Guest viewing is limited

My story - not sure where I stand these days

Hi @Jamie , I saw Dr. Ursone, and have previously talked to Dr. Matthew Morrey - he did my grandmother's bilateral and I had a co-worker who just finished a bilateral (a couple years apart) who also went to him. They didn't exactly rave about how well things went, but they didn't have any problems either that I'm aware of. My grandmother has since passed on, so I can't ask her anymore. Anyway, it's a significant pro of him that I know real people who have had good outcomes. But as I said, if there is someone who comes highly recommended, I at least want to talk to them as well.

Thanks much for looking at this for me!
 
I think Dr. Ursone would be an excellent choice. He has also done successful joint replacements for a couple of people I know well. He was the one I was going to look up for you and I’m adding him to my list of recommended surgeons for the San Antonio area. I do have several other names if you want them. But, frankly, based on these “real world” testimonials, I would say go with him, if you are comfortable with him.
 
Thank you @Jamie, it's good to hear that. I will say that Dr. Ursone and his team were very encouraging. I would still be interested in other recommendations in San Antonio, and am curious if Dr. Morrey is on that list. I also have a few more people I need to meet up with and ask for recommendations (it's a funny thing but you tend to learn about everyone who has a hip replacement when you bring it up). I'm not in a rush at this point, although I do think I need to get this going by the end of the year so I can get on with things. Ideally I can also wrap up a major project or two at work before taking leave.
 
@DanW It is commendable that you don’t want to leave your co-workers in the lurch but there is a point you have to put that aside for your own health. Like you said, a co-worker had to do it. As I pushed working longer as the pain got worse, I’m pretty sure I wasn’t at my best most days. The sooner you get settled on a surgeon that you’re comfortable with and get a date set, the sooner I think you’ll be feeling much better about the whole thing. Keep in mind that sometimes the wait time for a date could be farther out than you might anticipate, especially towards the end of the year. Hip deterioration can be unpredictable and you don’t want to put it off too long if you’re feeling it’s time. Best wishes as you move forward.
 
@DanW …..I have to apologize as I thought I had some surgeons listed for the immediate San Antonio area. But I discovered they are all a bit farther away….up towards Austin. Here is that list. I hope it is of some help to you. If you find other surgeons not on these lists that you would like me to take a look at, please post their names. I took a look at Dr. Morley and he sounds like a good option for you as well.

Austin, Texas
Dr. Jacob Manuel
(TKR, THR and revisions)
3000 N Interstate 35 Frontage Rd, Suite 500
Austin, TX 78705
737-202-2500

Dr. Tyler D. Goldberg
(TKR, THR and revisions)
11675 Jollyville Road, Suite 207
Austin, TX 78759
(512) 856 1000

Dr. Benjamin McArthur
(Specializes in younger patients; TKR, THR and revisions)
911 West 38th Street, Suite 300
Austin, Texas 78705
512-485-0533

Killeen, Texas
Dr. Raj Sinha (one of our BoneSmart supporting surgeons that I know very well)
Advent Health Medical Group
2301 S. Clear Creek Road, Suite 204
Killeen, TX 76549
Phone: 254-519-3338
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you again @Jamie - I'd say Austin is within range. If Dr McArthur specializes in younger patients, then I'd like to at least talk to him.
 
I think that’s a good idea. I also would highly recommend Dr. Sinha. I’ve known him for years and he is a great surgeon to work with. If you see Dr. Sinha, be sure and tell him you’re a BoneSmartie. I don’t get any kickback from that ( :rotfl: ), but since we work with him on a regular basis, he loves to know when BoneSmart is helping someone.
 
So I went to see Dr. McArthur earlier this week. He actually seems a bit more "old school" in that he's reluctant to do hip replacements on younger people. He also told me that while I have Perthes deformaties (and that these make replacement more challenging), I also still have good cartilage space. He prescribed Meloxicam (which I've never taken) and PT, and may move onto injections as a next step, so I see these as my next steps.

I know that this is a bit against the grain of opinions on this site, but I also see it as a vindication that my situation is not as straightforward as it could be. As an example, a couple weekends ago I went to a local natural area that features a very steep trail with a climb of 500 feet over perhaps half a mile. As a challenge, I went about as fast as I could and easily beat the other members of my group (who were fairly seasoned hikers). I was a bit stiff the next day, but not in what I'd call bad pain. And then I read some of the testimonials here from people who have trouble getting around or putting on socks and it's clear that I don't have it so bad. The problem of course is when the pain comes on, and there are situations that can cause me a lot of pain, but obviously I try to avoid those as much as possible.

I don't think that anyone is trying to mislead me or sell me on anything that they don't really believe is good for me, it's just a tough situation, but I'll continue to manage it as I can.
 
You're not having pain that interferes with your preferred life, and not walking around on an unstable joint, so it makes sense to take a slower approach while considering all options.

Our ethos here is to help members have the information and support they need to make their own decisions, based on their needs and priorities, and then to provide support as our members proceed on their chosen paths.

So I hope you'll continue to keep us updated on your progress!
 
Hello @DanW,
just been reading your story- I had Perthes disease also (aged 8), multiple surgeries as a child, culminating in a THR age 19. Yep, 19!
I am now 45. That hip has lasted nearly 26 years, way beyond our expectations (it was custom made as my bones were awkward shaped due to osteotomies, posterior & uncemented ceramic-plastic composite). I am now on the route to revision surgery (osteolysis behind the acetabular component). But my goodness it was the best option for me at the time, and given me so much (3 children, & I have been active (swimming, cycling, some hiking- now gym (weights, but not deadlifts/deep squats) & swimming mostly as it's more painful/stiff now). I have chronic pain but deal with this in a range of ways without prescription meds, so have learnt to live with this- before I had my THR I needed prescription painkillers and had lost so much mobility I needed crutches all the time (& didn't have enough range of movement to cycle- it was a very stiff hip).
It sounds like you may be a little way off your pain & stiffness affecting your life so much that a THR is the best (& only) solution. But I would say, in my opinion, you need to be able to keep your strength & fitness up to ensure when the time comes for surgery you can make a good recovery- and finding how best to manage your pain (ideally holistically, not just via meds- rest, gentle movements, mindfulness, getting out in nature, finding nice distractions, talking to friends) is vital to your quality of life while on the gradual route to THR.
Thinking of you.
 
Back
Top Bottom