THR My recovery thread.

I went to my arthritis doctor appointment recently.She said i will most likely only have a partial recovery.Most people are back to normal in 2 to 3 months.I am in the lower 10 percent of recovery (or something like that).I have had the same thought myself.It's ok if I never get anywhere near 90 to 95 percent.I didn't expect it to be as good as it has been truth be told.If riding a bike is not meant to be ,well so what ?I haven't been able to in at least 23 years so nothing will be any different.Also thankfully I have had no complications-some unlucky people do.It's rather disappointing though.A partial miracle is still good.Considering how bad off i was a partial recovery is good.
 
Most people are back to normal in 2 to 3 months.

allena, I hope she didn't tell you this because it's simply untrue. Most all OS's maintain it takes a full year for a complete recovery. Some say even longer...up to two and even two and a half years for some people I've heard. You mentioned you didn't expect it to be as good as it's been and it can get better. If you're unable to ride a bike again, I'm sure you can find a new safe activity to engage in that fulfills you. Something to start thinking about.

You've triumphed through your pre-op worries / concerns and surpassed what you estimated your post op accomplishments would be. Now is not the time to lose hope. There's still healing to happen and goals to reach. Don't sell yourself short. I have faith you'll continue to see progress for months to come.
Have a wonderful weekend!
@allena
 
@Layla .She did not actually say that.I got that from the folder i was given and knowing other people who have had this surgery done and in 2 or 3 months they are walking around normally,riding a bike,etc.The folder said after 3 months I should not need a cane ,be able to walk 1-3 miles,walk up stairs normally etc.
I didn't realize healing could take 2 and half years.I would not be surprised if that is not how long it takes me-just so long as I heal!
I am not sure if I can ride a bike because I have not tried to .I haven't had the opportunity to and in any case I still have some weakness in my right leg and my balance is still a work in progress(though it is within 90 percent of normal I guessing).I will try it one day .I would be happy just to be close to normal for my age-that would be awesome.
I can clean my litter box out just using a scooper now-I don't need the stick attached to it now.:)
 
Most all OS's maintain it takes a full year for a complete recovery. Some say even longer...up to two and even two and a half years for some people I've heard. You mentioned you didn't expect it to be as good as it's been and it can get better.
Like you, I could do lots of things I couldn't do prior to surgery, but I agree with Layla that things can keep improving well over a year.
You were limited with that failing hip for years and getting it stronger in a slow steady way is very important.
I'm guessing you will keep seeing improvement!
Hope your weekend is wonderful!
 
Last edited:
@Mojo333.I think so too.One thing I did get right.I figured my recovery would take longer than that folder said it should.I hope you have a good weekend too.:)
 
Hope the weather is cooling some your way and you can get out and get lots of fresh air.
It has been so stifling hot this summer in Georgia.
Today only low 80s instead of the high 90s, so I plan on getting some "outside"
Have a great day. Allena:kitty:
 
It was a hot and mostly dry summer here .Yes,it is finally cooling off abit though it's still warmer than normal.Thank goodness the humidity is gone!That really helps make it more comfortable.I hope you have a good day too.
 
Glad to hear it my hippy friend.
Do you feel like you get out more than you used to and can walk and sleep better?
I had almost become a hermit after work as I was so totalled trying to make it til the end of the day, I was grumpy and hurting and not good company.
It cant wait until you celebrate your ONE YEAR hipversary.
On my one year, I went back to the beginning of my thread...and read it through.
What a Journey.:wow:
And boy did I have a lot of concerns and do a bit of whining:dubious:

You have overcome so much and should be very proud of yourself.
Have a Great Week, @allena
 
Yes,I do sleep better and walk more-even though it isn't very far.I can't judge.you know I had a lot of worries and whined too.I imagine most people worry a lot and do alot of whining.Worrying some is not irrational-things can go wrong.Also it is major surgery and it does take awhile to feel normal and good again.If I have my way I'll never have one again-though I doubt I will be that lucky.
I'm not sure what I'll do on my one year hipversary.I'll figure it out later on.
Thanks.I am .I got two good things from this-one)my hip is not a problem now,though it is still not as flexible as my other natural hip and two)I no longer fear death.When I was knocked out my brain was turned off.It wasn't bad at all.I wasn't there.also there was no time.Death is no big deal.I feel silly for ever fearing it.Yes,I know that some people believe in a afterlife ,but I don't.I have never seen any evidence of one and don't have faith.Please don't preach to me!I hate when people do that.:(
 
You're doing well, allena. I remember how apprehensive you were last year at this time. Most all of us were before our surgery. It's the uncertainty of it all that ramps up the pre-op anxiety. Fear of the unknown especially when it's your first major surgery. But look how well you're doing and how far you've come! Our prosthetic will never match our natural hip but it's miraculous how it takes away the pain and allows us to function again. I'll bet you agree. Not long now until your one year anniversary. Do something on your Anniversary that you were physically unable to do last year. It's a good way to celebrate.
Have a great week!
@allena
 
yes on all counts.That's a good idea.I hope you have a good week too.:)
 
It feels like fall now.The leaves are starting to turn.We had a our first frost on saturday.
I am still to doing well.In abit over three weeks it will be a year since the surgery.
 
Hi allena!
The leaves are turning here also. It's getting really pretty. I love Autumn, it's what comes after Fall that I don't like! :snow plough: All the cold and SNOW!!
It's good to read you're doing well and I can't believe it's going to be a year already. Remember how apprehensive you were? And now...I'm sure you're glad you did it and lost the pain.
Wishing you a nice evening and a great rest of the week!
@allena
 
Yes...one year!:wave:
Amazing... just beginning to cool here also.
We new hippys don't do Fall.:scaredycat:

We only do autumn.:)
 
I feel the same way.I hate the cold and the snow too.thankfully it doesn't get as cold here and snow as much here as it does where you live.3 months of winter is enough.
I am very glad to not be in pain,yes,I am glad I did it.I remember it quite well.To quote ginny12 my agnes was acting up in a big way.
My main concerns now are not getting hurt,a infection and of coarse wondering how long it will last before it wears out.I deserve at least 15 years sice that's how long the hip hurt.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom