Guest viewing is limited

PKR Need HELP with Long Term & Short Term Disabiity Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol @my baby. I would just as soon strangle myself first. :gaah: :rotfl: My HR rep also JUST discovered that the date on the work restriction form she used to place me back on leave was only dated out till 12/23 because that's the day I was scheduled to return for my follow-up appointment. I couldn't believe that she or (NO OME ELSE) didn't see that on December 13 and she got the form, or on January 7th when she use the form to reinstate my leave... NOPE she just discovered it 34 days later on January 16th! :hissy:
 
Thanks Bayfoxnw, clearly we work of two different companies. :rotfl: Mine acts as though they ARE playing me welfare, and they might as well be as they have decreased my Short term Pay when they placed me back on leave to $18.50 a day. :yikes: Yeah, that's not a typo. Apparently, they''re sponsoring a child. :loll:I laugh to keep from crying. I have been through the wringer with this whole ordeal. I hope that long term disability goes a whole lot smoother than short term, or I'll be on leave for having a Mid-life Crisis/Mental Breakdown, with a side of Menopause! :hairpulling:
 
How can they arbitrarily reduce the payments? Isn't there a policy or contract in place....something in writing that details what the benefits are?
 
So sorry they are doing that. I know things will get better. I know I am lucky as far as disability is concerned. hang in there it will get sorted out.
 
Hello M.T.M @BionicWoman2
We missed you:) I agree with some of the posters who have said, to call the company
Directly ( disability comp ):iagree: Cut out the middle-man ( H.R ) I have never heard of a ( H.R )
Dept. Working against an employee:headbang: Such as your's has....I am so Sorry:console2: Not only are they
Not helping you, they are throwing so many stumbling blocks in your way:bicycle2:
( pregnancy, start dates, disability pay cuts....18.50 a day ) they are incompetent. You said there isn't
Even any paper work on your case.
I am glad you have started applying for SSI, like me you sound like you don't put into Social Security
( town, school workers )
I wish you the best, Hopefully someone on the forum can help you:angel:
Sincerely,
Diana:flwrysmile: Remember... "It's hard to keep a good woman down":ok:
 
Raqia, have you googled other websites that deal directly with employment/disability issues? You just might find that there are people there who have tons more knowledge than we on Bonesmart. You clearly need someone who knows their stuff. You mentioned you now have an attorney. I would have thought he/she was the best person to steer you through the minefield that is disability pay. I'm sure I speak for many when I say I'm sorry I don't know enough to be of any help. Carol
 
Sorry to hear you are going through a hard time with your work. You are doing the right thing by hiring a lawyer to handle your case. A school district with such a horrible HR should pay for their incompetence.

My prayers are with you and hope that all goes well. :friends:Please keep us updated.
 
Maybe you should go ahead with a lawyer. They will do all the paper trail work & help you apply
For what you are entitled to.:goodpost:Also, any wrong doing on the part of your (H.R ).you said there
Was no paper work from H.R. There has to be & a lawyer will get it.
:angel:For you.....stay strong:SUNsmile:
Diana:friends:
 
I'm glad you were able to consult a lawyer. I also like the idea of contacting the disability company. Sorry you're having to deal with this while you're trying to recover.
 
@Bionic woman2 ,
Sorry to hear what you are going through.
As another poster had said, SSDI is a federal program, and you should be eligible for SSDI benefits if you have worked throughout your life and if you have had SS payroll deductions. You can go to the SSA website and pull up a copy of your latest SSA statement. The SSA used to mail these out once a year, but now I think they have stopped that due to budget cutbacks. On the statement, it will show how much per month your benefit will be for SS (retirement) at various retirement ages, and for SSDI (SS Disability Income).
You should apply for SSDI. I have heard that there is a high rejection rate for first time applications. However, I have also heard that if you are rejected, and you take it to the first level of appeal, then the approval rate is much higher. You have a lawyer, so maybe they can help with the appeal, although I don't think it is necessary to have one for the first appeal, only the second appeal which would be in front of a judge.
https://www.ssa.gov/

And, yes, your LTD should kick in as soon as your STD ends. Whoever told you that you must wait 1 year for LTD is incorrect.

Good luck, and I hope that you can get this all worked out, and your recovery back on track.

Roger
 
Try dealing with the insurance folks directly, i found that they were way more helpful than my hr dept. Good plan on filing for ssi, does the lawyer you spoke to help with ssi rejections ... i wish this would all go away for you..
 
Thanks everybody. I don't officially have an attorney, I spoke with a long-term disability attorney and she gave me advice that I followed. She can only help me if they don't give me the long-term disability which now appears to be the case. Today I received an email from human resources dated "the 21st" stating that I am on leave without pay and I WILL receive my last check on December 31, 2014. Oh, and I need to pay my health insurance by "the 15th" or it will be terminated at the end of the month. It's almost comical at this point.

They sent my doctor a letter stating that " I" requested to be back on leave again on December 13, 2013' that was the day that they threw my hobbling butt out of the building when I handed them my doctors work restrictions. They Sent him form to fill out and had my name, but my SS# wrong! and someone else's name mentioned twice on this form instead of mine. Yes, incompetence at its finest. :hissy:

I met with my OS yesterday, though he understands that I'm in pain and believes me, cannot say that I can be out for five months from his examination findings. He said 3months instead.The whole thing is insane, all I needed was for them to switch 35 minutes of my day with another assignment and now I'm filling out SSI and long-term disability paperwork because they will not accommodate my work restriction. My doctors fearful that they going to fire me and I believe that they already have, they just choose to call it leave without pay.

I saw my GP today to complete my biometric Screening for the Health Insurance (I won't have at the end of the month.) Everything appears fine with my vitals, but that can't detect a mental breakdown. I finally gave in and asked for something to help me cope. I explained that I cry when I go to bed, I cry when I wake up and put on a happy face in between my daily meltdowns. Hopefully, the meds will help me get to sleep and take the edge off this anxiety during the until this mess is settled.

I do not know WHO is responsible for LTD I believe it goes straight through our company. Until I receive the packet that was promised me I really won't be able to tell. Based on what my OS said, I doubt that I'll qualify for SSI. I was just following what was printed in the county LTD policy. I don't see how they can opt out of SSI, and then expect them to cover THEIR employees. :skep: I CAN work, I just can't stop around during recovery on the concrete floors of a building that damaged my knees in the first place!

I have a phone consultation with an employment attorney tomorrow, I already sent him a basic snapshot of my saga. I now have additional email officially placing me a leave without pay, dated 1/21/14 but effective 12/31/13, even though my doctor hasn't turned in the LTD paperwork (I requested)!because they sent him a form with the wrong name entwined in it. Lol :rotfl: :gaah:Insane much! I think I have a good strong case, I do know what it will yield, but it's the principle of the thing. I gave them everything I had, and now they want a refund of the $18.50 a day they "sponsored" me with. I'm almost sure that the next email will request a refund.... COME AND GET IT! :gaah::rotfl::loll:"Laughter is good for the souk, just like medicine." :angel:


I'll keep you posted. :flwrysmile:
 
Dear @BionicWoman2
I am so sorry about all this added stress in your life:console2:It doesn't seem fair. I don't know about
In GA. But here in MA. Both my husband & I don't pay into Social Security. He has a pension, a few years
Ago they made it mandatory for part timers ( to save the state money) to pay into a retirement account
Instead. We are both Town employees.
I would ask your attorney, if there are any charges that could be filed against your employer:headbang:
My Dear, for what they put you through, you should be compensated
:angel: For you,
Diana
 
Oh no...that is horrible!!! :sos: I hope the employment attorney can help. What a crock!!! (((HUGS))) :friends:
 
Well, I can understand why some manager there thought up the leave without pay. That way they don't have to pay your unemployment. Dirty dogs!!! It does sound like they are trying to make you quit....so the don't have to pay unemployment. Don't do it!!! Be tough!!! This whole deal has been a train wreck for you. A good attorney can really help you....especially if you can show that your job caused your knee problems in the first place - BONUS!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Bionic woman2....don't you just love HR in school districts! :hairpulling: I can't believe what they have put you through. You should have papers with info about start and stop dates for STD w/amount to be paid. Also should have info about start and stop dates for LTD w/amount to be paid. (You should have an option to increase these amounts every year if you receive a salary increase.) Have you had any contact with your state (GA??) education agency? They may/should have a legal department that can give you information on your situation. I had to use the one in my state and found it very helpful. Please don't let anything expire as it will be very difficult to reactivate. You shouldn't have to go through an attorney, SSI, OR repay any amount of money!! I understand your anxiety.........been there. Good luck and BIG HUGS! I will be watching for more info an how things are going....Katie
 
Thanks Katie830 for the information. My HR dept did none of the above. Actually, they did spoon feed me, my STD leave payment info a couple of months at a time, after they got their numerous Dr updates. I finally did get the LTD packet I requested in the mail, days after an email stating I was on leave without pay. Due to the manner in which I was treated, I do not think their legal department will have my best interest at hand. My Dr did turn in his paperwork for LTD, and I appears to support my claim. We will see how they handle it.

As far as not letting anything expire, I really don't have any other option... Unless of course I hit the Lottery, which would mean I had a buck to spare. :umm:I could rob a bank, but I don't own a ski mask, which is even more expensive.:shrug:

What I do have, is faith in God. I know that He opened that door for me to be a part of that school and love those children, so if it closes He is allowing it, and has another door ready for me to walk through once I am healed. And although it looks and feels like it, He will not leave me destitute in the meantime. :bow::beg::bow:
 
I am so sorry to hear that this is still not sorted. It beggers believe the total incompetence of all involved.
Have you not got a friend/colleague at school who would speak up for you? It sounds as if this has got completely out of hand as all you were requesting was not to carry out lunch duty and this nightmare has snowballed from there - gaining momentum by the looks of it. There must be some nice, level headed people at that school???????? who can see that this is just a dreadful mix-up?
Hope that your luck changes very, very soon. You just don't deserve this.
Hugs
Speedy2
:friends:
 
@Bionic woman2 Wow cant leave you for a few mths and your in a real mess. Im trying hard to catch up on all the threads, but not getting a lot of time on the computer, I think of you often, and how kind you were to me during my TKR. Will keep reading. Wishing you the best out come. XOXOXOXO
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom