Guest viewing is limited

TKR Nerdgrrl's knee recovery thread

^too true. I would shower and get dressed and then rest.
 
Well, big progress and a setback today.

Progress: able to do some straight leg raises unassisted! Yay, me.

Setback: nausea and vomiting this morning. The nausea feels like motion sickness. I had zofran (no help) and scopolamine patch in hospital. Took the patch off yesterday as it should have been spent, but now having issues. On-call doc is calling in a scopolamine prescription for me, but right now I feel like I have the bed spins. So odd, I did not have these issues after the hip, so not sure what is different. :(




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well done on the straight leg raises. :yes!: Now you can do them, you don't have to do lots of them. Just the occasional one will be enough.

I'm sorry about your nausea and dizziness and I hope the scopolamine works for you.
 
Congratulations on the straight leg raises! Raise that battered and beaten leg of yours and just marvel at what modern medicine can do!

Nausea and vomiting are not good. Believe me, I know. I had the Zofran and Reglan. There are so many anti-nausea meds out there, don't give up! I pray you will find the right combination for you. In the meantime, saltines and graham crackers really helped me through my rough patch.
 
Congrats on the leg raises! Re not feeling so great - that's how I felt when I tried to back off my pain meds too quickly.
 
I use scopolamine for motion sickness so it should help you pretty soon after applying it. I used it for a seven day trip and the one thing I learned is that after a while sometimes you can have some problems when you stop them too. I hope you're feeling better by he time you are reading this.
 
You are doing great!!! Keep it up!
 
Scopolamine came and has worked its magic. I feel much better and food and liquids are staying down, and medicines are staying down, too(!). Now just very drowsy, which is fine.

Now I have a weird problem. I was working on ROM. Having no problems getting to full extension, or at least I think it is full, if not it's only a couple of degrees off.

However, when working on flexion, I was bending and felt a snap and pain. This has never happened to me before and is a bit worrisome. I started icing and elevating right away, but it is still more stiff. Has anyone else had this happen? Pain is on lateral side near but below the joint line and it seems more swollen to me. Also, can't get the bending ROM that I was getting.

I am hoping that it was some freak thing due to swelling, and am continuing ice and elevation.

Anyone else had something similar?




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Use the ice tonight and elevate. If the pain was just a quick burst of pain and it didn't stay you probably did no damage. See how you are in the morning. You can always call the on-call doctor tomorrow if you have any concerns. I did have that happen to me but I was further out from the surgery. I also had problems going from complete extension to my full extension for a while after my surgery. I'm not sure what caused it but it eventually went away.
 
Love hearing about your puppies, I have two at home that I can't wait to see. And I have to share something that cracked me up; you were writing about sending pics to your dr. Then about taking a shower. In my fuzzy state of mind I was like, why is she sending shower pictures?.
 
I am happy you have the nausea sorted out! Sleepy is good! Now that you will be able to eat and keep things down, be sure you take your "helpers" for constipation. Have a great day!
 
Welcome to the other side nice to follow your journey. I am 10 days post op and feel good. Stay in the pain meds I take mine every 5 hrs going to start pushing a little longer. love your purromedics I have 5 rat terriers to keep me company and via for my company :puppysmooze::doggie::dogwalk:. They don't leave my side unless dad comes home or has treats .
I am glad you got the nausea under control I had it in the hospital not good.
Have a great day you are doing just fine. :loveshwr:
 
The other purramedic
[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl's knee recovery thread



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I also had TKR on 11/16/15 so I will be following your progress and sending my good wishes your way.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's always nice to have our four legged friends to help us through our recovery. At my lowest points I would have one of my 'dogsters' nearby to stroke. They are always there to help. I hope you continue to feel better every day!:puppysmooze:
 
So, yesterday I went for my first PT outside the hospital. She said I was looking good, and gave me some pointers. We discussed the painful "spot" since my snapping incident on Saturday. We both think I probably irritated the IT band, since where it is most painful is right where it attaches in the knee area. Swelling is probably a contributing factor. So, it is still painful if I do certain things, which I try to avoid. I will discuss with the PA at my follow-up (and staple removal!) appointment tomorrow.

She also showed me some ice massage that I can do myself to help get the swelling moving out, and some regular gentle massage for the same thing. The regular massage will need to by done by someone else, but good to know about the option.

I am also starting to have calf cramps, which a couple of other folks have mentioned. I have started with the muscle relaxant, but that doesn't seem to make much of a dent. Or maybe it is, since it is achy instead of a full-on cramp. Another item for tomorrow's discussion list.

Other than that, I have been very tired, so I sleep a lot, which is probably fine.
 
Hi @nerdgrrl I am going to have my staples out today. I also joined the ODIC on Sunday and paid for it yesterday could not do much at all and slept pretty much the whole day. Feeling a little better this morning. My knee feels very stiff at moment and I am interested to see what os says about swelling ect. Hang in there we are still very young in this recovery. :good-bad: I am also waiting to start pt I have been doing my own pt at home.
 
Sleep is good. I can be sitting and just all of a sudden....:zzz::zzz: I am out! I have gone from sleeping most of the night to not sleeping. I hope you can get your swelling down. It sure does hurt. Here's to a peaceful night!
 
I am curious to know if you have tried the ice massage yet? I googled the term and watched several you tube videos on how to do it. If ice massage really helps with the swelling I think I would be willing to try it. What do you think??
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom