THR Mydogs Hippy Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teensy- yes, super glad for insurance. Had a copay of 500 and hoping that will be it.

Resident just checked incision and said it looked great. Leaving hospital around lunch time. Yesterday the swelling went up significantly - as did my need for meds. I am on 2 Norco every 4 hours. Slight setback yesterday as they had me on stool softeners and laxatives - which I don't think I
I needed first few days - reason being is my doctor used a different protocol with me - didn't have pca with the morphine - only Norco. Had major cramps resulting in unpleasant bathroom situation. Uggh. But at least not constipated!

So happy to be leaving! Can't wait to get to my sister's to relax and see my little dog. I guess I will learn what my plans are for physical therapy today. It's all good!
 
Recovery is so much easier at home. You will be amazed at how your body wants to heal.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Got to sister's last night. Have great set up in spare bedroom with motorized recliner next to bed. Big sis slept in bed and I was able to get myself to bathroom easily. Hospital called last night to let me know that nurse would be out here today or tomorrow. There is tons of snow still on the ground here. Incision a bit painful and swelling ongoing so am icing a lot. Taking temp regularly. For day 3 post operating am happy with how things are going - am smiling like a fool because the pain is gone! Woke up this am to little dog on my lap licking my face off - lol
 
what kind of little dog? we have a schipperke name Jack. He is sure happy all is back to normal in his kingdom.
He really is my husband's dog but he "tolerates" me nicely.
 
BELLA!!!!!! Mommy is home !
Little Bella must be a happy doggy now, mommy is home and she's not in all that pain anymore.

Welcome home Sheila. Sounds like you have a awesome big sister.

I recorded episode 12 of the Walking Dead last and we will watch it after dinner tonight. That show is getting crazier and crazier every week. Really don't know what to expect on a show that anything goes.

I can't believe I'm going sometimes 8 hours before I realize I've had no pain meds. My body is surprising me.

Anyway follow your doctors orders AND you BoneSmart members advise and you will be fine

Jeff


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My first 24 hrs with no Tylenol today. Smile.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good job beach gal, keep it going.
I can't wait until I get to that point.

When we need them, we need them,
But if we can manage without them, that's a good thing.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Beach - wow! Amazing to think that you don't need ANYthing for pain!

Diterese - Bella is a 7lb Maltese poodle who thinks she is a Great Dane. She and my sister's dog (who has 80lbs on her) are best buds. Since Bella has so much attitude, my sis dyed (washable) the hair on her head pink and green before I got home from the hospital - almost fell off my walker!

Had pts for first time today. She is great and doesn't push - goes by bs mantras. But is apparent my quad muscles in operating leg are extremely weak - they really atrophied. Going to have to really work on them.

Had my first shower yesterday - heavenly!
 
wow - I can't believe it's 7 days post op. I see now why people describe the recovery process as a roller coaster - perfect description. When I left the hospital I wasn't too uncomfortable - I had some swelling (significant if compared to unoperated leg) but around day 4-5 my entire leg and foot blew up grotesquely....and I was icing quite a bit. My os office said to put the compression socks on and elevate every time I was sitting or lying down. My incision area was also painful so was told to not do certain exercises. Today, finally after icing and elevating for almost 15 plus hours a day for the past few days I can actually calf muscles and knee!
I had been taking Norco and found when I took the full dose at night I would wake with a headache. Dr said I can try switching to Tylenol during day and Tylenol pm for bed. So far the Tylenol has been fine with keeping pain away.

Had a couple of weepy moments - both of which occupied as I wondered if I was going to be able to take care of myself and pets once I got back to my own home. Had to remind myself that I was doing more each day and that I can always adjust my plans slightly if need be.

Haven't had any issues on the "ahem" bathroom front. Have been taking 2 stool softeners right from the beginning along with lots of fluids. That seemed to have done the trick.

I've been using a cane for the past few days although sometimes at night when I am tired I will go back to the walker to be on the safe side. My pts is awesome - never asked her if she knows about this site but she certainly goes by the mantras! She won't let me do any exercise if it hurts and she actually reduced the visits to 2 times a week from 3! She says I will have plenty of time for exercises in the coming weeks and the best things to do right now are rest/sleep with elevation and gradually increase my walking.

So - I am feeling very good. Yes - the recovery has been challenging in some aspects, but there always seems to be a solution to help you get through it. And spring is just around the corner! I can't wait to be able to walk outside and smell that delicious spring air!
 
Your thread makes me smile. Keep up the good work and a good dose of patience. You've got this!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello new hippy @mydog - your positive approach shows through in your post - good for you :)

In addition to the articles you have been provided with already, you may like to browse these.

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and approximate timeframes for the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutrional-snippets
 
Thanks Poppet - yes I read the nutrition articles and am a big believer of nutrition and healing. My appetite is just starting to come back....so looking forward to help my healing along..
 
Quick question - bit of a setback - have been using a cane for the past few days, although still use walker at night when I am tired. Started having pain in non operated leg - in my knee, quads and hamstring. It's enough to make it difficult to walk. Immediately went back to walker spent most of the day off my feet and icing. Is this normal? I can't understand that I would be favoring that leg (to cause this pain) any more than I did prior to surgery. Any ideas? Thanks for any help....
 
@mydog Welcome to the otherside..I just caught up with all your posts and it seems you have been doing so well. My advice to you is just go slow...have patience....and let yourself heal. Time heals all. I have read how so many people feel so good and push themselves and then take a step back. Do a little bit at a time and don't over do it..(easier said than done i know)....I Had to wear those compression stocking for 6 weeks. They are a pain but helpful. I found that when i was laying in bed to roll a towel and place under foot to raise it up a bit off bed. It seemed to take some pressure off the leg. Not sure on the pain your experiencing on the non operated leg, but maybe others will chime in. Keep up the good work...Ice is your best friend as well as all the people here in BoneSmart Land :) haha. I will check back see how you are doing. I tell people to this day im so grateful for having the surgery and that i wished i had it 6 years ago. Gave me my life back......All my best..Sue
 
Hi Sue- I love your pic - you look so relaxed and happy! Yes, I do have to remind myself to take it easy....which is so hard for me. I also have to remind myself that even though I get the odd pains and discomfort that comes with literally re-teaching my muscles/body the correct way to walk...it is not my pre-op pain and it will eventually diminish. Every day is a new one!
 
I can't understand that I would be favoring that leg (to cause this pain) any more than I did prior to surgery.
You are walking and carrying your weight totally different now. It may not seem that is the case - but post op your gait can be a bit "off". You did the right thing - back to the walker, ice, elevate. Let those muscles and that soft tissue settle down and try again. Recovery is all about finding your limits, scaling back and trying again. You'll get there!
 
@mydog thanks :) that was takin in July I was 10 weeks out...and travelled to Tx to see my sister...Although I was on a cane...I had no issues...I agree....One step at a time :)
 
Saturday I will leave my sister's and go back to my own home. This week I have seen big improvements. I walk with a cane but at times will get up and forget it..first time that happened got a little shock - in a good way :). I can dress myself without any help, including putting sock and shoe on my operated side and can lift my leg on the bed without using my hands. Once I'm back home I'm looking to get on a walking regimen per the b.s. article I read. I am still taking 2 extra strength Tylenol during the day and 2 Tylenol pm at night and my pain level hasn't gone above a 1-2. My swelling has almost all gone - still a tad around my ankle and a bit around thigh. All in all my recovery has exceeded my expectations and I am so happy that I had this done. When I think that I may be back to hiking with my friends (and dog) in the near future I get positively giddy! Many txt to bs for the support and education!
 
@mydog Great update :spin::dancy: Sounds like you are doing so well with your recovery..It's nice to take just tylenol and it will do the trick ;). Well done...continued success...remember one step at a time...:flwrysmile:
 
My surgery is this coming Monday. Your story gives me confidence that I can do this! The warmer weather certainly helps engender a positive attitude! We hit 48 degrees F today and were well below zero last week. Spring fever is abundant. Glad to hear that your PT is doable and reasonable too.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom