Day six, and I am feeling as if I am at the foot of a very tall, very steep mountain, that I have no choice but to climb. However, yesterday I had a significant breakthrough - I discovered a vastly improved method of getting on and off the bed. Instead of trying to sidle on sideways, I go to the foot of the bed, lean back against it with my good leg and stretch my operated one out in front (so no bending at that hip) then I lean back until my bum huts the mattress, scoot back using my hands and right leg until I am lying flat, then do a kind of crab-walk back to the pillow.
This is such a fantastically graceful and efficient way to get into bed that I am surprised it hasn’t been adopted more widely. You never see people in the movies crab-walking across the mattress before they get down to a sex-scene. I wonder why that is?
Of course, it is a bit annoying if you go through all this and then realise that you have forgotten to turn back the sheets and are lying, exhausted by the effort, on top of all the bedding. But we live and learn.
I do really hope that when I get back to normal, I sometimes remember to take a moment to appreciate how good it feels to sit in a chair, or get into bed, or get dressed without it being an enormous, uncomfortable, palaver.