TKR New and even more scared

To address your comment about feeling a fraud because you have days when the pain is minimal. My PT thought this was because I was fit (at least for my age) and therefore I had muscles that were helping to support the knee, presurgery. Right up to having the surgery, I was questioning if it was really necessary. But now, I realise how debilitated I had become. Everything is easier. Standing to cook, reaching odd places when I clean, keeping up with friends on walks, grocery shopping, not to mention cross country skiing with a little terrain, getting on and off my bicycle, hiking ... Best of luck to you.
 
Thanks to all who posted in response to my questions - much appreciated.

My surgery, scheduled for Monday 18 January has been cancelled due to the pandemic. It’s a little upsetting as it’s taken me so long to make the decision and psyche myself up for it! However, the hospital has cancelled everything for the next 2 weeks at least, as they will be treating NHS cancer patients whilst the NHS treat COVID patients. So it’s right and proper - so I’ll continue to do my Prehab exercises and hope the virus is soon under control for all of us.
 
@Carmencita So sorry your op has been postponed! Tough times these days. I hope you can get rescheduled very soon. Hang in there!
 
I’m so sorry! That just plain sucks. I was happy we would be doing this together just a day apart.
I thought mine was going to take longer then a month to reschedule after I was postponed— so you never know. I think you had a feeling it may happen but it doesn’t take away the frustration and anxiety of the unknown.
I really am sorry— I keep telling myself that maybe there was some higher purpose like the anesthesiologist got in a fight with his or her husband or wife the night before and didn’t sleep good- and coulda made a mistake-
I know it’s not the case but it helps me just a teeny to think it. .
 
Hi all

I wonder if one of you lovely people could change my title thread to

“New and even more scared” please?

After having my op cancelled for 18 Jan, I was again doubting whether or not I needed it done as everything seemed to have settled down. However, today, I was standing still, waiting to cross the road to walk my dogs, and within 10 minutes my knee was like a balloon. Can’t believe how quickly it happened, I felt like someone was twisting my lower leg away from my upper leg. I’ve had it confirmed that it is (yet another), bleed into the joint (hemarthrosis), v painful limited movement, v swollen. This keeps happening and just when I relax and everything settles, there it is again!

The good news (I think)! I emailed my OS to see if there was anything I could do other than rest, ice, elevate etc., whilst awaiting a new date. Well, it was v timely - he had an email whilst I was speaking to him saying they were giving him a window of one day to do surgery and he’s slotted me in on that day. I don’t know whether to be pleased or more scared!

Anyway, moderators, my new date is 12 Feb, please could you add me into the Feb dates?

Many thanks
 
You got a date! I think it is so good. Now the thoughts of -should I reschedule or maybe I should wait .. etc are taken out of the equation.
I look at it like- does it interfere with life. The surgeon who spent years and years learning all about joints and how to fix them thinks you should. I think everything else is just fear. Fear dictates so much but -at least for me I had to keep bringing it back to the facts.
im so happy for you.
im sorry for the swelling and pain you had today. Hugs.
 
I think it is good that you have a date. I found the worst was the wait. It sounds like you had everything set up for the January date so you are good to go. It took me a little while to appreciate getting done...but one day getting out of bed it was Wow! No pain! I never realized how much pain I was tolerating until it was gone :)
 
Thank you so much @Cococay and @PegGar16 for your replies.

I have to say that after all the 2nd guessing, the incident with the sudden swelling yesterday has finally convinced me that this is the right decision! It’s easy to wonder whether you’re bad enough when you’re getting around ok, but these episodes are becoming more & more frequent and there is absolutely no warning it’s alarming.

@PegGar16 it’s so encouraging to hear your experience (and you have been through a LOT of knee surgeries!) So many posts here say similar - that you didn’t realise how much you were tolerating and adapting pre op, until you get a shiny new knee! Bring it on......

I just want to get on with it now and be on your side of this forum!

xx
 
Hi there. Just checking in to see how it’s going, how your feeling?
 
@Cococay thank you for thinking of me. The swelling has gone down a little - from melon to grapefruit! Because it’s blood, it’s very hard, not squidgy like other swelling. I’m not in too much pain now, just uncomfortable and limited movement but I’m hobbling around ok. Had a long pre op call with nurse yesterday, and forpre op will be 2 days before surgery.

I think I read somewhere that you started PT quite soon after the op is that correct? I spoke to the hospital PT yesterday and she said to leave it 7-10 days before seeing the PT which was encouraging. And they don’t worry too much about ROM etc. From what I’ve read here it seems the UK are much more laid back about PT, painkillers etc. than the US.

I am so sick of this swelling I have this fear that it will hang around forever, even after my recovery from TKR. I do hope I’m worrying unnecessarily. I’m a cold water swimmer and I can’t get my damn wetsuit on because it won’t go over my grapefruit knee! I am desperate to get in the river as it it the most fabulous painkiller - maybe I’ll have to brave it in just a swimming costume.....brrrr......
 
Aside from the pt they did while I was inpatient- the only other pt I had was this past Wednesday- so about 8 days after surgery.
do you have covid test set up?
 
Hi moderators.

I just looked at the list of February Valentines and I don’t seem to be on it? My surgery is on 12 Feb. Thanks!
 
Hi @Cococay thanks for your message. I’m ok thanks, just trying to prepare mentally and physically for next week. I have pre op next Wednesday which will include a COVID test. Just want to get it over and start recovery really.

How are you doing? You had some issues with a rash, has it gone down? How’s the pain? And did you see the Lymphodema specialist?
 
How are you doing? You had some issues with a rash, has it gone down? How’s the pain? And did you see the Lymphodema specialist?
We prefer that members in recovery talk about their recoveries on their Recovery Thread, so please post future questions about it on their recovery threads. Thanks!
 
No problem, we just have a good system here, so that information is kept together in one place, so it’s organized and easy to find. :flwrysmile:

I‘m glad you’re so supportive to the other members!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom