THR Nap...

Hi @dapplega
Hope you're doing well...
Best wishes for a peaceful, relaxing weekend OR a wild crazy one if that's you're preference.
Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving too!
 
but other information seem to indicate that any type of infection that makes it into the bloodstream is a threat to the prosthesis. If it is in the bloodstream is it just bad luck if it finds the replaced hip?
Okay, let me try to explain it again.

When we have metal implants put into us, they are almost always covered with a kind of micro sludge called bio-film. There's no avoiding this. BF contains microscopic and very immature bacteria which are rather akin to a foetus as opposed to a year old baby. Left on their own, they can do nothing and certainly cannot mature much less multiply. But - and this is the big question - there is something in our make-up (physical or genetic, we don't yet know) that can stimulate them to start maturing. Once this happens, the PPI is almost inevitable - but note almost not inevitably.

Research right now is focused on what it is that stimulates the BF to wake from their biological 'sleep'. But it's certainly not any wound or scrape you might get. Nor is it connected with any other infections such as sore throats, chest infection, UTIs, abscesses or similar.

You mentioned 1-2% infection rate but that's including ordinary wound infections as well as PPIs. And considering there are something in the order of 12-15 million hip and knee replacements done in 2016 in the US and UK alone! 1-2% of that is rather small!
 
Hi @dapplega
So what do you think about this explanation?
Interesting and Informative.
Look how far they've come with all over the past 50 yrs!
I can only imagine the progress they'll make over the next 50.
One day they'll be talking about this era as "Back in the day, when they used to....."
 
Thought I would write a quick update... I'm 4.5 months post op. For the most part I am fully recovered. The groin pain is gone. Since about 3.5 months I've been able to cross legs to put on socks and cut toenails. I returned to the gym around week six but have drastically changed my workouts. No more jogging, just doing bicycle, light weights, and added a lot of core (not really a lot but I wasn't doing any before...). I didn't realize how weak my core was or how much I was compensating for the bad hip... I did about 2 months of weekly PT from week six to the end of the year at my Docs recommendation. Flexibility is returning and I can touch my toes. Sleep is better but not great but I don't know if it is related to my hip... :) I was able to sleep on my operated side at the six week mark without pain.
All in all, from my perspective, the operation was successful and I'm pleased with progress. I almost have some days where I don't think about having a fake hip. When people ask me if I'm glad I did it my response is usually that only time will tell... If I stay like this and get 30+ years then yes. If it only lasts 10 years then I may feel differently... But as many of you have said to me, no point in worrying about what I can't control. :)
Thank you all for the support - hoping to give back a little of what I've gained from all of you to other newbies!
 
Nice update.....You're doing great!
You just motivated me to get off the couch to see if I could touch my toes.....Yahoo :happyfeet: Did it!

Look up the mineral supplement Magnesium Glycenate to aid in sleep and see what you think.

Thoughts of the new hip do seem to move away from the forefront of our mind with the passage of time.
There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of it, but I believe it will come. At least my parents maintain it does. My mom is going to get a second new hip soon at 81. She's not very happy but is too miserable not to. If we ever need revisions ....think of how things may progress over time. So....no worries!
As Scarlett O' Hara says, I can't think about that right now, If I do I'll go crazy.....I'll think about that tomorrow :wink:
 
Like @Layla I’ve just had to get up and see it I can touch my toes :heehee: I did it very slowly and gingerly but I did it yippe!!

It sounds like your recovery is going great it’s so good to be back doing things you enjoy. I must admit I don’t think about how long the new hip will last, I’m just so grateful to be free of the dreadful pain I was in and to be able to walk again. The consultant was very lucky i didn’t kiss him yesterday :flabber:

I’m sure you will reach the stage where you forget about having a replacement hip. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
@Layla About 3 weeks ago I started taking an iron and magnesium tablets in the evening. It seems to have helped with night time muscle aches. Not sure what the difference is between Magnesium and Magnesium Glycenate. I was surprised when I checked my daily multi vitamin and found it was either lacking or very low in both Iron and Magnesium...
 
Hi @dapplega
This is what I read:
The amino acid glycine aids magnesiums bioavailability, making the mineral easier to absorb
within the bloodstream. I've also read some of the other forms can have a laxative effect. In addition,
Magnesium Glycinate is supposedly the best form to use to relieve anxiety and aid in relaxation.

Information I've read online states it can aid with sleep (falling asleep, staying asleep) supports cardiovascular health, supports muscle relaxation and nerves (leg cramps) also supports healthy blood sugar. I probably should read up more on the other forms....there are several. A nutritionist I touch base with on ocassion recommended the form I've used. I simply trusted her because she's yet to steer me wrong. We all need to do our own research I guess due to our individual needs.

Hope you're doing well. You're coming up on 5 months already, time flies. Wishing you a great weekend!
 
Hey @Jaycey when I tried to open that article above on Magnesium....that link won't let me?
I get that Oops, something went wrong message....
 
Oops....posts crossed
 
Doesn’t open for me. In fact, many of them don’t in posts. I just go to the library.
 
The URL isn't copying for you for some reason @Jaycey
 
Hi @dapplega
It is an interesting article indeed.
Hey....Happy Six Month Anniversary! Just noticed it's 6 mo today.
How are you feeling about your half year old hip and your recovery this far?
We'd love to hear.....
 
Celebrex or Voltarin (Diclofenac) - Curious in others experience of which works best. I've had both and am thinking the Voltarin was more effective but also is harder on the body...
 
@dapplega you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

Regarding your medication - If it were me I would not take Diclofenac. Far too many side effects. But the best person to discuss this with is your family doctor or surgeon.
 
Happy FIVE year anniversary...a few hours late. :egypdance:
Five years, unbelievable isn't it?
Hope all is well and you have a lovely Autumn.
@dapplega
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom