Guest viewing is limited

THR Nap...

Funny :heehee:
I'm not a napper. Always been envious of those who say they took a nap!
I guess I must get adequate sleep at night but sometimes on a gloomy winter day
I wish I could take a nap :sleep:
Hope your recovery is still going well and wishing you a great weekend!
@dapplega
 
Loved your Nap mail @dapplega Just reminded me of how clever and grown up I felt when able to put socks and shoes on all by myself. Looking forward to getting that feeling again soon I hope.
 
Hi @dapplega
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
@dapplega I'm glad your muscle spasms have subsided. I got them in my hamstring after my first surgery, but not after the second.

Did your surgeon tell you they would see you in 3-5 years for the other hip like mine did?

Personally, that was a lot easier to get my head around than the fact that I will be a great-grandfather early next year...
 
Hi @dougie0216 - yes, when he looked at my initial x-rays the OS said he wouldn't be surprised if my left hip started hurting after they fixed the right... He did do an MRI on my left to gauge potential solutions prior to needing a THR. I assume we may talk about that at my 6 week follow-up (I'll be bringing it up anyways along with other questions about what I can/can't do activity wise)...
Otherwise my recovery is coming along pretty well - walking about 3 miles total each day. I'm not driving yet because it is my right leg and it is difficult for me to get in/out of the truck. That part is frustrating along with just taking it slow and not yet knowing what the future holds... :)
Congrats on the upcoming great grandchild - wow! I'm not in a rush for my oldest to get married (21) but am looking forward to being a granddad when the time is right...
Best to you on your journey!
 
Hi @dapplega
I had my right hip done too and didn't know how I was going to get into my vehicle.
I ended up getting in the same way I did for a few months pre-op and it's easy peasy!
I saw a guy doing it one day while I was out running errands with my ailing hip and figured I'd try it.
I don't feel very ladylike doing it BUT it works so I no longer care.

Here goes ~ with my right hand I grab onto the interior grab handle that is mounted on the ceiling above my window.
With my left hand I grab onto the windshield frame
I then step up onto the running board with my left leg first (non surgical leg) then step up with my right so I'm basically standing on the running board. Then I just carefully lower myself after kind of swinging in. Using upper body strength. I jokingly refer to it as my Tarzan Maneuver! I do stress a bit if the running board is wet but because I'm holding onto something with each hand I feel more secure.
If it's icy or snowing out I may feel differently.
Try it and see if it works for you....
Hope you have a great weekend and maybe even a car ride!

PS I was told I could drive at 3 weeks but waited a few days longer. You should be good if you're off the heavy meds.
 
@Layla - thanks for the tip and the laugh. Do you let out a Tarzan yell too cause that I'd like to see! :) I'll try your suggestion this weekend and see how it works. I've been off the oxy for llittle over a week now. Only occassionally taking acetaminophen. I've sat in my wife's care a couple times but seems I get close to violating 90 degree rule.. I'm assuming the truck will be better.
Best wishes for the weekend for you too!
D
 
Yes! And beat on my chest! Haha!
@dapplega

I know all surgeons are different but upon discharge I asked if I had to adhere to the 90 degree rule and was told I didn't. They said to move with caution, allowing my body to signal if I was pushing it. I did somewhat adhere to the 90 degree rule on my own because I'm a cautionary type.
 
Hi @dapplega
Noticing you've passed one month post op.
I'll bet you're feeling pretty good....I hope you're adjusting well.
I recall walking into to Whole Foods early one morning around my one month anniversary. I was without a walking aid and felt so good! It was amazing to be moving about without pain and a pronounced limp.
I don't normally enjoy grocery shopping but it felt so liberating to leisurely shop without hurrying through the store to quickly find relief back in my car.

It's funny how you count the weeks, post op. I still do!
There's progress from week to week which I'm sure you're still noticing.
Have you put the petal to the metal yet? You have to be itching to by now, lol!

Attractive bunch, that family of yours.....
Best wishes for a great weekend!
 
Hi @Layla - yes, the 12th marked one month for me.
Doing good physically. No cane for about a week now (even then I was mostly just carrying it...). I'm walking a little over 3 miles a day total. Successfully used your trick for entering the truck - :). I've been working full time from home for about the last 2 weeks and will probably go back part time this coming week. Mentally, I still catch myself going to that "dark place" you mentioned and going down rabbit holes of internet searches about implant longevity, etc. - but I am trying to get better... :). I'm looking forward to my six week checkup with OS and hoping to hear all restrictions removed. Looking forward to being able to sleep how I want... Thanks for checking on me - I do appreciate it. Best to you - enjoy the rest of the weekend!
 
Hi there, @dapplega
Hope you're having a good week!
Congrats on losing the cane and walking 3 miles per day. That is awesome!
I'm happy the hint on entering the truck works for you. At 4 months out I still need
to get in this way. I need a vehicle that is smaller. I want to be able to back up
to the seat, sit and swivel around into position. I feel like a "guy" while getting into my SUV.
I tried lifting my leg getting in as I once did, I was able BUT it was extremely uncomfortable. Enough to
where I don't feel like attempting it again.

Going back to work will help in keeping the negative thoughts at bay. Sharing the same thoughts.....I get it!
If it's any consolation, the busier and more mobile you become, the less you think on the "what ifs". I just take on a Scarlett O' Hara type attitude about the whole thing. Simplistic but it works. Not sure if you've ever watched the old classic Gone With The Wind but Vivien Leigh's character, Scarlett would often say in a moment of crisis "I can't think about that right now, if I do I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow." I turn it off that way, busying myself with something. Might sound lame but it works for me.

I'm thinking your 6 week post op may be next week? Rough calculation...Post the good news if you feel so inclined. I'd love to hear.
Until next time....wishing you peaceful, healing days!
 
Thanks @Layla!
Yep, 6 week appt. next Wednesday... Preparing my list of questions prior.
Will provide an update when done. I've seen Gone With The Wind multiple times. I think I had a crush on Scarlet O'Hara when I was younger... :)
Appreciate you checking in on me!
 
Think you are doing super. Sometimes I "go there" on the what ifs...but bad hip pain and something had to be done reassures me that I made the right decision.
Beautiful family, by the way.
 
Hi @dapplega
Good Luck tomorrow!
I know you'll do great at your 6 week post op appt.
Share afterward, if you feel like it.....love hearing good news.
Wishing you a good evening!
 
Hello @Layla @Mojo333 - always appreciate your thoughts.
6 week checkup complete. Reviewed my left hip MRI and decided no action currently required (good range of motion, some arthritis but no pain, FAI present - which apparently is what killed my right hip). If left hip gets worse we may consider the FAI surgery dependent on how/if arthritis progressed...
Regarding my right hip, no restrictions. Can sleep how I want, stretch, workout, etc. but start slowly... :)
I asked him how long he thinks my hip will last if I'm active and he said 60-80% chance it would last 40 years or even longer. Truth is however, the data just isn't available yet...
I hope I can someday reach a point where my hip (dislocation, loosening, infection) isn't always forefront in my thoughts. I'm only 6+ weeks so assume that will come with time.
So, a good report. I recognize my blessings compared to some who continue to suffer or ran into unanticipated complications. My heart goes out to them as this process is hard enough without any issues...
Hope the coming weekends bring you both peace and good times!
 
@dapplega Glad you are getting good report. Truth be known, we all worry what might be. I've had what I, and my OS and others, consider a pretty amazing recovery. But would be lying when I get a twinge, or catch my stupid flip flop and almost face plant on the floor, even at 6 months out...can't help with oh no, is this all? What will be?
All we can do is be mindful...and appreciate, and live our lives with the knowledge that we are changed, but hopefully for the better.
You just make sure you give that hip all the time it needs.
:) :-) (:
 
Hello there @dapplega
Great news! Sounds like you had a positive checkup. That always brings a good feeling.

I'm the same, some arthritis in my left hip but decent range of motion and not really any pain. Although I do get a little shock once in awhile if I move the wrong way. I'm sure a replacement for my left hip is somewhere in my future but I'm in no hurry!

All any one of us can do is hope our joint replacement lasts our lifetime. Likely ours will given our age. I do realize you are younger than me, which I'm sure causes more concern. If something negative does occur, It will need to be dealt with. There's no other option. The complications you mentioned still cross my mind also. I try not to entertain those thoughts for long. I tell myself that the chance of any of these things happening is no more likely than a car accident, serious illness, plane crash etc. I do believe with time there will be less stressing over it all. This is still relatively new to us and once a year passes I'll bet we don't give it much thought. We're still healing physically and I think there is a strong emotional component for most in all of this. It's an adjustment. It's a reminder of aging and lost youth. However, we can strive to engage in life and be the best we can be.
After all..we are currently as young as we will ever be!

You are wise in recognizing your blessings. There are many sad stories relayed here. I try to be mindful of that daily and show thankfulness in supporting others because I do feel blessed.

Best wishes for a peaceful and relaxing weekend!
 
Last edited:
@Josephine Question... I've read the thread from Josephine on post infection many times but still don't fully understand it...
Infection: peri-prosthetic infection - also known as late onset infection:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...tion-also-known-as-late-onset-infection.4868/

I understand the debate about taking antibiotics before dental visits but what isn't clear from the post is what, if anything, a person can do to put the odds in their favor to avoid infection. Is any infection that I get from hereon out a threat to my hip or only certain types? @Josephine quote: "The first thing you need to do is stop thinking of this as a 'normal' or regular kind of infection because it's not." makes it sound like these aren't typical infections but other information seem to indicate that any type of infection that makes it into the bloodstream is a threat to the prosthesis. If it is in the bloodstream is it just bad luck if it finds the replaced hip?
I have antibiotics for pre-dental visits from surgeon but I guess I wonder why I wouldn't use them anytime I injure myself in a way that may end up with an infection? Is it just down to random bad luck for the unlucky 1-2% where infection occurs? I know the odds are unlikely but I do want to fully understand the facts and do what I can to ensure I stay on the right side... Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Great questions @dapplega
Curious to hear Jo's answer. Just like so many topics discussed in the forum I've read varying opinions
on the need for antibiotics before dental visits. My dentist maintains only for two years post op and possibly not even necessary...I think it wise to do everything one can to have a healthy strong immune system. Since 70% of our immune system lies within the intestinal tract... # 1 for me is to take a good Pro Biotic.
Looking forward to Jo's take....
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom