Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Summer Vacation

You need to take enough to stay ahead of the pain. But this early it's a good idea to wake someone when you get up in the middle of the night, just until you are steady.
 
Since the fainting spell I had, I am no longer taking the Dilaudid. The Norco is enough for me. I've had 3 in home PT sessions so far and they are going well; no pain caused by it. I've walked short distances in the house with the walker on what I like to call the catwalk. It's really just an open hallway with laminate wood flooring. Lol.
The visiting nurse came today and changed my dressing. It was the first time I saw the incision. It's still hard to wrap my head around that there is now an artificial joint in there.
I'm staying with my parents for now because they are retired and can be there for me, and their house has wider bedroom and bathroom doors which makes getting around with the walker easier. I do miss being home with my boyfriend but he visits or calls often.
I spend most of my day in the nest I've made in the guest bedroom. I have my laptop, tablet, smart phone, and an adult coloring book for entertainment. Thank goodness for Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, kindle books and of course, the Bonesmart forum.
 
It sounds as though you are doing remarkably well, other than the scary fainting spell; yikes! I'm really glad to hear you weren't injured, have changed your meds and are staying with your parents for awhile. Whatever you're doing, keep on doing it, 'cuz it's working!:egypdance:
 
It also good to hear I gas are going better and no more fainting spells.
 
Yeah, the trick to passing the time is enough variation, I also have a short attention span. I have the messiest tray table in the hospital - juggling my laptop, cell, knitting, kindle and assorted drinks not to mention my lenses and reading glasses, sleeping mask, headphone .... Well you get the message, right?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Today is 9 days post-op and I'm doing well. Yesterday, I tried to cut back on the Norco and that was a mistake. I tried to go 6 hours between doses instead of my usual 4. My pain in the evening was very uncomfortable and stuck around for almost an hour after finally taking a dose. Pain also woke me up throughout the night. Today, I went back to my regular schedule and I felt much better and did better with PT.

The visiting nurse says my incision looks good and the swelling is well managed. She said I don't need to keep the incision covered, but I can't stomach looking at the line of staples. :sick:

TKR recovery has been anything but idle. The CPM machine, PT, and icing take up a good portion of the day. Too bad I don't get paid for it. :heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The time to cut back is when you start forgetting a dose. For me that was around week 3-4, but of course, everyone is different.
 
That sounds good @ThatOneGirl ! Back a couple of days here at Day 7 I also find the day flying by, also because even the simple ADLs take much longer. So far I have not done any hobbying once home - naps are priority #1 !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I couldn't look at the incision where the stitches were either...even 3 days after they were taken out, and I was allowed to leave it uncovered. DH went out to get me a long bandages meant exactly for long incisions. I changed it every second day. I still use them now when I go out and wear long pants.
 
Your recovery sounds good! The staples are ugly, aren't they?! But, boy does it feel better when they are out!
 
I was really pleased with my PT today. My strength and ROM is up and pain is down. I was able to get to 98° flexion and 5° extension on my own. That deserved a nap when I finished.
 
Today marks 15 days post-op. Yesterday was my last in home PT. I measured 103 flexion and 5 extension all on my own! My swelling has been minimal which is good since with prior surgeries, I had lots of swelling. I guess all the rest, ice, elevating paid off!

I saw my OS today for my 2 week check up and got the staples out, yeah! :yahoo: The doctor said I was doing great, the incision and swelling looked good. He was impressed with my assessment from the in home PT. My secret is doing it the Bone Smartie way! :heehee:

I've stopped using the walker and now just use my cane and that makes me feel good. But if I know I'll be out for a longer outing, I will take the walker as to not push my limit. Sometimes I don't know where my limit is until I'm there, but I've been going easy for this recovery.
 
What a wonderful report. You're doing amazing, so keep on taking it easy. :loveshwr:
 
What a good report! It always feels good when our doctors are happy!
 
Super report! Now don't get overconfident... :bicycle1: :rotfl:
 
Great report ! I am one of the (un)lucky ones with lousy ROM flexion but thankful that all the other stuff is going well. Mostly walking with my crutches, only nightime bathroom runs with the walker. I'm curious, how long are you walking each day ?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom