Guest viewing is limited

MUA My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<

I survived my first day!! It couldn't have been a better day. I was at a small hospital where I was familiar with the staff. What I was teaching wasn't difficult and I only had to walk two miles in the hospital. I could easily put in five miles in my larger hospitals. Lefty did marvelous and Beatrice is just a little swollen, uncomfortable and stiff. A little Tylenol, icing and elevation and I should be good!

I do believe the taping PT does on my right knee makes a huge difference in the swelling. Last Friday the assistant taped me and didn't do it like Monika does and I stayed swollen all weekend. Monika taped me yesterday and my swelling is less today even with working and all the walking than It was on the weekend. For those that struggle with swelling ask your PT about it. :yay::dancy:
 
Woohoo! I'm so glad you had a great first day back! I like being taped too and I agree that it does help with the swelling! Hope you have a nice relaxing evening and can celebrate your great day!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
it's wonderful to hear you happy, healthy and optimistic. 2 miles is a lot of walking ~ your new knees are up to the task. i asked melissa about taping today and she said she was going to buy some to try on me. thanks for the tip and hope the rest of your week goes as well as today.:yes:
 
oh wow. 2 miles! I haven't walked that distance, as far as I know, in a long time. (My DH drives me to the Underground and fetches me. Station is 670 meters from us) Perhaps I do walk it altogether but not in one go, (yet) Very good going!:yes:
 
Thanks everybody for all the support going back to work:loveshwr: I was and still am very happy with my first day back in a hospital but oh my :censored: I was up all last night with significant pain in that right leg. Not my knee so much as like my shin bone. It was deep and I never actually got pain free so sleep really evaded me. I'm not sure what all is up with that but glad that today I didn't feel bad or hurt hardly at all. I'm just taking Tylenol now for the second time all day so that's good. Thankfully I did a home office day today and will do the same tomorrow and not have to be onsite.

@VW54, oh I didn't have to walk two mikes all at once! That was just my steps in the hospital. You are correct in saying YET! We will get there. I've always been amazed at all the walking and riding of public transportation you do. It's probably more than two miles.

I'm not sure who all of you smarties are in FL but know my thought and prayers are with you as Hurricsne Irma is bearing down in the next couple of days. All of my family, Mom, bothers, sister and their families are all in FL. Some within just a couple of miles from the beach. My Mom and sister are 30 miles inland. They are all buttoning their houses down and getting ready. Some are evacuating to my mother's but it looks as if it will be bad across the entire state. Everyone stay safe and check in with us.:prayer:
 
Becky, yay, you made it through your first day of work with flying colors! :loveshwr: Two miles, even broken up, is a lot of walking for a new knee, but you did it! I know exactly what you mean about that deep shin ache; ugh. I've only experienced that at night (of course) and never really found an answer as to exactly what triggered it. Basically, I think it's just a case of being up on the feet too long, but hey, what do I know? Now, tell the truth, did you wear sneakers or heels, hmmm?

I'm really glad you were able to stay home the following day; phew! Now, if we can just get the Sleep Fairy to make regular stops at your place, you'd be all set! :flwrysmile:
 
P.S.: Thanks for the reminder on the tape. I think I need some, so will inquire on Thursday.
 
Thanks @Pheebs52! I just survived my second day in the hospital today! But regarding the first day unfortunately I can't wear sneakers for work. I can't wear scrubs unless I am teaching in an OR so it's business dress. I didn't have heel heels like spikey heels of course! Nope, not me. They were only about 1 1/2 in heel and very supportive shoes with a good arch support. Thankfully now you can find great shoes with good support that are still cute. So now for my update...

This is week 25, yes I said 25, for lefty and week 14 for Beatrice and a month and two days from her MUA. I'm officially back at work, although still easing in to it with travel. I drove 4 hours to my account yesterday, through Tropical Storm Irma (in Tennessee) checked into a hotel and then worked 8 hours in the hospital today. I had to walk between several different areas but not on my feet the entire day and drove back home. It took 5 hrs to get home with traffic and I did fine. I took Tylenol this morning and forgot to take anything till I was back home! I was a little stiff with the newer knee and minimal pain but not enough to remind me to take any meds.

I am thankful I didn't have that much stiffness at work but am still bothered with that on the right knee a bit. I have to remind myself that the MUA was only a month ago.

I still walk slower than normal but normal for me before surgery was really fast so it seems really slow to me. I'm sleeping more like 5 good nights a week instead of maybe one. I can sleep on both sides but I do wake up when I turn over but can go back to sleep now if I wake up. I deal with restless leg a lot that I didn't have before surgery. I also have a lot of tingling in my legs that I didn't have before. I take Gabapentin at night only to help that and it has helped. I also found if I wear compression knee highs to bed that helps that sensation a lot. That's the only time I wear them. I'm hoping that's not a forever thing!

I usually only take Tylenol during the day and may add Trammadol at night. Occasionally I have a terrible pain night where nothing helps but that definitely is no longer the norm. My brain seems to be over the brain fog almost entirely and I think getting back to work and having a schedule is helping that.

Last time I was measured a couple of weeks ago I was 133 on the left and 130 on the right. My extension is 0 on both knees. I see my OS next week and he should be happy! I don't feel totally "normal" yet but so very much better than a month ago. I have found with this surgery that time is our enemy as well as our best friend. Our enemy because it takes so much time to get better. Our friend because each week that passes we are getting better!

Here's to a good night sleep tonight....I'm hoping and praying!:yes!:
 
hi becky ~ first of all, how is your family in florida? secondly, you drove 4 hours to your account and through Irma? oh my goodness, you must be doing very well to be able to get out and work the next day. your flexion and extension is excellent. that's great you have found things to help you cope with the occasional pains and stiffness. i'm really happy for you and impressed that you are doing so well, back to work at a job you love. it keeps getting better! i hope your family in florida is okay. :prayer:
 
Wow, what an impressive update Becky! Really, it's just amazing, stunning in fact! I can't believe you managed all that driving (through Irma, no less) and were able to comfortably work 8 hours the following day; whoohoo!:yay: Can we just say "You've arrived?" Your ROM is phenomenal, as is your stamina, so really, what's a pair of compression knee highs at night compared to all that? Personally, I'd go with the thigh highs though; much sexier, lol! :friends:

When you have a moment, please let us know how your family is doing down in FL. It's such a *mixed-bag* all over the state. Mine are ok, though my SIL lost her screen porch and a few shingles. I just hope everyone gets their electricity restored ASAP. I really can't imagine dealing with that insufferable heat without; ugh!
 
Hi everyone, I haven't been on much lately. I think life is getting in the way. I think that is a good thing but I miss my BS friends. I don't miss the days where I had hours and hours of time to be on BS because I wasn't able to do much else but I do miss those I have bonded with!

@liam2015 my family in FL are all okay and my Mother finally got power back just yesterday. Minor tree and property damage shows how blessed they were. My drive thru Irma was she was a tropical depression in Tennessee, so it was just lots of downpouring rain and some windy driving conditions. Nothing like what those in the path suffered.

Lefty will be 26 weeks tomorrow, isn't that half a year?? Beatrice is still a teenager at 15 weeks. I'm going into week three back to work tomorrow. I have to drive back to Bristol, four hours away tomorrow but just for the day and then back there again for Thursday and Friday. I will spend the night Thursday though to keep from driving all that way two days in a row.

Beatrice gets stiff after driving and she has to scream a bit till she gets her motor running as I walk into the hospital to work. I really am pleased with how they both feel. As I have said before I don't even notice Lefty at all. She rarely hurts at all and I don't pay her any attention. Beatrice still wants to be stiff at times that make no sense at all. Yesterday we spent the day chasing grandchildren with two soccer games and one football game. Today she is griping at me like she was the one that played ball!

Monika "fired" me from PT this last Wednesday. I've been going 2 and 3 days a week for five months now and was happy to graduate. I know many did PT on their own but I feel that I gained much insight, help and benefit with my knees and back from going. I am so much stronger and know how to daily do my exercise especially for my back to hopefully prevent flairups in the future. Having the correct therapist that really knows what they are doing and how to help new knees and my back made all the difference.

I do have to say that I have fallen in love with reading again since my surgeries. That is something I let slide because my job had consumed so much of my time. @KarriB i think it was "The Nightingale" that did it. I'm now reading another one of her books "Winter Garden" and having a difficult time putting it down. That has a lot to do with not having spare time to get on here! It's so good not to have brain fog that consumed so many of my months after both of these knees!

I feel like Spring and Summer were so much a blur since I started this journey on March 22. I am so looking forward to living Fall as it is my very favorite time of the year!:loveshwr:
 
I'm glad you enjoyed The Nightingale. It was a fabulous book! If you liked it you may enjoy All the Light You Cannot See, it's set during the same time period.

I'm glad to hear all is going well for your knees! Yay! :yay:
 
So wonderful to hear from you and how well you're doing! I agree about PT. It can be very useful, and I found it so, when we turn to our own benefit. You certainly did that, and you're on the up, up, and away track of recovery. You're finding joy and fulfillment, and that's why we do this surgery, to free ourselves to enjoy life again. :yes!:
 
Becky, it is so good to see you getting back to "real" life again. It really gives me hope that I will be there soon. Next summer will be great for all of us. :bigfish::biking::tennis2::swim::kayak:
 
I think life is getting in the way.

This a wonderful "problem." Congratulations!

It's so good not to have brain fog that consumed so many of my months after both of these knees!

I agree!
I feel like Spring and Summer were so much a blur since I started this journey on March 22. I am so looking forward to living Fall as it is my very favorite time of the year!

It's like waking up to the world again, isn't it? Fall is my favorite time of year, too. Your post is so positive and uplifting. Thanks for sharing where you are right now. You are a testament that good things will come.
 
Go Becky!:hog:

I'm so glad "life has gotten in the way," for you since that's absolutely everyone's goal here, eh? Yeah, it is! That said, I hope you continue to post now and then when you have a moment. You always bring a ray of sunshine!:SUNsmile:

I feel exactly as you do about PT, but I think it's due to two, very specific factors: The first being, we had WONDERFUL therapists! Very important. The second being: Underlying conditions that made walking, stairs and other things difficult and painful. Namely, twin bad backs, and in my case, wonky muscles around the bionic hip as well. Things just don't come as easily for us, but when they come, watch out!

I'm thrilled to hear your brain fog has completely vanished and you can now enjoy reading again! As foggy as I was, I was always able to read, from day one, so that was a real plus for me. Sure, I read the same paragraph 3-5 x over, but still....I could read. And now you can really read, the right way, lol!

It sounds as though Beatrice still has just a little bit of growing up to do, but I'm confident she'll get there soon! She's really been through a lot, so we have to cut her some slack. :friends:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom