Guest viewing is limited

THR My New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advice. I have been using my cane and practicing that "normal" gait. Trying not to hobble so much and it does seem to help. Good therapy session today. Doctor visit in the morning. Will let you know how it goes.

Gretchen
 
MJ,
I went to outpatient PT one week after my surgery, They wrapped my hip in a giant cold pack for about 20 minutes. It felt good. They used a lasor on my incision which was to promote healing. Then I was placed on an an exercise bike for awhile and did some leg esxercises. That was about it. Not too much to overdo it. I was always looking forward to my sessions. Now doing pool therapy too which I love. If you feel the therapist is making you hurt, just tell them. Good luck. Keep us posted.
 
Whew! Doctor visit a success! Everything is in place and doing what it should. He showed me how to get my shoes on by myself, how to pick things up off the floor, and even how to get on the floor if I need to, all without breaking my precautions. Back to PT in the morning, about 5 more weeks of that and hopefully not too long before I can really walk without my cane. Here's cheers to everyone who's doing great!!
 
Gretchen,

So glad everything went well at the OS and that PT is progressing.

MJ
 
Great news!!! That was good they showed you all that. Noone showed me how to get up off the ground, or put shoes on. Just did what I thought would work. LOL. I actually was able to file my toenails last night and thought what an accomplishment! It's funny how the littlest things can make me happy now. We take such things for granted. Putting on socks, painting toenails, shaving legs...... who knew they would be so difficult until you can't reach your toes anymore. Well, enjoy your next PT session!
 
It is funny how we take things for granted. Shaving my legs myself again will be a great accomplishment....My husband did that for me and it wasn't easy but we got it done.....
 
Hi everyone! Hope everyone is doing great! I think I'm right on schedule. I've been pretty busy. I'm back to work, but being very careful and going home when I get too tired. This is our busy seanson so it's really hard to get away. I take my ice pack with me and use it faithfully. Tomorrow is my last PT session. It's all been going well. I haven't used my cane for about a week, even though I keep it handy just in case. I still have a limp but it's not bad and my therapist assures me one day I'll wake up and the limp will be gone. So I practice, practice, practice. Good days ahead for all of you!
 
Hi Gretchen. So glad all is going well for you. I notice you have ditched the cane but you still have a limp. That surprised me....my pt insisted I use the cane for stability and support until the limp was gone entirely. I didn't fight her....I wanted that limp gone too. I eventually found that I was going for walks and ended up just carrying the cane because I wasn't limping...that's when I finally ditched it. If you're concerned about the lingering limp, then you could go back to the cane for a little while longer. But your therapist is not wrong either....that limp's days are numbered. :)

Sharon
 
Sharon, I do find it interesting that different PT's have different ideas about how to do things. My limp is nearly gone and I did end up with 2 more PT sessions. He has me walking at PT with or without the cane, whichever I feel more comfortable with. Hope the limp is gone soon.
 
Whew! What a weekend! Company started rolling in last Wednesday for my niece's wedding. Most of them stayed at our house and the wedding was in our backyard. And Easter at our house too. So I really overdid it this weekend but I had lots of help. But my hip is good. I've still got a small limp, but I double checked with my therapist about not using the cane and he said that was fine. I have good balance. I still have some swelling after a long day but the ice pack helps with that. I had my last day of PT last Wednesday. However, since I had a heart attack in 2010 I've been going to cardiac therapy and will pick that back up tomorrow. So I'll be sure to keep my exercise up. So how is everyone else doing??
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom