Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR My Recovery Journey

OP
OP
S

Sweetpea39

Country
United States United States
Hello all. Surgery yesterday went well. 1st time up was pretty tough but I did it!! Got some rest. Have been using the ice religiously like yall have said and it helping. I got a little behind the pain in the middle of the night when I fell asleep so it has taken till the second dose of meds to have some relief. Waiting on PT to come in so I can try and get out of bed. Again thanks for the well wishes and I'll post again after PT . :hugzz: :hugzz: :hugzz: virtual hugs to all

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome to the healing side, great to have you here! That first adventure getting up and moving is usually a major undertaking but it does get easier and better.

Happy you're finding the ice to be helpful, keep it handy for quite a while. Glad you got some sleep but sorry to hear it put you behind the pain. Hopefully all settles soon.

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
I remember asking for an additional ice packet, and at one point I was using three at once, to help manage post surgical pain.

Glad to see you on the healing side!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Sweetpea39 :welome:Welcome to Recovery!
Thanks for sharing an update. It seems you're off to a good start.
With any luck PT wasn't too rough on you and you're resting comfortably. I hope you have a peaceful evening and get some restorative sleep overnight. :sleep:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Glad to hear you are on The Healing Side.:yes!:
Hopefully it won't be long before they let you go home so you can truly get comfy and settle into a recovery groove.
Healing vibes coming your way.:friends:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi Sweetpea! I am so happy for you! Good luck on your little stroll this morning.. the nurses and PT are super in helping you figure out how to walk with that leg.. at least they were with me both times.
I hope this is true for you too!

OP
OP
S

Sweetpea39

Country
Hello all! So I'm 9days post op now. Came home last friday. The trip home wasnt too bad except for the 45min it took me to get to and from the rest room at the rest area. They had the entrance closest to handicap parking closed so I had to go halfway around the building I thought I was gonna die lol. Being home has been good except for pain control. I was under pain management prior to surgery. So they tried to add on the extended release medicine I was originally on well long story short insurance denied it a prior authorization was submitted still haven't heard anything. The medicine would cost 300.00 out of pocket so nope not paying that. Went to pain mgt on Wednesday holy moly what a chore. He prescribed a different extended realease medication plus an immediate acting but we still had to pay out of pocket for both which wasnt too bad. So now I've had 6 doses of the extended medication which is not working and the immediate is only to be taken every 8hrs which obviously is too long. So I called and left a message for him to call me today to see what we can do. It is so ridiculous that the people that actually need these narcotic pain medications have to jump through so many hoops. I'm so over it. But they need to get it figured out bc I will not be able to start PT with pain like this just from getting up and moving around and doing my few in bed exercises. Rant over lol. Thanks for listening!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
It is so ridiculous that the people that actually need these narcotic pain medications have to jump through so many hoops.
This is very sad. I’m sorry you’re struggling in an effort to be comfortable. It’s unfair. Please don’t worry about PT right now. It’s not necessary this early on. You can get enough exercise by simply walking...but not to excess. Save PT for 6-8 weeks down the road if you feel the need to work on something, such as gait etc.
I hope today is a good one, thanks for the update! :)

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi sweetpea.. I am so sorry to read about your issues with pain. It is a very sad state of affairs when ones who are in need are put through such an ordeal.
Please don't worry about taking PT at this point but you sure need enough relief so you are able to walk frequently.

I wonder, if you have a PCP with a good relationship with if you could contact them and get them to talk to the pain management people on your behalf?
I hope today is a better day for you.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
The pain pill problem is bad and every state has made different rules which make it tough for the patients that need them. It has cut down on the problems we were having in my area as far as the prescription drugs go.
Are you icing regularly? The ice was more of a relief for me than anything else. I wouldn't worry about or do any PT if you have pain, even the in bed exercises. I don't think there is anything to gain if you're in pain.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Have to agree with the others, don't worry about any PT right now and if you're not icing, start! Ice, ice baby! :ice::ice: A lot of us were icing anytime we weren't up moving around and it really helps. I thought everyone was crazy before I had my surgery but since surgery I am a convert!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well. Consider leaving an update next time you’re around...we’d love to hear about your progress.
Take care and stay well! :)
@Sweetpea39

OP
OP
S

Sweetpea39

Country
Hi all. It been a while since I've posted. I have just passed my one month post op. I had a telemedicine visit yesterday with my surgeon. I have been having some oozing (no odor or any other symptoms to think infection) from one area of my sx site since taking the bandage off at 7days and was put on antibiotics well it hasn't stopped so on another round of antibiotics and I have to go see my surgeon on Tuesday. He said I am probably going to have to go back under for an irrigation and debridement. Which of course stinks especially with the covid19 virus. On a happy not I have begun to use my cane but there is so much stiffness which I guess is normal? I may have over did yesterday bc I could just feel the swelling in my leg. Today going to take it easy and ice ice ice. Hope everyone is well!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Aww, I’m sorry to hear you may need additional surgery. Best to be safe though and hopefully you have great trust in your surgeon and feel encouraged with his plan moving forward. Please update us after your visit with him on Tuesday. We‘re here for you.

At only one month post op you will have some stiffness. Your idea of rest ice /elevation today is a wise choice. I hope it eases quickly. Wishing you comfort and a pleasant weekend.
Will look forward to hearing from you soon. :wave:
@Sweetpea39

OP
OP
S

Sweetpea39

Country
Happy Friday!! My appointment on Tuesday went awesome lol the drainage/oozing has stopped no need for any further surgery. I got my order to start PT I have my first appointment on Monday. Also on a happy note last day of home school spring break starts Monday it will be nice to have a break from that :yes!: :egypdance:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Sweetpea39
Happy Friday to you too! It’s wonderful to read that the drainage has stopped and your surgeon didn’t find the washout and debridement necessary.

I’m really surprised in this time of social distancing they have you scheduled for PT, which really isn’t necessary. Please for your own safety and that of those you engage with daily, reconsider PT for awhile longer....it can wait.
Be safe, stay well and have a pleasant weekend! :wave:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I am surprised also about the PT appointment. Maybe you are in an area of very low risk. If in doubt, just remember that our hips don't need a lot of exercise to heal.

So happy for you! So glad that your drainage has stopped, what a relief.
Please take care of yourself.

Have a good weekend.. be safe!

OP
OP
S

Sweetpea39

Country
@CricketHip @Layla happy Saturday. When PT called me she said they are scheduling so only 2 client at a time but I am thinking of postponing. I am in a low breakout area but just last night the governor issued a statement that they have found a cluster of outbreaks in my county and the adjoining so I think I'm just going to keep walking and doing the two exercises he suggested to strengthen the outter muscles. Now that it's so close to home I'm more scared than before. Have a good weekend!! Hope your having nice weather like I am! :SUNsmile:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Good idea, stay at home for now, why take a chance. PT can wait and will still be there once the coast is clear. Walk, walk, walk....but not to excess. It’s the best exercise for you now anyway. :walking: Stay safe!
@Sweetpea39

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Trish001
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom