Guest viewing is limited

TKR Nerdgrrl's knee recovery thread

Megan, my doctor and PA were the odd ones that did not like a ice. I am going to ask PT today about it. I have been using ice on the side. When I got the redness and all the bruising and swelling on the back of the knee, they said absolutely no ice on it. I have used some ice on the inside of the knee - never on the incision and it sure has healed up nicely. I have really tried to do what the PA told me, although I have stopped wearing the thigh high compression stocking and slowed down on the CPM since I am doing the exercises the PT gave me 2-3 times a day. I know ice sure does help a lot of people on here. What did you OS tell you about ice?
 
OS is a huge advocate of ice- wanted me to rent a special machine that would keep cold on my knee whenever I am off my feet. I have been using ice packets both on top of and behind my knee. The ice massage on you tube shows direct application of ice to the skin for a very limited time. I am not a fan of cold, so I have not tried ice massage yet. :yikes:
 
Hi @Megan- I would say it helps. It's not a miracle cure, and my knee swells right back up after I exercise, but it is helpful. If you have some Dixie cups around, it's not too hard to give it a try and see if it works for you.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So I went for my follow-up visit and to the PT today. That was a full day!

PA said knee looked "beautiful" but wanted to keep the staples in a little longer. I go back on Monday. We discussed the sharp pain I am having and she did a few tests. Said I had not torn anything and it is probably the IT band being irritated. She gave me some very gentle stretches to try, to help loosen it a bit.

At PT we did some new exercises, mostly along the lines of practicing weight shifting onto my left leg. She also did a "milking" massage of my leg to help move the swelling out and some very gentle massage of the IT band. Wow, such a simple thing but the sharp pain is greatly reduced - it was only happening with certain motions but when it did happen...ouch! Anyway, hopefully that relief will stick around and get better. ROM was 3-87. After warming it up and some massage I got it to 90, but that probably won't stick.

I hope all the US folks have a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow! Happy Thursday to everyone else!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The range 'will stick'. After a long day the knee swells and it's hard to duplicate sometimes. After ice and gentle stretching it will get better every day. I didn't have staples out until 14 days post op so you're still a few days early. Sometimes when the staples are removed you can really feel the difference. I'm glad the PT did a 'gentle message' of IT band. My therapist announce it was 'really going' to hurt and she was right. I think it probably did more harm than good! Most docs use the arbitrary flexion number of 90 at 6 weeks so you're doing great there also!! :dancy::egypdance: Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!!
 
Phew! Had a busy couple weeks that included relatives visiting this past weekend (they stayed at my mom's house nearby).

Here I am after three weeks...
So the exciting news first. ROM today was 2 to 118 after warmup (it was 4 to 112 cold). I overdid the outings yesterday, or it might have been better. Last Friday was 0 to 110. I have started driving! Just short trips within my part of town, but wow the feeling of independence is wonderful! I am down to one crutch. Will probably switch to cane soon. However, my knee still fatigues pretty quickly, so if I know I am going to need to cover big distance, I take both the crutches. But for around the house and short little trips one crutch is fine.

I definitely still have trouble sitting for lengths of time without elevating - such as when we went out to dinner with the visiting relatives. It seems like the length of time to drive to a nearby restaurant, order, and eat is about all I can handle. I definitely need to ice and elevate once I get home. I am curious how I will handle going back to work, but that's not for another three weeks at least.

I also have another question. My doc has me on Meloxicam (an NSAID) for pain and swelling. I am wondering what the difference is between Meloxicam and the other NSAIDs such as naproxen and ibuprofen. Obviously, ibuprofen is taken more often, but just wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other.

Happy Monday!
 
Congratulations on your new freedom! I can't wait to drive!!! I am happy you had such a nice time with your relatives visiting. AND....WOW!!! on the ROM!!!!! You go girl!
 
Thanks! I think the ROM is because I am almost on the too flexible side of things. It's probably what caused me to tear the ACL in the first place many years ago, but sure helps now!
 
Excellent news!! Congrats!!! I drove for the 1st time last Friday. I know what you mean about the feeling of independence. I am also at the 3 week mark and I have the same trouble sitting without elevating. Between the car trip and the restaurant meal, I am sore and ready to elevate. You are doing so well with your ROM!!
Megan
 
Good job with the range of motion. I know from my past experience with my knee injuries that my range of motion will likely come slowly.
 
Oh and forgot to mention I can also do a full revolution on the exercise bike, both backwards and forwards, but with the seat higher than I would normally ride.

I definitely overdid it on the weekend going out to eat three times. I told my family we need to go to some sort of Ancient Greek or Roman restaurant where we lie on lounge chairs and have food brought to us. :) After PT today, I tried to make it a mostly rest,ice, and elevate day. Tomorrow will probably be much the same.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well an exciting day so far! Good thing I am down to one crutch, as I have worn through the tip on one of them. A bit of an exciting discovery on a hardwood floor. Luckily, it didn't slide out from under me and I didn't scratch the floor! Double win! Ordering some more tips right now.

Also, the taking it easy, icing, and elevating is already paying off. I can actually see that I have a kneecap with my leg fully extended! Woo hoo, exciting times, I tell you!

I have been entertaining myself by watching classic "Dr Who" in order from the beginning... Or at least as much as Netflix has - some of the early episodes have been lost. I am now up to the second season of the third Doctor (Jon Pertwee). Fun times! :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You are doing great! When I first went back to work I dragged an armless chair next to my chair, tossed a pillow on it, and propped my leg up as much as I could. Even plugged my cryocuff in and iced it a lot. Made a huge difference.

You must have really been walking a lot to wear out the cane tip!
 
Oh and forgot to mention I can also do a full revolution on the exercise bike, both backwards and forwards, but with the seat higher than I would normally ride.

I definitely overdid it on the weekend going out to eat three times. I told my family we need to go to some sort of Ancient Greek or Roman restaurant where we lie on lounge chairs and have food brought to us. :) After PT today, I tried to make it a mostly rest,ice, and elevate day. Tomorrow will probably be much the same.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Yes, eat Ancient Roman style. :wink: Way to go on the forward rotation on the bike! Definitely a milestone.
Have a great :ice:day.
 
So today I decided to massage my IT band while in the shower (sitting on shower bench). OMG, with the warm water and the massage, it felt wonderful! Nothing much to report on the progress side, since I didn't have PT today.

I was having a craving yesterday, so I decided to go to Trader Joes and pick up what I wanted - reasoning that it is a small store and their handicapped parking is very close. Well, that was a mistake. I could feel my knee swelling and I was getting *really* cranky, so I got what I needed and came back. Ate, and iced all evening, but it still felt "full" when I went to bed and I had a "nice" wakeup at about 4 am and didn't get back to sleep for awhile. Feels pretty good today, so I am just doing PT and hanging around the house. So far so goood!

It is soooo hard to know where my overdo it limit is. Plus I am getting a little stir crazy and want to get out. I have discovered that dinner out is ok as long as I can elevate on a chair or bench, and I take time to just move the knee around every half hour or so. Small steps, I know. I just finished telling someone on the hip side to be patient and it is still "early days", ha ha. It is so much easier to dish out that advice after its over, than to follow it when one is going through it!:groan:
 
@nerdgrrl, sorry to hear the knee is giving you trouble, sounds like the warm shower helped. I hear you on the cravings! Do you have to deal with snow yet. Be gentle with yourself, its not a month yet. I also hear you on the stir crazy, we need a good joke thread. Its great you got out of the house it helps. Its important to do something nice for yourself. Id like to hear your take on which joint is an easier recovery pain wise. I heard some awful knee stories while at the rehab hospital.

Your kittys are gorgeous, especially the orange one. Do you have a dog as well. My pomchi is at my side constantly, a nice back warmer. It was fun taking her for walks. Id love to hear your fur baby stories. Animals are such good therapists, a group of therapy dogs came to the rehab hospital weekly. Family also brought pets to visit their owners. A very nice touch.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job @nerdgrrl you have been really active I find if I go out for abfewbhours I come back exhausted and ready for a nap. I am so close to getting a full revolution on the bike maybe tomorrow. If I cheat and pull my hip back a bit I can just manage a revolution.
Take care have a great weekend :flwrysmile:
 
Awesome! So glad you are doing well. Continue to be positive because it helps...take care and welcome to the other side my sister

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
I love to work my knee in the shower. I shudder to think what our water bill will be! I hope you enjoyed your trip to Trader Joes a little and the craving was satisfied. Sorry you were hurting. Was today a better day?
 
Thanks @Timetolive! Yes, I was fine the next day. I think I was a little hangry on top of the swelling.

Great news today! Once fully warmed up, my ROM was 0 to 125! When I first walked in it was 2 to 115. I am walking around the house with no crutches or cane (except for stairs or middle of the night wakeups). I still have to concentrate a bit when I walk so I don't trust myself in the middle of the night without some backup.

I can do stairs the normal way, but only with assistance from my hand on the banister to take some of the weight. I still definitely use the cane outside, especially on uneven surfaces. Got permission from the PT to start working on distance - which for me to start would be a flat 1/4 mile to start and see how I do. So excited! It's not raining today, so we might try that tonight.

I just talked to my Ortho's office and they are going to approve me for phased return to work starting the 28th. Two weeks for 4 hours/day, then starting full time after that. Works for me! I will be ready to get to work, but I was concerned about trying to go to full time right away, so this is perfect!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom