Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Bonnie, that is a wonderful report. Sounds like you've got a perfect new knee that will take you far on your new journey. Thinking of you. Glad you don't have to use the CPM. Have they been icing and elevating your leg in the hospital? Just curious because the mantra at St.Lukes was keep your leg straight.

Hugs, Dorothy
 
turtle68, Icing and elevation here. I constantly have ice packs with leg elevated. When I work on extension they roll a towel to go under my ankle, then put the big ice pack on top. Sitting like that with the weight of the ice pack for a while gets uncomfortable but this because it's making my leg straight.
 
Hi, Bonnie. I've spent the last couple of evenings reading your journey and feel compelled to say I thoroughly admire your spirit and fortitude throughout. I was thinking of you this morning, wondering how you were getting on, and just thought I'd drop a line! So far, it sounds like you're really doing well!!
 
Bluetechseeker, Good morning! Thanks for taking time to say hello, so nice to meet you...albeit virtually! I see you will have Bilatteral TKR's in January. I know it takes a really strong person to go though both at one time so obviously your doc thinks that you are that person! You've come to the right place to get all the support you could ever want. Even though family and friends are there all around you ready to help, it really helps to have contact with people that have gone through or going through the same with you.no question is too small nor too big, we are here for you!
 
Well since I checked in last, they sprung me from the hospital about noon on Wednesday. There was just no reason to keep me there. Pain level managed, all vitals and blood good. Mobility wise I was ahead of the curve on the Physical Therapy they wanted me to be capable of. My ROM was measured to 90 degrees before I left for home.

Now, with that being said, I know I still have a long road to recovery because even through things have started out much better than the first TKR, I did have a revision nonetheless and it takes time.

I did have a pretty crummy overnight last night, its to be expected. Fever bout 100, sometimes hot some times cold . Many potty trips to get up for. (All I did in the hospital was drink water) not much sleep trying to get comfortable. So even though it was a crummy night I am still doing better than with my first TKR. Very sore leg muscles/soft tissue which will just take time. Up 5 pounds weight increase in fluid /leg swelling which once the swelling goes down I know my leg will feel better. Going to ice and elevate all day. There is no pain in the joint whatsoever, I do have flexion that I know will continue to increase! I've never had a problem ever with extension but this time may be a little more work or maybe not, with the leg swelling I am not sure yet.

Dave is taking good care of me once again. Keeping my ice fresh, making sure I have everything I need. He just delivered to the bed a ham and cheese omelette, mango slices and coffee. He has taken the week off work. Every now and then I get up and walk around my house with the walker so I can keep weight bearing, and keep the circulation going. So thankful that we are in a one story house now. I'll be wearing TED hose for 3 weeks, I have an appointment to have my 3 week check up on December 20 and get my staples out.

I don't want to leave anyone with the wrong impression that revision is no big deal because it is, but based on how I felt with the TRK 2 years 8 months ago, I am just getting off to a better start this time and it amazes me and makes me happy !!!
 
Thank you so much, Bonnie! I've been so thankful and amazed at all of the support I've received from all you Bonesmarties so far :dancy: I don't personally know anyone that's had a TKR, needless to say a BTKR, so every bit of information and all the suggestions sure come in handy. It's definitely giving me a sense of calm going into surgery. I've been giving my hubby points and highlights, keeping him involved and informed along the way. Seeing your journey and following the ups and downs of others really makes me realize this IS a marathon, take it easy, and definitely take one day at a time.

I look forward to hearing more of how your wonderful recovery is going. Your positive attitude and thoughts are wonderful!
 
This little girl has not left my side. Those of you that have known me for a long time, know that I lost my dog Molly on the morning of my first TKR. I have my precious little angel now named Gracie. Dave said she watched the door for 3 days while I was gone. Now home she is right at my side taking care of me. Unconditional love is the best love ever!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    image.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 220
Congratulations Bonnie ! All sounds good and staples out for Christmas . It's just that patience time again but it's good that you are so positive and seeing a difference already . Good luck
 
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
Oh, Bonnie, Gracie is adorable, and what beautiful, soulful eyes she has. I know she is a great comfort to you.
 
Question...

How often should I be doing Ankle Pumps (which are no problem for me) along with heel slides, quad sets, short arc, straight leg raises? The hospital Physical Therapy told me to do 3 sets per day.. So yesterday 1 set in am Physical Therapy, 2nd set in pm Physical Therapy and 3rd set was at my house. I got very sore from this, so all I did today was ankle pumps.

So...at 4 days revision post op please tell me what 'YOU' would consider ? I want to make sure I get this right so I welcome all comments and questions. Home Physical Therapy starts next week, 3 days a week so I don't want to be too sore when they come.. Please help...
 
Bonnie, I was determined to do all thaat you mentioned above and went to out patient pt only after 1 week. In restropect, and finally my husband convinced me that I needed to rest some days, then I would just do the ankle pumps, heel sllides, and leg raises. So I agree you did the right thing today. It will be interesting to see what your home pt is like. I had home pt after my spinal fusion, and it was wonderful, just gentle, and adding new things every week, and lots of rest and walking around house with walker.

I did better in outpatient pt with Rom after I stopped exercising so much. The PT woould comment how well I was doing so I must be diligently doing my home exercises 3 times a day. I would just smile to myself, even when he would make comments about how I would refuse to do an exercise that caused pain. And that was before I discovered BS. By the way your Gracie is adorable and I love how she is watching out for you.
 
Bonnie, sounds like you are doing fine with your revision, but if you are sore and swollen maybe you are doing too much. I don't know how many you do in each set, but I know I did only about 5 heel slides , 5 quad sets, 5 leg stetches (pushing knees into bed) about 3 times a day. Ankle pumps as many as wanted. That's what I was told, and I notice Josephine also recomends the same. There is no rush to increase ROM, Just try to stay confortable and avoid swelling which slows the healing.
Good luck!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
Bonnie, you are just doing too much. You should know better.
Just what Oldie says is a plenty along with whatever walking you're doing to get from bedroom to bathroom to kitchen to your regular nesting spot. I only did exercises when the PT came to the house. I figured the exercise I got from my daily activities was a plenty.

This is very, very early days. You should be following the mantras to the letter not exercising till you're sore. Now behave yourself and go lie down and do nothing.
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
Take care of yourself. We care.
 
turtle68 Oldie, my main goal right now is to get the swelling down. If it were running or weight training there would most certainly be rest days. What was so sore all day was soft tissue, muscles, etc. actually my entire leg is sore to the touch. I know that this would be from the way that we are grabbed at and jerked around during surgery. Probably a few more days and the bruising will set in. I know that swelling limits ROM, I just wanted to see how often any of you would do the exercises. If my leg is up to it, I'll try some sets again ,but not at the cost of swelling!

I've never had home Physical Therapy before, it will be all new to me. Thank you both for your input.
 
bottomshollow, Judy, that is all I really did for the day. Lay down, iced, ankle pumps and occasional walks around the house. I actually came home from the hospital sore from the 3 times (pt) they came to see me in the hospital. I already decided today, if I am sore then I am not doing anything but ankle pumps . After all, today was only day 3 post op, so pretty much decided I'll do exercises when the Physical Therapy comes to me and when they are not here, I will be resting.
 
That's the idea, Bonnie! Just do the ankle pumps. As for the rest, walking to and from the bathroom etc will do all you need for now. There's plenty of time to do the rest - later.

After I was discharged from hospital, I had no PT for a month, and then I only had 3 visits at 2-weekly intervals. The PT would show me new exercises, i would say "OK", but I'd usually forget to do them! I did practice bending my leg when I was sitting on a chair, and seeing how much further back I could get it each time. I did that every time I sat down - but I never did sets of exercises.

I had a revision and I have a Stryker too. It works just fine and my ROM is 0 to about 120.
 
I slept better last night, still taking my pain meds every 4 hours although overnight I went 6 hours because I was sleeping. The muscle/soft tissue soreness is much better today so for 4 days post op I am doing pretty well. I am going to spend the day icing and elevating again and just doing ankle pumps along with occasional walking around my house. That obviously helped doing the same yesterday so I'm not going to blow it now!

Now...who was it who told me that there was aching in their shin bone? I think I am starting to feel that ache.
 
Bonnie, I am so sorry for your loss. What an awful thing to happen. Love to you my Dear!
 
Thank you amackness if you are referring back to Molly. My journey has pretty much been if it can go wrong, it will and what's next? Just finished surgery #4, four days ago and I am very positive that everything will be all right now.
 
Hi Bonnie, great to hear you're doing so well. Perhaps at this early stage the shin bone ache could be bruising from the surgery. I had what felt like shin splints. I used to put heat on it and that helped. In later months of recovery when it hadn't gone I also had a pain up to the fibula head. My physio mobilised the fibula head and it eased of significantly. Hardly ever get it now.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom