Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Summer Vacation

Not a whole lot besides just around the house. I've walked on my block maybe 5 houses down and back on 3 occasions. But today I feel a little stronger and I want to go to a near by park this evening. They have lots of benches so I can rest when I need to. Hopefully it won't rain.
 
That's about my speed, too. Tonight I walked for 5 minutes (that turned out to be almost to the end of the block) and then 5 minutes back. Ignored the impulse to just walk the half block that did me in a few days ago. Also cut short the chatty next door neighbor - needed to get off my feet and ice !
 
Today marks 3 weeks post-op. Something I've come to realize about recovery is that even though I knew what to expect, it didn't necessarily prepare me about how it was going to make me feel. In the early days, I couldn't stand the foggy headedness I had. That then turned into just feeling icky. Feeling like that made me miserable. My visiting nurse told me it was probably the pain meds doing that and to take the anti-nausa pills. She was right! Energy drain also surprises me, even though I knew to expect that too.
Also, I discovered my height difference when wearing slipper socks versus street shoes was enough to need to change the height of the walker. I felt hunched over on the walker when I first went outside for a walk.
It's also nice when you realize the little improvements, like when I lifted up my foot, bending at the knee to reach my sock and pull it up, or not needing the leg lifter to get into bed. Now, I'm leaving my cane around the house because I walk away without it. Every day is better than the day before.
 
Yep, it is a strange and wonderful journey we are on. My elder daughter Saïd the other day: next years we're gonna ask ourselves - what did we do last summer - oh yeah Mom's knees !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
What a great report! Yes, it's those little successes that mean so much and remind us that better days, and knees, lie ahead.
 
"Everyday is better than the day before" is so true! The pain is a different pain than the arthritis pain and it will eventually go away.
 
Celebrating all of your successes is key. I am glad you have so many to celebrate.
 
Oh, and the medical equipment rental company came today and picked up the CPM machine. I'm glad I'm done with that!
 
Sounds great! I seem to be having alternating up and down days but so far the new up is better than the last up. Did you understand that ? I reread the sentence a few times and resisted the urge to edit it. I'll have you know that I am not on any narcotics in the daytime, just Tylenol so it must be residual brain fog
 
Each little improvement is a big Yahoo! Only someone who has been there understands that!
 
@nensi, yes I did understand that and totally agree!

I feel very fortunate the my recovery is going well, but it's not without some pains and discomfort. My quadriceps muscles are beginning to cramp at night making me feel restless. Why do they have to act up at night? I want my sleep!
 
Back
Top Bottom