 main rules are no crossing the midline of your body with the operated leg and no reaching for the outside of your operated side foot, especially while seated.

He said the full set was developed 50 years ago. In that time surgically skill and procedure have advanced significantly. A while back he sat down with 5 of his colleagues to review the list.

The goal of precautions is to avoid dislocating the new hip. While not all THRs involve dislocation of the old hip most do. So they took what I thought was an amusing, if slightly disturbing approach. They thought about what they did in the OR to dislocate the hip!

They identified the 3 movements (I forget the third) and those became their new precautions. It's not exactly high tech, but it seems to be working :)

Submitted follow what it's worth...

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hi @kwarendorf . I asked my OS about the said rules as well and he prefers his patients to follow them. He explained (in Dr. jargon) that by limiting these particular movements helps build a tight scar tissue around that joint to hold it in place to reduce the chance of future dislocation.

Docs run the gamut from full precautions to no precautions. The goal in all cases seems to be to prevent dislocation, both current and future.

Not being an OS I don't really have an opinion. I just found my docs thought process fascinating/amusing:)

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I was shocked when my doctor told me at 3 weeks that I did not have ANY precautions! And this was with both hips being done at the same time. I've done surprisingly well. I was worried, but I'm so glad I did it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike