THR My new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI, it took about 90 days before my first hip felt quite "normal".
@Cynthia777 - thank you for sharing. I think I've been having that buttocks area pain you described you were previously having too. My pain and discomfort tends to be in that spot through the fanny cheek (don't know how else to delicately describe), and it occurs along the outside of the thigh. The sensation on the outside of the thigh at times feels like nerve pain, and tends to be set off from sitting. The pain in the fanny feels more bone or muscular related, and it feels tight/stiff/sore.

Even though my surgeon just told me this week that there's no such thing as "normal" for recovery, it is out of the usual for me to respond to odd body feelings with a cavalier shrug, and a "Meh - What ya gonna do?" attitude. I suppose I will just continue to note things without obsessing about it, as I've learned in recovery that feelings of all kinds do ebb and flow.

@MI Chickie - thanks for your kind thoughts. I hope outpatient PT works well for me too. The person administering the care can make such a difference. If there were a "Build Your PT Workshop" like the "Build a Bear" store you see in malls, I might construct a PT with the size and looks of wrestler turned actor Dwayne Johnson. Then mix in the humor and sensitivity of Alan Alda's doctor character Hawkeye (boy, my references are all over the place, aren't they?), and then add the wisdom and insight of the TV doctor who played the lead in the show House. (But without his sarcasm and drug problem). Now, THAT would be a combo. But, the PT who came to my house worked ok, and she was a woman, and maybe 110 pounds given her love of pretty, chunky jewelry.

I've been nervous about falling during my recovery as I've been known to be clumsy, probably caused in part because of the pre-surgery orthopedic issue. If my surgeon has said anything consistently it is "do not fall." I haven't, and I don't intend to, but the concern is always there.

One thing that brought me joy pre-surgery that I would like to resume at some point is what I loosely call "dancing." It's more a spectacle of rhythmic spasms, really, but I do what I can. I have one of those Wii game systems with some dance discs, and before surgery I enjoyed popping one of those in and feeling the cares of the day melt away. When you are trying to match the movements, get a good score, and shake your groove thing all at the same time there isn't much mental space left to think about the mortgage payment or the stack of laundry or other such concerns. If I couldn't do the moves just so - scratch that - because I could not pull off many of the super cool, coordinated routines, I would just do what I could, and you know what? I still had a blast. When I feel comfortable enough to try it again, I'll be back at it. I think recovery, and life really, is like that - doing what you can with what you have and enjoying it. On the inside, I'll still feel like I am totally ready to be cast in the touring production of Michael Jackson's greatest dance moves, even if in reality I'd be a better fit as the understudy of the to be developed Broadway hit, "President Andrew Jackson: Life After Too Many Horse Tumbles." :heehee:

For my stage of recovery journey, I'm not finished, but I'm not where I started. I suspect that wide category captures a lot of people. As I will try myself today, be patient about the long road ahead, but be thankful of how far you have already come.

Blessings, healing, comfort, peace and patience to you!
 
The butt pain occurred in two places, in the center of the buttocks (deep) and near near the the coccyx area (top, center). Your description sounds exactly what I was experiencing, although I didn't have pain on the outside of the thigh. I mentioned in another post that my OS prescribed Duexis (an anti-inflammatory with something that protects the stomach) and after taking it for a couple of days, the pain disappeared. I don't know if it was coincidental or if the Duexis got rid of it. I had to purchase it from an online pharmacy that my OS recommended, as the prescription costs between $350 to $550 for a one month supply and I got it for $10 (the pharmacy mailed it to me and I received it in three days). Whenever I've overdone it or I'm going to have a physically busy day, I pop one of them and any and all aches/pain disappear. I've had no side effects from the medication. Hope this helps @Sommers16. :)

PS...you always bring a smile to my face, if not a downright chuckle when I read your posts! :heehee:
 
@Sommers16 i agree about how easy it is to develop gait habits that you don't even realize. Even more so if you dealt with the pain for a long time prior to surgery. I know my gait is still off, more from my non-op hip that has OA pain (at least I like to think that is the cause), but it still feels SO much better than before. It gets hard to keep things in perspective. I have to remind myself several times a day where I was weeks and months ago.

BTW I LOVE the references above. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is dreamy (my wife thinks so too and even I Have to agree). Alan Alda's Hawkeyes Pierce was incredibly empathetic and loose and relaxed ( any patients dream in pressure situations)....And Dr. House (and his team) were brilliant, dedicated and persistent. I do think we need to add a little something for us guys...Maybe a pinch of Jane Seymour as Dr. Quinn, Medicine Women. Or a nurse like Dana Delaney in China Beach?

That said my in hospital PT was a female and she may have been 110lbs too. Her confidence, compitance and calm demeanor were a perfect fit for me. I appreciated the thoughtfulness and adaptability of the PT Assistant that I saw in home.
 
@gullimac I am having hip replacement on July 6 th. No need to tell you I am terrified. I live in Staten Island NY and have a surgeon with a good reputation. still the anxiety is awful, thoughts about what can go wrong even years later scare me. I have not found too many men on this forum so your thoughts mean a lot to me. I never had major surgery, but hope for spinal with sedation. My arthritis in the hip started about 4 years ago. I am still able to function but with discomfort. My OS uses the anterior approach and does over 200 a year. Still I hear about possible nerve damage and other complications. So you see I need some words of wisdom. Glad you are well.
Ken
 
@Sommers16
That Wii sounds like a ton of fun! I abhor exercising, but always loved dance and competitive sports. I'll have to check into it. "You put your right foot in, you take your right foot out...." :heehee:
 
@Royal1383 - I'm not a dude, but @gullimac is a great guy and has been such a helpful brother on this site. His hip replacement surgery was before mine and he is one of several people here who have helped me with my journey. If you haven't already, check his message to you and read his honest, heartfelt thread about life as a family man with pain, challenges and also triumph. Best of luck to you!
 
This week I was cleared to drive to my first outpatient physical therapy session. While Dwayne Johnson wasn't there waiting for me to do exercises, I had/have a very nice and seemingly competent PT.

In case the reference to Dwayne Johnson doesn't make any sense, he's an actor who is tall and strong. I, like many hippies, have fears of falling, and since I am nearly 6 feet tall myself, I've joked about in a previous post, but also somewhat longed for, someone physically capable of catching me should the need arise. Now that I am getting stronger and more secure on my feet, I'm not as nervous/needy in this regard, but I still try and be cautious. So see, my previous PT wish list post wasn't ALL superficial in nature. Ha Ha

It felt odd but good to drive again. Funny how quickly we adapt to changing circumstances. I'd been driving to work every day pre-surgery, as a normal routine, then had to stop for surgery and weeks of recovery. And once I was cleared to get behind the wheel again it felt freeing, and even a bit naughty somehow, to be out and about on my own. Woo Who!
:driver:

In my first session of outpatient physical therapy, there was a lot of paperwork and questions and we did some light exercises.

She applied the TENS unit that does nerve stimulation and I didn't care much for that. But I liked the ice pack portion.

We went over my history and what led me to THR, and when I explained it was a slipped epiphysis, a wrong movement of the "growth plate" at age 12, she said she often sees patients with this condition having problems at both ends of the bone, and in both legs. I'd never heard that before and felt/feel grateful I got the "lighter" version somehow. Things can always be worse!

She felt my hip area all around and says I have weakened, small fanny area muscles that need building up. I have work to do to not only build this area up some, but to correct for how I've been incorrectly walking and using these area muscles for so very long.

My insurance allotment of PT is about to run out, so I will make the most of what time I have to work on it. One thing that I felt was interesting is the PT suggested icing as much as I need, but not to use a heating pad. I haven't been using a heating pad anyway, but the PT says because I don't have a lot of "cushioning" fanny-speaking, the heating pad could heat the replacement. We didn't discuss if or why that could be an issue for the replacement, but if it's true, that sounds freaky to me. Has anyone else ever been told that?

I'm continuing to have discomfort along the outside thigh and through the fanny cheek. At times it feels like a tightness and a tenderness back there like I've been sitting on a rock. And now that I have confirmation of a less than well-muscled posterior, I guess it makes sense why it hurts sitting on it at times!

I never in a million years would have believed that I, being by nature a private person, would be discussing my fanny online. You gotta laugh. In fact, I made the silly joke that this is further proof that Kim Kardashian and I are not the same person, even though we've never been photographed together. :heehee:

Things continue to come along. If I can get my pain/discomfort reduced some more WHILE ALSO taking the reduced pain medication, plus be able to get comfortable sleeping and sleep the night through without waking up, these improvements would help recovery.

These and Dwayne. For therapeutic reasons, of course. :yes:

Hope you have a great day- will post more and catch up more as increasing demands of work schedule allows.

Hugs to all- :loveshwr:
 
Well done on finally getting cleared to drive! A major milestone reached and a new beginning!
PT says because I don't have a lot of "cushioning" fanny-speaking, the heating pad could heat the replacement.
If your PT was referring to heating the actual implant that's just daft. The implant is very deep with lots of muscle and soft tissue surrounding it. There is no way a heating pad could "heat the replacement".
 
@Jaycey - yes, that makes perfectly logical sense that it could not. And I'd rather think of it as being deeper and more protected. Since this was my first time meeting this person and I don't know her mannerisms yet, maybe she meant it as an exaggeration. When I go back I will ask her to clarify why exactly she is anti- heating pad. Thank you for weighing in.
 
It's so good to be able to drive again, isn't it?

I have been wondering, reading some of the posts people write about having a pain in the rear, if I'm just particularly well cushioned back there!
 
I know we have a place to post scars - our healing badges - but is there a place dedicated for pre and post surgical x-rays? I was just reading in a thread where @Josephine detected post-op issues in someone's x-ray. Makes the inner anxiety spike a bit.

I have no reason to believe I am not fine. I've resumed working from the office this week, and I appreciate the healing that has made that possible. What a miracle this THR business truly is! I have felt more tired from the increased activity and hullabaloo, but I think that's normal and to be expected.

Today I reflected on my THR journey and wanted to share a bit of what it has been like for me in case it helps or resonates with anyone else. And I also wanted to get the group's feedback for how I may continue progressing.

I'm at a stage now (8 weeks) where I have improvement, but am not done healing. I want to celebrate and utilize my new functioning while also remembering to be careful. I still need a cane to walk, so I have that as a reminder. I am finding it a challenge at times "moving on" with life because I am still not 100%. But now that I am driving and at the office working, I'm also not the "patient" I've been previously either.

The THR journey as we have said is a wild ride. You come to it because you simply can't continue with the pre-surgical problem any longer. There's pain and there's mobility limitations.

You decide to "bite the bullet" as the expression goes, and have the surgery. You've heard good things about it. You've prepared as much as you can.

The surgery itself, while so common and so successful these days, can still vary person to person. So you see how your experience goes, and soldier on.

Recovery brings its own pain and mobility limitations. Some surgical approaches confer more restrictions than others. The pain and discomfort (for me) is not like the pre-surgical pain. I had osteoarthritis with bone-on-bone misery before. No, the recovery pain feels different - soreness, tightness, tenderness, weakness, and heaviness of the leg. Then other sensations - calf pain that went away, then pain through the fanny and some nerve feeling pain that are persisting.

You go home from the hospital terrified of violating precautions (again, depending on the surgical method used). From being hyperaware of all the potential post-surgical complications to not feeling great anyway, you're cautious. I felt/sometimes still feel like I needed to treat my leg like fine porcelain.

Time passes. Your strength improves. You notice things are getting easier, such as getting in and out of the bed. Encouragement grows and it is easy to get frustrated because you like the signs of improvement and want more of them and quickly. But it takes time.

Doctor's appointments are passed with an approving nod. Physical therapy is usually involved, to different degrees. Things are starting to look and feel more "normal." One day you are cleared to drive, and the need to maintain vigilance on precautions is lifted. Activity increases. What relief and joy to have made it so far.

I know the answer is probably "time." But I wonder with others how you managed the transition to your post-surgery, new hip life. I am struggling with that a bit. PT says I am not consistently bending my knee when walking - that I keep it stiff and treat it as if I can't trust it. I underestimated the emotional component of this surgery for me. I am beginning to note things my restored leg can do now that it could not do before - simple motions like abducting away from the body, bending up higher than before. It's difficult putting into words.

I'm living in-between worlds almost. One is the not still a "fresh" patient, but also not a fully recovered THR warrior. The other is having a leg that isn't like it was physically but isn't where it will be eventually physically, and what that means emotionally and for practical day to day functioning. Because I have some pain and discomfort still, even if it is from the surgery and the healing, I feel like my brain tells me to be careful with the leg, to restrict its movement and usage just as I did before surgery out of necessity. I see it in how I'm walking. I see it when I am standing, and reflexively shift my weight to the other leg as before. I'm trying to re-learn. I'm trying to combat years of muscle memory of doing things a certain way. I have muscles that are weak because they weren't properly used before. But because things are weak and new, and habits are ingrained, and fears still arise, I struggle with the "new" way.

I am so grateful for progress and so fearful of setback. I am so encouraged by the hope of a new lease on life, of new capabilities, but I question what is attainable and how to get there.

In PT this week, I mentioned that my non-operated leg can roll out from the ankle while lying down, but that the operated leg doesn't seem to be able to. It is hard to describe the motion I mean, but this bracket comes to mind - } in the sense that the middle portion would be your knee. The PT gently maneuvered my operated leg until it did the same thing for her. It's so weird. It won't for me. It's like I have an old instruction manual hardwired in for a new machine. Before surgery the arthritis meant that leg did not move in certain ways, and that was it. And I adjusted/compensated for that. And muscles became weaker in places and stronger in places.

Now I have the possibility of using the leg like it should have been the entire time. But soreness, pain, fear, and habit is making it more difficult.

I don't know if this is making any sense. Am I glad I had the surgery? Yes. There was no hope and future with what I had going on pre-surgery. Am I recovering well? Yes, and I am grateful. Do I feel like I am "in the clear" and that I have no concerns about falling or hurting myself, of trusting the new hip? No. Am I hopeful about what continued recovery can bring? You betcha! But I don't know what is possible physically and I don't know how to lessen some of the barriers of getting to that new place. Maybe the answer simply is "time."

My PT says this hip is the newest thing in my body and I need to trust it. I want to. I just don't want to make any mistakes and I have to adapt my movement and my inner "instruction manual" and feelings to my body being different than it has been for decades. When I am in PT, I do what is asked, and place a lot of trust (which is hard) that they know what they are doing and aren't going to cause me harm. It helps build my confidence about what is ok. I just seem to have running in my mind, "Watch it, easy now, whoa nelly ... Can I do that? Should I be doing this? Hey, that's cool. That is new and wasn't possible before. Ouch, that really hurts. Is that normal to hurt? Is that a sign of anything? Speak to me, new hip!" Ha Ha

One of our BoneSmart sisters was posting today about suffering a dislocation, and my heart and prayers go out to her as I am so fearful of that. I need a way to respect that risk potential while also getting back into life. Thanks for listening and for sharing any tips from your journey.
 
@Sommers16 This is such a beautiful, touching post. You've put a lot of my own feelings into words. I hope that some of the THR warriors as you so rightfully called them can give us some comfort or guidance. I, too, find this to be a very strange place to be in the recovery process. ..I am just 3 1/2 weeks out but can relate to many of your thoughts here and am sure that I will continue to do so.

I think that the trust, as is usually the case, has to be gained slowly.

You have a gift with words. Thank you for sharing this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
 
@Sommers16 - I can so relate to what you are saying. Like @MI Chickie I am only just over 3 weeks out, but I have all the feelings of not really trusting the new hip to work in the new ways. My PT is very keen on the mind/body connection and she said that at this point my brain is working in overdrive to understand that my body can now do things differently and better and it is constantly trying to protect me from pain. I can relate to this but at the same time I push myself to test what I am capable of. As I do more I can see that at some point I will probably get back to a "normal" place - a place I haven't been for several years. This can make me quite tearful at times and almost apprehensive, which doesn't seem to make sense!

Pre-op for me, as for most of us, life had become pretty restricted. Perhaps because of this, I had an irrational fear that, for some reason the operation wouldn't work for me - something would go wrong, or it just wouldn't give me the relief I was looking for. In fact, I think I'm making a really good recovery and I can't believe that it can be as easy as this. I still worry that something will go wrong - or that I'll do something wrong! I imagine these thoughts and fears lessen over time. At the moment I just compare what I can do today with what I could do yesterday or last week and mark the improvements. I think I have reached a point now where I can do more than I could pre-op and that's a pretty good feeling to focus on!
 
I know we have a place to post scars - our healing badges - but is there a place dedicated for pre and post surgical x-rays?
Post them in your own recovery thread.
I was just reading in a thread where @Josephine detected post-op issues
Can I ask you to please not make my name a tag when it's used in the course of conversation. I get far too many tags each as it is and I can do without one that has no purpose. However, you are more than welcome to tag me any time you need to.
I am so grateful for progress and so fearful of setback. I am so encouraged by the hope of a new lease on life, of new capabilities, but I question what is attainable and how to get there.
You know, I worked with the surgeon who first developed the modern hip replacement back in the early 1960s. His principle aim was to give patients back their lives. If he could achieve that, he said, his life would have a purpose. Prove him right!
When I am in PT, I do what is asked, and place a lot of trust (which is hard) that they know what they are doing and aren't going to cause me harm.
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
Thanks, Josephine. I'm not tagging you here in response because it isn't technically essential. But I wanted to clarify in case you do see. We know you are busy and appreciate your help.

You mentioned in someone's post surgical x-ray that a black line, or space, existed that should not. Of course, I went back and looked at my x-ray, and I have a line too, maybe. (?) But I am hardly skilled at reading these or equipped to interpret them.

I asked about one place for members' x-rays because I wanted to see for myself how mine looked compared to others- always trying to establish some kind of "normal" with this.

My x-ray is already in my recovery thread, but is buried towards the beginning of my recovery now, as is the case with others, making them harder to find. I haven't had an x-ray since then.

While I tagged you to ask the question about having one central location for x-rays like we do scars, I understand you can't evaluate them all for us. You do have your hands full here, and again we appreciate it!

So I am replying to you here but not replying to you here. Ha Ha I thought for a moment it could be helpful for the community to compare and contrast the images if housed in one location, but maybe it wouldn't be without the expertise needed to decipher the pictures.

As I mentioned previously, I'm sure mine is fine, but I was troubled by what could be taken as a space like the one you pointed out with someone else's. All of this THR business for a "regular Joe" is new territory. Some days in recovery the scenery feels familiar and boring, but other days when a potential cliff drop off/danger is perceived (real or imagined), it does make one pause and question.

@BizzyLizzy - thank you for sharing and echoing familiar feelings and concerns. While the THR process is so obviously physical, it is less apparent how emotional it can be. Perhaps the "normal" I've looked for throughout this- the reassurance in comparing and contrasting with others, despite our many varied circumstances and personal journeys, is simply the acceptance that there are moments when everyone feels "on the ledge" metaphorically, and how nice it is to have people who understand that and can talk you back down.

Patience and pain-free peace wished to all today ...
 
I'm so dismayed that I haven't been alerted to your posts (you know how much I enjoy them).

After "years" of not using many of your muscles correctly, you are bound to feel discomfort once you start using them again (not to mention retraining your brain on how to walk "normal" again and turning your foot in a direction it hasn't seen for years). I would think once all of your restrictions have been lifted, you should be able to move your hip any which way (except noted below or if your OS has said otherwise). I have great confidence in my new hips because the dislocation rate (posterior) is only around 4% (I've even seen it as low as 2%), so there is a 96% chance that it will never happen. I've noticed after reading a couple of member threads, it seems that heavy lifting and sudden twisting are the two things to avoid for quite awhile. Everywhere I've read says we are not fully healed for approximately 12 months, so I will avoid the twisting and lifting until then (plus I twisted suddenly the other day and I did feel mild groin pain on both sides. The pain only lasted a few minutes, but it was a warning).

The following is not intended to make light of your concerns @Sommers16, but just how I've dealt with the same concerns you've been experiencing. Let me preface it with the fact that my pain is pretty much a thing of the past.
This journey is an emotional one and filled with anxiety and uncertainty, but I'm determined to live the rest of my life without any of the "what ifs" hovering over my head. I find it easier and easier to block those thoughts out of my mind as time goes by. It's taken some mental work to become more confident, yet on occaision those worrisome "what ifs" still rear their ugly heads, but I just shoo them away as quickly as they appear. I mean, after all, will worrying about them change anything? Not really...What will be will be.

Can you repost your xrays again? I saw xrays of a member who had a dislocation and how the prosthesis was wearing down the bone (was that the X-ray you saw)?

Praying you see easier days ahead! Like I said before, 90 days seemed like a real turning point for me, but I never went to PT, just walked (not sure if that made a difference).

xoxoxo!
CC
 
@Sommers16 ~ I just love reading your story. You've given me a clear vision of what to expect and the emotions that go along with it. Thank you, thank you. You have a way with words that come across so soothing and comforting. What a gift. Thank you for sharing with us. You are valued.
 
Totally understand your thoughts here. I am about 5 weeks ahead of you and I can relate to the stops and starts, the periods of rapid improvement and moments of trepidation.

For me having a second problematic hip has made me start to view the new hip as the dominant one. It may not be as dominant as it will be, but it is so much better than it was. I think after #2 is finished I may experience more of what you are going through. I still have a limp at times, mostly from hip #2. I still have a few motions that cause me moments of pause, but fewer than a week ago.

It is difficult to move on sometimes. These problematic hips have been with me so long and have defined my life for years. It is a mental and physical journey for sure.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom