THR Mydogs Hippy Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
@southernlass YOU CAN DO THIS......I was there where you are now and had all the same feelings...I have my life back..and you will too...Just take a deep breath and keep a positive attidude. That helped me so much. Read my recovery in the link below. I wish you the best of luck and keep you in my thoughts. BoneSmart has been the best thing that helped me through my whole surgery. I will be 1 year in April 30th :).......Keeping great thoughts for you..... :)
 
Southern - yes, you Can do this! I was more frightened of the surgery, but in truth, it is the recovery where I have to take the active role towards a healthy recovery. Staying positive will help you tremendously. There may be snafus along the way, but with the right attitude and the support of your fellow bonesmarties...the odds are with you!
 
@southernlass Not long to go. I think the waiting is the hardest bit and the hardest bit will be over for you in a few days. I thought i was a rare and unique person to be so, so petrified BUT surprisingly I had lots of fellow petrified people on Bonesmart. It is an awesome process and we all come back to tell the tale. Good luck and lots of positive vibes to you x
 
Hi Bonesmarties - quick question. I am back in my own home as of yesterday! Yeah - so good to be back. Question I had is that I am transitioning from a recliner where I slept for the past two weeks to my bed. I can easily move my leg on the bed, but had a lot of trouble sleeping last night....it was much easier to sleep on my back in the recliner. Any tips for positioning...pillows? Can I sleep on my non-operated side - which is how I normally sleep, and if so, do I need to rest my operated leg on a pillow on top of the non-operated leg? Suggestions would be appreciated....
 
Hi Bonesmarties - well, it is a bit over 3 weeks for me. I'm doing well, but wish I could walk a bit faster. I've been working up to 15 minute walks 3 times a day. Still on the cane outside but not inside the apartment. Am suppose to be back at work in 3 weeks so nervous about my commute - a bus and subway into NYC during rush hour is not for the fainthearted! If I have to ask them to work remotely for an extra 2 weeks then I will.

Quick question - yesterday the top of my incision began to look a bit red and there seems to be some kind of clear thread sticking out of it. I find it hard to imagine that I would get an infection in the incision 3 weeks post op....should I be concerned? I don't have a fever or anything, and leg isn't swollen...just a tad red on the top of the incision...
 
Did you sort your side sleeping out yet? There is a video article in the forum showing how to move in bed, starting off lying on your back, make sure all of the length of your legs are separated by pillow between them lengthways and then rolling over on to your non-op side, all very controlled. I'm not sure if this link will work, but here goes: broken link removed: https://www.hss.edu/30213.htm
I was relieved to see that (still pre-op) as I can't imagine being able to sleep at all on my back... how has your sleeping been going?

Don't know about your wound, but I'm really impressed with the walking out three times a day. Maybe it seems slow to you now, but I find it amazing.
 
@mydog If It was me, I would call your OS....Takes nothing to make a phone call..You want to make sure. I know in all my readings on BS I saw a post of someone that had the exact same thing.regarding the stitch...maybe do a search. Good luck with returning to work. Remember it is best to go slow and let your hip heal..less set backs.....
 
STITCHES

I had both tiny black stitches, like filament and a larger Knot come out. The knot looked as if was thread from a tennis racket. I had a reaction to the internal stitches that should have desolved. i got an infection in the wound at three weeks but it cleared up in about 8 days using antibiotics. I found the knot coming out very alarming but intact no problems followed.

it is midnight and need to go to bed, so tired .... but if you find "copshams recovery thread" you will see my pictures. A word of advice take photo's my OS did not believe me at first - second appt he could not argue with the photo's!
Let me know if you have any questions with this as this is just a quick response.

Copsham x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
STITCHES

I have attached the pictures and this is what I wrote at the time:

"Now I am in week five. Every thing has been going reasonably well physically , slowly and surely (and a roller coaster emotionally). My surgical wound healed straight forwardly except for a red lump at each end of the wound from week 2 - the size of a little finger nail. I have been watching these red lumps trying to check if they are getting infected but didn't seem to be. Three days ago a nurse looked at the wound and said that it did not seem infected and surmised that these red lumps were excessive scar tissue. She advised that I should oil and massage the wound which I have done (but it did not feel right)

Last night the red lumps looked a little bit bit redder and angrier, seemed like a reaction to Bio oil which stung when I put it on. I took antihistamine and put antihistamine cream on the wound. By this morning it was a lot calmer.
This afternoon a white coloured liquid came out, a tiny bit out of each red lump at each end. At first I thought this was pus and then thought maybe one of my allergies/sensitivities to what ever is at each end of the wound. (sutures??) I have made an appt to see GP on Monday"


I was prescribed antibiotics. A day later a little black filament came out, Surgeon said it must have been something from the dressing (!). The infection almost had disappeared by seven days. Lots of little filaments came out - took photos as proof! Then the knot came out - took photo.

In the end the stitches and knot coming out, while psychologically unsettling to me, did me no harm. I do wonder if my scar will be worse but will have to wait and see.

BTW I could believe the difference in size between your scar and mine!!

Photos can be see on "Copsham Recovery Thread" page 5. All the best. x



 
Great Aunt Janet - yes, I saw that video and that is how I have been sleeping...on my side with a pillow between the legs, although I am not nearly as controlled in the video trying to get in that position.

Sue and Cop - yes copsham - actually read your thread regarding the stitches. I ended up calling the surgeon's office yesterday and the physician's assistant described the area of redness perfectly. Said it was very common and it is from a small piece of thread at the end of the incision that they will cut when I come in for my 5 week appointment. I have been taking pictures of it to see if it changes at all, but apparently it is not something I should worry about.

Now - this was interesting news. I haven't had any pt since my first two weeks when the pt came to my sisters house. When I asked the surgeons office if I should be doing....they said no - they don't want me doing anything but walks and then starting pt after 6-8 weeks post op. I hadn't felt like I was progressing during the past few days, and in fact, yesterday it felt more difficult to walk (I am still on cane outside). But I think I am going through a big healing phase because I slept 10 hours last night and today my walking seems to have improved! So, I am just going to stick with my 10 or 15 minute walks 3 times a day (as I have to walk the dog anyway) and just keep resting....yikes, the dust bunnies are really piling up though!

Happy healing everyone!
 
Hi All You Bonesmarties! I am 5 weeks today! Yeah! I "think" things are going well...but, of course they will never go as fast as I would like....sigh...:) I am meeting my OS next week for my follow up and to find out how I should proceed. I do have some questions that I hope some more experienced folks can answer.

1. From wk 4 and on I seem to be sleeping more often and get tired. Is this typical at this time in the process? I don't think I am doing any more than usual. Per my OS instructions...I don't do any PT and won't until I go to him for a follow up. I had anterior method and his instructions were to slowly walk more each day but not to excess. So I walk my pup 2x a day for 10-15 minutes and then have worked my way up to 30 minutes in addition to that (this has only been since wk 3). I do some light vacuuming, a clothes wash once/twice a week, very light meal preparation, take care/feed/litter change of a cat...but I am sleeping 10 hours a night...and will take naps during the day totaling 3-5 hours!

2. I don't use my cane all the time in the house, but I do use it outside. At what point is it typical to not use my cane? Do I wait until it becomes natural and I forget? I am not in any pain at this point and only will sometimes take a tylenal pm at night to help me sleep. I still feel like I am "walking" slowly and with alot of concentration....does this end at some point and will future pt help with that?

3. My manager is starting to "pressure" me about being back at work...rather inappropriately. I thought I would be able to be back to work at 6 weeks...but I have a very vigorous commute...there is really no way I can get around not going down 40 plus subway stairs twice a day, with a cane, during NYC rush hour (and these people are crazy). And my commute is 2-3 hours a day. Personally, I have no problem working from home, and feel it would be very doable....has anyone had any experience "pushing" back against the pressure to come back to work in "person". Really...I can do my job telecommuting and the head of my department does exactly that....but I am having a hard time thinking about the conflict/confront my request will cause. On the other hand...I really didn't come this far to have my recovery compromised by an accident commuting or a 13 hour day causing a set back. I personally don't think a 6 week leave plus a 2 week telecommuting back to work is too much to ask for....

As always, your support has been invaluable. I am really looking forward to meeting with my OS and getting in to some serious PT. I would love to do some muscle building and get back on my bike....but he is the expert, so I am trusting him with the process....

xo to all of you....
 
Hi @mydog. Have you come to a solution regarding your work, yet? Yes, indeed, there is a whole lot of pressure at work these days. Fortunately, I don't have such a rough communte to work as you do. I can drive to work. It takes between 45 and 60 minutes depending on traffic. Actually, I go to work on my bike from time to time, and would like to go back to that in future. The route is shorter than by car - 27 kms one way - and partly goes through parks and a nice forest. I really enjoy long-distance biking (not so much racing). When did your doc say you can ride your bike again (a real bike not a stationary one)?

Thanks also for the lovely wishes you posted on one of my threads. You are so kind. I'm trying to keep fit pre-op and I'll work until Friday. The weather is almost summery here, and that's encouraging. This afternoon, I'll have my last swim before I go to hospital. They will send me to a rehab centre for 3 weeks immediately after my hospital stay, where I will have all the physio and gait training (I call it cat walk training) to get me out of the habit of limping and waddling. It's in Wiesbaden like the hospital. This kind of rehab is normal in Germany. I've heard it also has a big swimming-pool but not sure whether they let people swim there so shortly after the op - but maybe some physiotherapy in the water/aquajogging. Even though there's no place like home, I thought I would choose to do this inhouse rehab, it's tempting to do too much housework at home. Hope I'll get around to reporting more after the op.
 
@Constanze - Hi! I think that it is wonderful that you get 3 weeks of rehab! Funny that you are calling it cat walk training! I am still limping, but only slightly....have been working from home, and should go back to my commute week after next. I've been practicing going down stairs a lot, so feel confident I will be ready.

Am looking forward to hearing about your hip journey! You are almost there! BTW - my OS actually emigrated from Germany to NY, although I believe he still does surgeries in Germany every so often...
 
Hi Mydog. You are so fortunate that you are getting all that sleep. It is totally normal to need it; healing puts a lot of energy demands on the body. So many hippies have a terrible time sleeping for several months after surgery, so you are way ahead of the game. This is a very good thing. Don't fight it. Sleep is your friend.

Keep taking the cane with you when you walk outdoors. As you start to go a little further afield, you may find that you don't use it for much of the walk, but you start to tire out toward the end. That's how you know you still need it. There will come a day that you have it, don't use it, and do conveniently forget the next time you go out. I do guarantee that if you don't have it with you, and you overdo and need it, you'll know. Common sense rules.

And work. Frankly 6 weeks is early to return. Aside from your nightmarish logistics of getting to and from, the simple fact is that your energy levels will be seriously tapped out by getting through a work day, even if it's just sitting at a desk. If you can stall till 8 weeks, so much the better. Those subway steps...if you have to go down 40 steps, aren't you going to have to come back up at some point? Stairs put a whole different kind of strain on your soft tissue. To the extent your doctor will back you up, so much the better. Good luck with this.

Sharon
 
Hi @mydog, very inspiring to hear all your recovery tales up to this 5 week point - especially the bit about sleeping lots (I wanna get to that bit!), although your journey that you will have to make to get back to work is horrendous - that will take some doing whenever you decide to start doing it again I think.

Good luck with negotiating with your boss on delaying as much as you can. I bet someone on the forum can come up with some great ideas for tactics to help!

I'm pretty lucky in that I live in a teeny town (no traffic lights even) on flat land and my work is four blocks away, and reading your commute makes me thank heaven for my situation. And I can always bribe my boss with coffee.

Erm, that is not very helpful. Sorry. Hang on: personal jet pack, that's what you need.:puppysmooze:
 
Hi @mydog. Yes indeed, we are taught to walk elegantly, aren't we, no clumsy walking, no waddling - hence the description "catwalk".
Do you know what part of Germany your surgeon comes from and were he performs/performed surgery? Previously, I consulted a surgeon in Heidelberg but he let me. Down. Now I'm having surgery in Wiesbaden at a hospital which specializes in orthopaedics. While Wiesbaden my not be so well known outside Europe - it's the capital of Hesse, a German federal state. But Frankfurt is well known and that's about 50 kms from Wiesbaden. My small town, Flörsheim is half-way between Wiesbaden and Frankfurt, and Langen, where I work is just south of Frankfurt. My work is at the edge of a forest - ideal for a jog in the lunch hour which I used to do with colleagues but stopped in November when the arthritis pain got too bad. There is also a beautiful swimming lake in that forest where the swim of Frankfurt Ironman starts every summer in July.

I hope you will be fine going back to work and won't get too exhausted. All the best - Constanze
 
Hi there @mydog - I thought you might like to get a snapshot of where you are in the process of healing.

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and the medically acknowledged approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know
 
Hi - sorry if it is wrong to start a new thread, but I can't find my old one since I last posted quite a while back. My recovery was pretty fantastic (at least in my eyes :) But for the past week I have been having strange pain in my up-operated leg. I doesn't feel anything like the pain I had in the hip that was replaced three months ago. It is in my groin and then radiates down to curve around the bottom portion of my knee. It's fairly intense....enough to get me to limp. It feels like muscle pain. When I put my operated leg forward, and stretch the effected leg backwards, I can feel the pain in my groin. The stretching helps somewhat...but sometimes it doesn't help at all. I'm wondering what is going on here? I haven't really done much pt - because my surgeon doesn't think it is necessary. He did give me a referral though, if I want to do some. Any ideas here? I am wondering if the amount of stairs I have to climb up and down daily for my commute is somehow aggravating my recovery. I started back commuting to work 2 months after surgery (I was working remotely) and it is now a week or so 3 months after. Has anyone had anything similar?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom