TKR need reassurance please

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best analogy I read was try to bend a hose full of water, can't do it. Now take that same hose, let the water run out and it becomes very pliable. When the swelling subsides, the knee will bend. At 2 weeks, your body is still reeling from the brutality that was your TKR. Listen to the experienced folks here, they certainly helped me manage my expectations plus they provided great recovery advice.
 
Thanks it's so helpful to know that these sensations and feelings are "normal". have had a better day today, actually feel a bit more like me again and feeling more positive. The support here is so helpful xxx
 
Oh, so glad it is better today. I understand the worry when you feel something you have never felt before. How can you help it? Instinctual to be concerned. You will have felt a lot of new sensations before this journey is over. Never hurts to double-check to make sure that everything is ok.
 
Feels a bit like 2 steps forward 1 step back at the moment, although bend and walking seem better leg aches from ankle to hip and nthing seems to ease it, can't find a comfortable position. Am now 4 weeks post-op so hope to see an easing of aches now!
 
I'm just checking in to see how you are and sending a virtual bouquet of flowers. I'm such a newbie here that I don't have a lot to add except to say I try to celebrate every little bit of progress I make. I went from 110 to 115 flexion and you would have thought I'd won a gold medal. I have a therapeutic team who encourages and celebrates with me. I might suggest buying yourself a little gift. Now I can get out and shop a bit, but I can't tell you how many little things I've ordered from Amazon. I'm an educator living on my own so you know I'm not living a life of luxury, but finding something special that cheers me up has helped. I send my best.


GNee
TKR JUNE 15, 2015
 
I was concerned about the swelling early in the recovery and right about where you are now. I tried to watch what I ate although I didn't have much of an appetite and I still don't. I drank a lot of water early in recovery although I just celebrated three months yesterday and I need to up my intake. I bought one of the elevating cushions used in PT which helped keep my leg from falling off the stack of pillows. I think sometimes it's just time, but I tried these ideas too. My best to you.


GNee
TKR JUNE 15, 2015
 
Thanks everyone I realise I have been too ambitious, carried away by stories told about how quickly people were back to normal.
We have all heard of these folks who have miraculously recovered in a few weeks. I have never met one, though.

To me, these folks who recover in a matter of a couple of weeks are like the Yeti, Bigfoot, or the Abominable Snowman. They have reported to exist, but nobody has really ever seen one.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
How foolish am I! Managed to pull a muscle in my thigh yesterday. Had to go to solicitor about house sale. Nowhere to park close by so hubby dropped and picked me up outside office.Trouble was it is on a one way street so had to get in and out on road side.Getting back in was conscious of traffic so didn't open door wide and getting in felt muscle go.was painful, leg now stiffened up a bit and have physio appointment in the morning!
 
I'm 3 weeks post op PKR. The exercises aren't comfortable but are necessary. Some days are worse than others. I always try to get my exercises in but also try to get proper rest. Don't compare. If it hurts too bad try again tomorrow.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Do you have handicap placards in the UK, annaval? They are no cost here and it just requires a doctor's note.
 
Physio was ok. She is really nice and doesn't expect miracles. Gave me advice on freeing up hamstring after muscle problem. She was happy to get my bend to 86 degrees.
Re handicap placard, we have a blue badge scheme here but doubt that would have helped. Thanks all
 
You are doing really well.
Thats a good bend, its very early days so you will still have aches and pains - for quite some time probably. Two steps forward and one step back seems very normal when you read the different threads here. Its better than staying still or going backwards.
Hope your pulled muscle is improving.
 
I would still recommend getting the placard as it will help more than you may realize. I have a permanent one given to me after arthroscopic surgery many years ago and I have put odd this TKR for. 8 years going through injections, PT, and then walker for six months before this surgery. It has been a lifesaver in bad weather.

GNee
June 15, 2015 LTKR
 
@GNee - its much harder to get a disabled parking placard in the UK - and if you have one it's reviewed regularly.
Joint replacement isn't seen as a valid reason to have a placard as your mobility is expected to improve. Tough over here!
 
@GNee - its much harder to get a disabled parking placard in the UK - and if you have one it's reviewed regularly.
Joint replacement isn't seen as a valid reason to have a placard as your mobility is expected to improve. Tough over here!
It's the same situation here in New Zealand.
I have a son who is an above-knee amputee. He isn't going to suddenly grow a leg again and yet he has to have his need for a disabled parking placard reviewed every two years.
 
:loll:Feeling good. All of sudden today feel so much better and more positive. Found myself going upstairs "normally" without thinking about it, walking much more normally and much less painful. Just hope it continues this way. Wanted to share this with the group, instead of a moan
 
It's good to hear that you are feeling so much better. :yes!: :flwrysmile::yay:
 
I have to say that this site with its wealth of information, the posts from people supporting each other have been so helpful. Its good to know that others are traveling the same journey


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom