New England Librarian
Insider
I am one day past my right TKR, and 11 years past my left TKR. I am very happy to have had the same wonderful surgeon, but so many other things have changed in those 11 years!
I had to get care team permission (for various medical reasons) to stay over one night (a “23 hour” stay), while 11 years ago I was an inpatient for 3 nights. I had spinal anesthesia instead of general, but also something to make me sleep. I have been told that the incision is much smaller than before, the muscles were pulled aside instead of cut, and the nerve block covers a smaller area.
Most promising is that I tried the new non-opiate pain medication Journavx, and it seems to be working! I can take it with the opiate if needed, but need a smaller opiate dose. I am optimistic that this will remain true as the nerve block continues wear off. Fingers crossed!
I had to get care team permission (for various medical reasons) to stay over one night (a “23 hour” stay), while 11 years ago I was an inpatient for 3 nights. I had spinal anesthesia instead of general, but also something to make me sleep. I have been told that the incision is much smaller than before, the muscles were pulled aside instead of cut, and the nerve block covers a smaller area.
Most promising is that I tried the new non-opiate pain medication Journavx, and it seems to be working! I can take it with the opiate if needed, but need a smaller opiate dose. I am optimistic that this will remain true as the nerve block continues wear off. Fingers crossed!
United States