Bilateral THR My post op journey has started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I made it and walked normally in for 6 week check and I have been discharge no need to go back unless there are any problems. Xray looked excellent all healing well no more restrictions just a gradual build up to normal activity. So no more 90 degree rule, and Im ok to drive again, it will take a while before i can put socks on or tie shoes but his advice was just slowly flex the hips a little more dont force the movement and it will come. Im ok to resume normal activities slowly so cross trainer and stationary bike ok, slowly build up then bike riding outside and scuba diving would be better from 3 months. I can expect the hips to carry on improvig over the next 2 years. Next milestone will be an x ray in 10 years time. It looks like I'm on target for heals by Christmas.
 
What a great report Puddle fish, that is exactly what we want to hear on that six week check... My, ten years! before another check.. That is fantastic.

I like the comment about 'it will keep on improving over the next 2 years' I personally have always worked to that timeframe. Most of my friends who have had the surgery have said the same thing.

I also like your surgeons comment about flexing the hip slowly, he is a smart OS and has given you a gift..

Yes right on track for a great Xmas for you - well done! :)
 
That sounds like a great report. I can't believe it has been 6 weeks already, although I'm sure you can. I just got the ok to start hydro therapy once the scabs from my staple removal heal. Reminded me of you, and your experience.

So glad you got a good report!
-nerdgrrl
 
Puddlefish

That is great news. I know you are also pleased to hit this milestone which is one of many stepping stones to your verry active life. Even though I didn't have bilats your progresion is an inspiration to keep moving towards that light at the end of the tunnel. It can only get beter from here! Congrats! :cheers:
 
What an amazing recovery, Puddle Fish! I am in awe of you folks who have both hips done at once.
:yay:
 
Puddlefish

Have you got some special diving trips planned ?
 
Channel Islands, Scilly Isles and the Maldives as well as Iceland are all on the plan list. At the moment as I was made redundant two weeks after my OP so Im out job hunting now, it just was not possible before hand so I decided one thing at a time I had said I would like a break before I starterd my next job I was thinking of a beach in Thailand.
My OS is at the end of the phone if I have any problems but he doesnt see the point of the additional risk associated with xrays just to confirm all is well.
Nerdgrrll hydro is great Ive now had five sessions without them I was struggling to do the excercises and the pool gave me something to enjoy. Although the PT is making me work now :yikes:.

It has not all been plain sailing and I used this forum to focus on the good bits so thanks to all of you that have shared and are sharing your own stories without you guys the night sweats, incontinance, pain, extreme tiredness, depression, loss of independence would have been very hard to deal with.

I did get a letter to show airport security that I have hip replacements but secretly I dont mind flashing my thighs to a good looking security guard (shame it has to be a woman).
 
Puddle Fish - in my experience TSA does not want to see the scars - alas all they do is a pat down :shocked: (politely and professionally in my case) - and I've heard (see thread in the social room about setting off alarms) that they are not very accepting of letters about joint replacements. But some airports have newer equipment that only scans for metal outside of your skin - :whistle: lol that for me picked up my hearing aids, buckles on my bra, and zipper on my slacks. Boy a beach in Thailand sounds wonderful! Too bad you have to be job hunting right now - such a thankless and stressful occupation at any time! I know what you mean about this marvelous site being helpful with all the big and small aspects of joint replacement! But the recuperation does get better and better as time goes on - there now are days when I don't ever think of having had hip replacements - until I come here of course :giggle:
 
:dancy::dancy::dancy: I can put socks on as if by magic I can sudenly bend enough to be able to put them on. :happydance::happydance:.
Thats my major acheivement for my 8 week post op.
 
Dammit, tomorrow I'll try without the sock aid! I know, this shouldn't turn into a competition, but you get set in your ways if there's no incentive to progress. Next is cutting my toenails.
 
Well, John, both are challenging to us hippies. I found putting on socks easier than cutting my toenails. I could get my socks on around 2 months, but took another month to be able to do toenail cutting---and then it was a bit of a struggle. Just keep trying and you will get it eventually.
 
Hi John

Socks without an aid is one of the last things you need to achieve. Sure its a nuisance having to use an aid. When I first tried to do this without the aid I found that I could doing it (just) but it hurt my lower back. I waited for another couple of weeks and I was pain free.

Good luck to you.

Mike
 
Isn't it like a bit of FREEDOM! Way to go!
before you know it, you will be tying your own shoes!
(i started yesterday after my 6 week follow up appt with my doc!)
 
like bottomshollow cutting toenails is a bit much for me. I can put shoes on and tie them just bring my foot onto a step still a struggle if i need to bend down. Socks as I no longer have to abide by the 90 degree rulle as long as I stand with my back toward the bed and bring the foot up to rest on the bed by bending the knee its ok. I cant sit on the bed with my feet on the floor and put them on and although I can cross my legs I feel that is just too much strain on the hips at the moment.

Im currently allowed to use the cross trainer and the staitionary bike. I also have some step up excercises to complete as well.
I now have a part time temp xmas job helping in a store and they have been great about my reduced mobility. To be honest Im just not fit enough to return to full time research yet. The energy drain and the emotional aspects of the operation were things I had never planned for. As for painkillers its occasional over the counter ibuprofen or paracetamol mainly just before physio. I can kneel and sit on the floor with my knees bent getting up is not a problem. Im still a little bit unstable bending down to pick up items off the floor but ok if I go to kneel. Still cant lie on either side to sleep or do the clam type physio exercise.


One Q for the girls bellow

Josephine is it normal to bit a bit numb still in the pelvic floor area? I know they had a hell of a time dislocating the left hip and everything got a bit wrenched about especially having them both done at the same time.
 
To be honest, I've never before heard of anyone having numbness in the perineal area.
 
I had numbness temporarily with my second hip scope but that was because they use a padded 'stop' between the legs so thwley can distract the hip. It went away after a couple weeks....
 
puddlefish, although not female, i haven't experienced any of that numbness,, at least not yet....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom