Guest viewing is limited

New guy here with Hip Problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the morning walk down the stairs was better. Now the pain has moved or maybe since the groin is not hurting so bad now I can feel the outside of my hip hurting. The pain Dr. said about 3 days for the cocktail to start working in the hip. I would guess about a 50% reduction in my pain right now.
 
Hi Duanesz,

Glad to hear things have improved since your first post. In relation to age, all I can say is that I also believed I was too young. I also got a second opinion and the biggest question was 'Quality of Life'.

For me that was what made me decide to have it done. I also believed that my pain was not as great as many others but after having read many threads from various people I realised do I want to continue to curtail my activities until I can hardly do anything or go for it and while I am still young to enjoy myself.

Who knows what the future holds and everything is a risk, but I am currently 3 weeks from my surgery and I have to say I am considering weaning myself off the meds as I feel so much better. Yes, it's early days and I have a way to go, but so far so good.

You need to keep on reading past and current posts and figure out what you would like out of life.

It is a tough decision and I was in a quandary for a while but then made my decision.

Good luck
Jyoti
 
I had a thought :ideaIPB: hitting the bone can also cause excruciating pain though not in the same class as hitting a nerve. Have personal experience of that too!

Glad it's better, anyway.
 
Yes Quality of life is a big thing for me. My issue is this happened so fast one day I have a sore hip taking some naproxin for it and going about my life. The next day after my test I am basically disabled. I am a Millwright at ford and I am on my feet alot climbing ladders getting in and out of man lifts. I work on my feet. My last day of work was April 4th. I am 38 almost 39 and have years of work ahead of me. I also have 2 boys Tyler 7 and Mason 3 that I need to chase around.

Has anyone else had or herd of someone who's hip went down hill so fast? All the people who look at my x-ray and MRI ask how old are you?

Also I have only taken my Naproxin today no pain meds so the pain would most likely be less if I was taking my pain meds.
 
Things sometimes can happen quite rapidly, Duane. Once things start on that downward spiral, you just never know when significant pain is right around the corner. It's why we try to encourage folks not to wait too long to have their bad joints replaced. It can take a while to get surgery scheduled and that can seem like an eternity if you are in serious pain.
 
Yes, it can go downhill pretty fast. I started out with only my leg giving out on me here and there and then in 3 yrs(I was 26 when it first started) I got a new hip. But the last year was horrible, pain,limping,no energy,depression-list goes on! Seemed one day it took a turn for the worse and I hardly ever could get relief,until the wonderful THR!!

BTW-my husband is a Millright at a steel mill, very intensive work-I couldnt imagine that kind of work with a bum hip!
 
Ya Im sure being a Millwright has not helped my hip but I like what I do.

Have another pain clinic injection in two weeks then we will see if I can get back to work. Dr wants to see me after the next injection.

Thanks for the input.
Duane
 
Duanesz

To answer your question about going downhill quickly I went from going to work on a Monday Morning with no pain at all. I fell out of a car about two hours later. Then I was unable to put weight on my left leg. I was sent to occupational health who recommended two weeks of physical therapy which did not help and was quite painful. After the PT didn’t work I was referred to an Orthopedic Surgeon who looked at some x-rays and then came into the room and said I've got bad news you need a new hip. I saw another OS and he told me that I had a collapse in my left femoral head and 40 percent of my femoral head was dead. He told me that I had Avascular Necrosis of both hips. Both the first and second doctor didn't seem to believe me that I hadn't had any pain in my hip up until that point. I have had an MRI and will need my right hip replaced in the near future also. I am 36 and this all happened very quickly for me and personally my pain is not getting any better at this point. I am going to have the left hip replaced on the 16th of May and hope to get back work in six to ten weeks after that. My OS also told me that I would be able to go back to work and he has replaced hips in garbage men, concrete workers and workers in a local pipe manufacturing foundry in town. He told me that the bending, squatting, getting in and out the car can resume after six to ten weeks.
 
My hip went for tolerable to horrid in a matter of days. I limped around for years but didn't need any cane or crutch and was in the gym 5X per week. They thought is was my back problems causing the pain.

One morning I got up and literally could not walk. My GP sent me for xray that day and the look on the technician's face said it all. OS confirmed the joint was gone and the rest is history. Last year - 16 May I had my LTHR.

Unfortunately once the hip goes things don't ever get better. I do hope you get resolution to your pain. Your two boys need you chasing again!
 
Well staying about the same since after the injection. I would say a 3 out of 10. I am still limping though and have to limit my activity or I get real sore. I have also been getting some more shooting pains in the groin. Not nearly what it was but still makes me nervous when I walk. One good thing is I have not taken any pain killers since the injection.

If this is the best the injection can do then I am going to have to talk to my Dr on what were going to do next. There is no way I can go to work like this.
 
Hello Duane, just one more reply on how suddenly one might be stricken with hip pain. Mine struck completely and suddenly out of the blue one day last May...bone on bone hip pain like I'd never felt before...no history of any issues with my hips prior. That level of pain lasted for a few days and subsided...thankfully, that level of pain never returned, though pain did remain. Mine turned out to be caused by avascular necrosis like several others here.

I am very glad I decided to get the THR done and over with. I'm 8 weeks now into my recovery and see getting back to my pre-THR, "normal" life in the very near future.

Dan
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom