Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Bonnie, My TKR foot turned out like yours did for years, I had asked my lumbar and cervical surgeon about this, and he said it was nothing to worry about. The knee surgeon told me that it was tied the arthritis and bone and bone in my knee, and long story short, my right foot is now straight. I do think that this has been a big adjustment for my body (in a good way). First I developed callouses on my left foot under my little toe and under my big toe. I think the change of gait has been the biggest adjustment, and as I have become more active, it has affected my lower back. I'm almost 10 months out and I think my body is going to be adjusting itself for some time. @Orthodoc It was very reassuring to me to read that my TKR was aligned to make my leg straight. Any ideas on how long it will take to get the rest of my body to go along with it?

Dorothy
 
Bonnie, I have always walked on the outside of my feet. As a ski instructor, there are people like me and people who walk on the inside of their feet. My doc straightened out my leg and actually made me a little (2 degrees) knock kneed. I was/am very unhappy with that (naturally, I did tell him) since that is a bad position for skiing.

In the beginning I noticed that my leg moved inward with the knee, but over time and much time in the gym with mirrors, my knee no longer turns inward. So, exercise, proprioception and work helped me.

I think it is good that you no longer have one foot that points out, a straight leg gives you a better stance.
 
@turtle68 Hi Dorothy. You said your foot used to turn out and they straightened it out. Did you have pain in your foot, ankle or calf while you were adjusting to it? It seems like mine is getting somewhat better, but more time on my feet pretty much bothers me more than my knee. Staples coming out on Friday the 20. Pic below is day 15 post op.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    image.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 213
Bonnie, yes I had a lot of ankle pain and I noticed especially at PT. It went away after about six weeks, although, as I said my body is still adjusting, especially with my back. Getting the staples out should be a big relief. I truly wish I had found BS before my PT, as it was way too much, and in my opinion prolonged my recovery. I still have the loose ligament issue so have been reading your conversations with Mary with great interest. The only exercises I do are for thigh strengthening - leg raises with my right leg pointed out, and extensions with my knee resting on a rolled up blanket. And of course, I've done more in the last 5 weeks with moving, than I'd done in the last 2 years, so I think that's been good therapy.

It sounds like you're doing well, and hopefully the ankle pain will go away soon. Your scar looks really good,

Dorothy
 
@turtle68 my right leg (TKR leg) seems longer than my left leg. Did you notice that? I feel like that is some of my ankle pain too. It may not be longer, it just seems like it is. I read an article in the BoneSmart library entitled something like "why does my surgery leg feel like it is longer now?" I am hoping that the explanation there is right for me. Looking forward to Friday to get more answers from my OS.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bonnie,

My right leg does seem longer. Pants have always been shorter on the right leg for me, but I think that is less now. I've never asked the OS that question, but I will when I see him for my one-year check-up. I know many people have commented on how much better my walking is since surgery. I guess I was in worse shape than I thought.
 
Excited about going to see the doc for my 3 week check up (18 days actually). I'll get my staples out, find out what my rom and extendion are, and more than anything I want him to tell me I can take off these TED hose! I hate them so much!!! Yes, I know they are necessary...

I've taken it easy today although bending and straightening my leg, icing often and getting plenty of rest off my feet. I didn't want t go in stiff and sore, didn't want to not be flexible. I think I've done everything right today.
 
Hey, no worrying about doing the right thing. You are so completely on the right track.
 
Surgery on both knees TKR......nov. 7&11 2013...feel like i got good ROM...did some leg lifts and heldthem today...never did that one quite like that and then i have excruciating pain in front of shin right below new knee? Help!7
 
@artlady Hi there Art lady! Have you started your own thread yet? If you started one you'd get lots of replies and suggestions. You had two TKR's 4 days apart? Oh my!!! I guess to give you some help I'd need to know more of your situation. What did you do differently from your usual exercise? Do you have formal Physical Therapy? Where are you exactly in your recovery?
 
Happy day today, good visit to my OS, revision check up 18 days post op. I went there today with NO walking assistance. Just me and my two legs (my husband was there too). I had my staples removed, all 34 of them. My ROM was 100 degrees, they were very pleased, saying I was ahead of the curve for 18 days out. @maryo52 @Celle @Oldie @Pumpkln @turtle68 We talked about the why and what was done. My ligaments were loose, stretched out which made my original knee unstable. He gave me a knee with a bigger plastic platform which stabled up the ligaments. I guess that is the spacer that @skigirl talked about she had done. I don't go back again till late March/early April.

The fact the my foot/ankle has been hurting they feel that in stretching out and raising up the skin, they may have irritated a nerve. It is in alignment with the calf/ankle/foot pain I've had. I also have a tingly area on the top of the foot which makes them think even more it's the nerve. It has gotten better than it was but will need to completely heal.

I got pictures of all my X-rays and once I scan it I'll show a pic of the old knee and new knee and the noticeable space inbetween the components. They put a long bandage over my incision, because some of the holes where the staples came out started to bleed. They just want me to keep it covered and dry one more day until those holes close. And....NO more TED hose, yay!!!!! I was told I could drive since I did not need to walk with a cane. I think I'll wait till after Christmas though. My two knees are actually very near the same size after over 3 years! Almost no swelling after 18 days. This recovery has just been like nothing I ever imagined after the first time of being sooo horrible!!! Of course I've followed the Bonesmart mantra of rest, rest, rest, ice and elevate!!

[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bonnie, I've been away to a conference and then on vacation and missed ALL your exciting news!!! I'm thrilled to hear your surgery has gone so well and that you're on the mend. It sounds like you have a peach of a surgeon this time, thankfully.

Keep doing what you're doing....LOTS of rest and gentle bending and stretching. I know it's not the most glamorous way to recover, but I is the path that works the best in most cases.
 
Hi Bonnie! The alerts stopped on your post so I lost you! Slow and easy wins the race! Hard for people like us to hear huh? Sounds like you are doing much better at it than I was though! Keep it up my friend!:happydance:
 
Bonnie, what a great Christmas present. I am so thrilled for you and can only imagine how great it feels to be through the revision and have matching knees. Just keep on doing that Bonesmart mantra - I think you're probably very wise to not start driving until after Christmas. It's crazy out there on the roads with Christmas traffic and now pouring rain.

Hugs, Dorothy:xmasdance:
 
Yes, I am in Missouri right now and we have ice! Thankfully, Mom and I won't be leaving this leg of the journey until we return to the airport! We were in KC for four days and I stayed with my cousin,while Mom stayed with her sister and we met each night for dinner, and during the day for my "taxi servicing abilities!" Capsie is no longer a problem!:happydance:
 
Here is X-Ray of the new revision knee and original TRK. Frontal view and side view of both. You can see that I have much more space between the components with the new revision knee. New on the left, old on the right
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 249
  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    image.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 246
  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    image.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 271
  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    image.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 253
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Jamie! I wondered where you were, welcome back! Yes I did indeed find a peach of a doctor, I could not be happier with Dr. Incavo. I feel the same way about him like Sonja feels about her Dr. Maale.
 
Bonnie, your revision knee looks exactly like my revision knee, different brand but exactly the same, the thick spacer with post and the long stems. Did the dr. tell you why the thick spacer? Mine was to compensate for bone they had to remove from tibia that was damaged that caused the previos implant to be lose.
Well here's hoping you have a gentle PT so you can continue your great recovery!
 
Back
Top Bottom