Need to make a decision about TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been 2 1/2 years since knee#1 and I struggled for a year of shot before I pulled the trigger. I had finally lost 100 lbs and was trying to regain my active lifestyle of hiking and biking. I was still biking but would pay for each ride at night. Walking and steps had become a joke.

Still I resisted, focusing on what I could do and the risks associated with the surgery.

Finally, with the help of this forum I realized that I still had the opportunity to have an active life and the opportunity to look forward to retirement.

Since my new knees. I have biked the c and O canal in Maryland. The Katy trail in Missouri, hiked from rim to river at the Grand Canyon. Sectioned hiked parts of the AT and canoed the White Cliffs section of the upper Missouri River in Montana. I also skied 60 days last season at Lake Tahoe.

Most importantly, my knee NEVER hurt during or after an activity! Other parts of me don't always fair so well. I am proud to say that my knees are the best performing part of my body..

It was hard for me to say go also because I didn't think I was "bad enough", I was still active and the pain "wasn't so bad".

It took a while to realize that we don't have to give up life before we have this surgery.
We particularly should not waste large junks of our life waiting to be " bad enough" or "old enough" or whatever other roadblock we or others create for us.

Find a doc who does hundreds of knees a year, not a great guy who does a little of everything and get it done.

Yes, it takes a while to get to your final complete recovery, but you'll be walking in days. Your arthritic pain will be gone and every day will get better instead of worse.

Good luck with your decision process. It is not an easy one, but...
Th
 
That is a wonderful testimonial. And I think it speaks to all of us. Thanks Gene.
 
The only regret I have is I didn't do it sooner! I put is off for so many years I had forgotten what it is like to be active! I can get down and play with our 2 year old grandson in the dirt in the middle of our yard (hey and not have anything to get me back up) I am back to walking (only a mile now) for the first time in about 5 years. I took a 4 wheel drive way back into the woods today and loved it. I am reclaiming my life again.
 
The only regret I have is I didn't do it sooner! I put is off for so many years I had forgotten what it is like to be active!
I have read that ll too often! I am glad tht had mine done when I did---for some reason, I actually made the decision and it really worked out!

I can get down and play with our 2 year old grandson in the dirt in the middle of our yard (hey and not have anything to get me back up) I am back to walking (only a mile now) for the first time in about 5 years. I took a 4 wheel drive way back into the woods today and loved it. I am reclaiming my life again.
It is amazing to see how much you can do and how much more you can enjoy it!
 
True. In retrospect I really don't know how I was functioning at all before the TKR.
 
In retrospect I really don't know how I was functioning at all before the TKR.
I know that I was "making do" with what I had left in my knees---and my activities were limited---sleep was awful. Exercise made me pay---especially at the end of the day. Ice bags were my best friends.

Not any more!
 
I think you know your answer about getting it done. It is tough, no doubt, but you can! come back from TKR and do almost everything you want. I had my Right TKR done in 2004 and before my accident this march I was riding 5 miles a day on my bike and going about my life. I plan to do that again!!!
Best thoughts!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
[Bonesmart.org] Need to make a decision about TKR
Most of us wish we had taken the bull by the horns and done it sooner. We would have saved ourselves months or years of aches and pains and slowly giving up many of our favorite activities and found life less and less fun for us and our families.

Once I decided to get it done, I never looked back and I have no regrets at all. I LOVE MY NEW KNEES and my new hip, too! I have a life now and I am enjoying it.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
I finally saw the OS, a different one. He is conservative and mentioned my age and waiting until I was 65 or so (8 years!) mainly because of revisions. I stated that I am in the best physical condition of my life, young (this works for me here) and active and committed to a physical fitness program now. He wasn't disagreeing with me, just doing the usual disclaimers. Once he saw a new x-ray and compared it to last year's (I am now bone on bone with no narrowing and my leg is starting to bow) he no longer gave me the "too young" line. I do not feel waiting for 8 years, giving up things I love to do and being in pain, is worth the unknown of a future revision. I know that I have the physical strength to work through this and a high level of pain tolerance (at least with the past surgeries and now constant pain) but I do read horror stories of postop pain and I have to admit it makes me nervous. Thanks for everyone's comments. It really helped me decide to do this now while I can still enjoy my dogs and working out.
 
Once he saw a new x-ray and compared it to last year's (I am now bone on bone with no narrowing and my leg is starting to bow) he no longer gave me the "too young" line. I do not feel waiting for 8 years, giving up things I love to do and being in pain, is worth the unknown of a future revision.
This is, I believe, the absolutely correct approach. Your life and what you want to do have to be considered---not our age.

but I do read horror stories of postop pain and I have to admit it makes me nervous.
For what it is worth, when I came out of surgery,---and when I arrived home, my pain was actually very well controlled. I did have issues with adhesions, but very, very few people get them. I would not worry about that post-surgical pain much. Besides, if there is pain or discomfort, it will subside; it is not the arthritis pain that will get worse.
 
referee54 Thanks again for the encouraging words. Now that I've made the decision, I feel like a weight has been lifted off me. I felt like I had been defeated after trying everything under the sun to delay this surgery and give me a better "window" so that I wouldn't need a revision. If it lasts 15 years, I'll be 73. I'll worry about that then. In the meantime, I've got living to do!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom