Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Nensi_New_Nees

Congrats Nensi on your progress and less knee-centric activities.
Do drop in and let us know how it is going at work. Will you take cool packs with you? Will you be ale to raise/ elevate the legs at all?
 
Hi Nancy, yes only 3 seasons of Grace and Frankie, just finished that last evening! I've been busy in the water 3X/week, Pre-op stuff last week and this week to begin all over again! 2 weeks from yesterday for righty, beginning to feel a bit apprehensive! Glad normalcy is ebbing into your life! Miss your regular posts, but glad r life is not so centered about the knees!
 
wishing you all the best going back to work. remember to take care of yourself just as you have been doing. :fingersx:
 
It has been difficult juggling everything this last week - lots of activity here, school started for Elena yesterday and the other two kids off on vacation before college starts.
Yesterday was my NINE week knee-versary. Woot woot
I also went in to work for about 2 hours yesterday to join a telecom with Chinese and Europeans colleagues in person and drove myself there.
It was tiring but not debilitating, while I did ice and elevate as soon as I got home, I was not exhausted, in other words...I didn't have to take a nap to rejuvenate myself :)
I have been sleeping well, still wake up occasionally to turn and I am still taking a Combi Tramadol/paracetamol before going to bed. But I am not really awake with those turns. Biggest challenge is getting comfy when I first lay down. But for more than a week now I have been sleeping on my side - one side or th other -
the whole night !
 
Great news on the side sleeping! Sleep is so much better in your preferred position. So glad the short foray into work went well. Taking it slow is the way to go!
 
Nancy - So happy to hear your work day went well and other things in life and knees are falling into place. Congrats on your 9 weeks kneeversary! You will find the next six weeks will bring some real changes. Things start to feel more natural and every once in a while you will find yourself forgetting about knees altogether for short periods. It's exhilarating and exhausting at the same time because it becomes very easy to join the ODIC when you are not watching! Life is Grand!
 
@nensi, huge kudos on side-sleeping! That's such a satisfying victory and one that provides the much needed beauty rest more comfortably.:SUNsmile:

Congratulations as well on returning to work, even if for just two hours! What a great way to start; woot!:yes!:

It sounds as though life has been a bit chaotic but you are now up to handling everything that comes your way; cool beans! I'll echo what @Canda35 said, *the next 4-5 weeks bring about some really positive changes,* so get ready for some real excitement! Soon, you'll be back to riding your bike, traipsing down the stairs, and....oh, how could I forget? Skateboarding, lol. Please, keep us updated on your phenomenal progress!:SUNsmile:
 
Pooped.
Describes everything about me right now.
Half a day at work today went great. Not so copacetic getting up at 6am because I am sooooooooooooo slow at doing everything and had to shower before work.
I have a recliner at work and ice packs and I iced and elevated from 10-11, while I was editing a report :) @VW54
Came home on time, everything still good.... gave DH a lift to his newspaper cafe, came home and elevated till time to pick him up....everything still good.
Went to PT, new exercises seemed ok at the time but after I got home - KICKED MY BUTT.
Worthless for the rest of the evening and am writing this quickly before I hit the hay, yep - remember the line before the 10 o clock news - "It's ten 'o clock, do YOU know where your children are ?
Well, this child is gonna be IN bed.
More news tomorrow !

And @sooz58 you are gonna ace this knee number two - look at all the good examples you have - @kmak81230 and @Jennszoo and @Thesoutherncook and @Happydale , just to mention a few...
I hope I tune in on time to welcome you to the other side again !
 
awe thanks so much! You are right with all those to look up to! Hope you are sleeping a wonderful restful sleep!
 
I'm glad you're giving yourself half days at work so you can build up to a full work schedule. Even so, you're bound to be exhausted by day's end. At least you know how to chill. :heehee: Ice and elevate. Ice and elevate. I'm sure somewhere there's a craftsy person making wood plaques with that saying fit for hanging on the wall.
 
@nensi, just look at you, back in the Real World of Work! Day One with PT following didn't sound like too much fun, so I'm really glad to hear Day Two was minus the PT Factor! Waking up at 6 does sound really bogus to me, but...I'm a night-owl. I certainly did do those kinds of hours for 35+ years and now I'm so glad I don't have to. Hope you catch some really restorative zzzz's tonight!
 
Congratulations Nancy! You are a working woman again! I am sure it's going to take a while to get your stamina back especially with having to get up so early! Take care and keep up the icing and elevating!
 
Second work week! Still working half days and I still need to !
Settling into the routine, and I think that I am getting stronger but I need lots of rest. I am getting a little better at knowing my limits. PT still results in muscle pain big time and a early bedtime.
Still taking Tramadol/Tylenol before bed, wondering when I should try a switch to Tylenol only...
Noticing improvements like swinging my legs easily out of the car and my left leg not tiring when it has to hold in the clutch for extended period of time..
On the down side, I have put on quite a few pounds, weigh in tomorrow. Disappointed about that and I can't up my activity level and on the other side of the equation can't seem to motivate myself to eat smart....
 
that's good you are recognizing you need to rest after work. amazing your new knees are doing so well driving a standard. i know what you mean about the weight coming back on ~ same here ~ and i don't want to deprive myself of unhealthy but tasty treats.:groan: if you do decide to wean off the tramadol before bed, then maybe it would be a good idea to try on a weekend. you're doing great.:flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
@nensi, it's hard enough just to recover from one knee, never mind two. Going back to work adds another level of challenge and exhaustion. Adding PT to the mix, especially if it causes pain (what's up with that?) is a third, complicating factor. Worrying about weight and food choices right now just seems beyond the pale. When you are much further along the recovery path, beyond PT, less exhausted and fully comfortable getting back into the swing of work, then you can concern yourself with a few extra pounds. Seriously, don't do this to yourself right now. Enjoy your ice cream and Belgian chocolates; you've earned them!
 
You're recovering so well! Doing only half-days is best for now, but you are getting stronger (not imagining that) and that's because you're getting enough rest and taking things at a moderate pace. That you can drive with manual transmission is wonderful. I'm wondering, though, if you might not do better to cut back on the PT?

Don't fret about weight. You strike me as someone who was very active before surgery. Your high energy comes through with every post you write, and all the pictures you posted, and, well, everything. So I bet you will become very active again as soon as your knees allow you to do so. When that happens, and you return to your former life and patterns, watch the weight fly right off!
 
Went to PT, new exercises seemed ok at the time but after I got home - KICKED MY BUTT.

Isn't it amazing how this happens? The things we do at PT seem so "easy," yet they do kick us where it hurts sometimes. As exercises go, the PT moves seem really moderate, and yet I find myself sweating! You're killing it, though, Nensi! Back to work for a couple of weeks, keeping up with the PT, and still smiling!?! :happydance:

Worrying about weight and food choices right now just seems beyond the pale.
Seriously, don't do this to yourself right now. Enjoy your ice cream and Belgian chocolates; you've earned them!

I agree with @Pheebs52. Look at all the changes you've made recently. Don't sweat the poundage. You're a champion doing all the things you are doing right now. Good things will come, because you will make them happen. :yes!:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom