Revised PKR to TKR My Revision Journey<

@JennyLynne Guess I need to proof read! Hahaha! Actually I think this site auto corrects the word I actually wanted to use!
 
My pt has taped me with the bright blue tape for the past two weeks. That's a good idea to measure to see if there is a difference because I can't tell if it's helping or not.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Not sure how accurately I will be able to see of this tape works or not. Don't know if I got a false sense of security putting it on or if it was the good report I got from my doctor yesterday, but today I was up and about all day long. I just found lots of things to do that I hadn't been doing since my surgery.

This is something I don't normally do. I usually have an icing session at least once or twice during the day.

Maybe putting that on made me feel like I was Wonder Woman or something :rotfl:

In any case, I'm icing now and will see what tonight and tomorrow brings.

:ice:
 
Hey, if the tape makes you feel like Wonder Woman, more power to you and go for it! Conquer! But, gently!
 
13 weeks today. I find I'm able to some little things I couldn't do before. I can walk up the stairs leg over leg with little discomfort but still need to hang onto the railings and coming down is still more difficult, but I try it most days.

I still have stiffness and swelling but seem to be able to work through it more now without aggravating it. I do still ice and elevate every evening and most days once or twice in the afternoon as well.

The top part of my knee and incision area is still sore and tender to the touch. My whole knee area is also still somewhat sore. I massage it often. My swelling is mainly in the area directly above my knee into my thigh.

I still struggle with my hamstrings and have to constantly stretch them out. I am doing a lot more walking now and use no aids and make a conscious effort to walk heel to toe without limping. My husband said he can tell when I'm not paying attention or I'm tired because I walk somewhat peg-leg like and don't bend my knee as much. I'm working on that!

I'm always stiff when I first get up from sitting for awhile and have to work out the first couple of steps before I can get going.

I ride my stationary bike every morning for 10 minutes to begin the day and it feels good to get everything moving. I have no pain while riding but do notice a slight "click" when making my rotations. Whether that goes away remains to be seen. I sometimes ride it again in the afternoon if I haven't been out and about too much.

I'm sleeping quite well and my knee doesn't wake me up all the time to be moved to a new position.

I can go out to the store and walk though the aisles using the cart. I take it slow and steady and give myself plenty of time. No rushing for me right now!

I can tell I have a long way to go with strengthening my leg muscles. They tire very easily and then I sit down and rest.

So - now, onward to week 14 :thumb:
 
You are still in the energy drain period, so it's not just your knee that the cause of the tiredness. For three months out you are doing wonderfully!
 
Your doing great and your approach and sensibility make me ur entering the getting better by the week phase. I have been amazed at the differences between three months out and six. It is a remarkable journey we have gone on!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Lucky 13! [emoji256]
Great report!! Especially all the good sleep. Without that, the rest is so much harder!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This is a great report! I'd say it's Lucky 13 weeks for you! I know you still have some pesky issues, but on the whole, given you've only just finished the first trimester of recovery, I think you're rocking this recovery! You are doing the stairs! Huge kudos! Here's to a swell-free evening, :cheers: !
 
Well I learned today that I am not anywhere near ready to return to my flying career yet. My husband and I went to Costco. By the time we got done slowly walking all around, checked out and headed to the the car my knee was very tight and hard to bend it to get up into my Grand Cherokee. I had driven over but decided to let my husband drive home.

The good news is, it didn't hurt at all while I was walking around and I didn't feel the real tightness until towards the very end. It was a good test to see how she would do.

I was happy to be able to walk with no pain and just tightness.

I'm now home icing and elevating her for the rest of the evening :ice:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You are doing the right thing. Doing all that walking without pain is wonderful! If all it takes is a little icing, then that's makes it worthwhile!
 
Glad to hear you are getting out and around with little pain. Another reminder that this is a journey and not a quick recovery. Enjoy the rest tonight.
 
@flyaway79, going to a large Costco is certainly a walking/endurance test, even without TKR. It sounds as though you did really well despite having some tightness toward the end. When are you planning on returning to work?
 
@Pheebs52 Yes Costco is a challenge even on good days for sure! My last trip was around the 5 week mark with my sister and I used an electric cart and the trip still exhausted me. I slept for two hours after I got home. It was a good feeling to be able to walk it this time.

I'm shooting for September to return to work. That would be just around the 6 month mark. It's a job that I have to be released with no restrictions to return. I'm going to be testing it out a lot between now and then. My 15 hour flights are going to be the ultimate test and I want to be up to it! [emoji574]️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom