THR My life with Helga the Hip1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Briggieride and @DrToonz that happened to me in the hospital too...I think on of the meds didn't help either as I have low blood pressure anyway

Super important to keep the meds up as it is early days yet.....keep up the good work
 
Day 15. I feel awesome. My TED stockings came off yesterday. Tomorrow morning is my last Lovenox injection. I sleep well. I can sleep on my back, on my left and even a little bit on my right. But I have to be careful when I turn myself over to avoid pain. Today I had my longest walks to date. Three times for about 25 minutes each- no crutches. I do the exercises prescribed in the hospital, but not as often as they told me which is three times. I figure that all that walking is excellent and I went into this surgery with good fitness. My right hip flexor feels a little bit tight, but then that is the location where one of the incisions is. I try to stretch my flexors while walking very deliberately without limping. I can now lift my knee about 10 inches when I sit in a chair. In the beginning I could barely lift my knee at all. The surgical glue is still attached and I'll just wait until it comes off by itself. I am curious what it looks like underneath, but I think I'll better wait. I don't want to irritate things or get an infection or any other complication.
In between my short bursts of activity I go back to lounging on my sofa, being grateful and amazed at what was done to my hip. My wish is that everybody would fare the way I did, but we are all different and respond in different ways. Get well everybody!!!
 
18 days post-op. Yesterday I found out what 'over doing' means for me. I thought I'd mix it up a bit on my walk. So far I have been walking up and down my street to the lake and back two times for a few days now [30 minute walk twice a day]. That has been great and I had no ill effects except maybe a little bit of tightness afterwards. I have dealt with that with resting on the sofa and putting an ice pack on my hip.
Well, yesterday I decided to walk up a fairly steep part of the road in my neighborhood and I thought it went very well too. Some tightness after the walk, but nothing that would tell me that I overdid things. This morning, however, is another story. It is definitely more sore inside my hip and I decided to take one 5mg oxycodone again to make the pain go away. Obviously that worked, but so would 'not overdoing it'. Border found-lesson learned. Don't become over-eager and rush things during recovery.
Wishing everyone a smooth recovery.
 
20 days since rthr. I am truly amazed at my recovery. :happydance:I don't really understand it, but I take it. :happydance:I am sure the MIS-2 approach of my excellent OS had a lot to do with it. I also tried to stay strong and fit before my surgery and maybe that is the reason for the rate of my recovery.
After overdoing the type of walking I did on Friday [walking up a steep hill] I had a whole day's rest on Saturday. On Sunday I walked for 50 minutes straight to no ill effect. While I walk I am continuously amazed at the way I walk, because I have not been able to walk normally for so many years, and on top of that I have just a little bit of healing pain, which at this point is no big deal. I am off the narcotic pain killers and I even skipped a dose of Tylenol once today. And on top of that I walked 40 minutes twice today for a total of 80 minutes. After each time I got back onto my sofa with an icepack and rest. I can sleep on all sides: back, stomach, left and right too. There is still some residue on my two incisions, but I won't mess with them although I have been tempted. I only cut off the loose edges as they roll up. Can't wait to see what it really looks like under there. Tomorrow is my first physical therapy appointment.
After the surgery the walking was not easy as my groin area felt really tight. My stride was uneven because of that and I started limping like before the surgery. My husband pointed out to me that I was not touching my heal down first and then rolling onto the toes. I have been paying attention since then, shortened my stride so I would not limp and in the process must have stretched the tight area in my groin so that now I have a nice long and even stride again. I am so happy to get my life back. So what if the implant is not going to last forever. If it lasts only ten years, that will be ten years of living. I am sure, however, that it will last much longer and by that time I'll be older and in a different phase of my life.
I continue to wish everyone the best possible recovery.
From: a very happy Hippy:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:
 
bottomshollow, I thank you for your reply.

Ah, @Briggieride, beware the overdoing! Too much exercise (and museum walking IS exercise) and you could develop tendonitis which is painful and takes a long time to resolve.

What kind of tendonitis are you talking about? Where on my body would it be? I am not familiar with tendonitis.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Briggieride, tendons are thick cords that attach bone to muscles. So after THR, so all the tendons in the the hip area, which have already been traumatized by the surgery, can become inflamed and painful with too much exercise too early after surgery.
 
Today I am 5 weeks post op. Time goes fast and I am well on my way. I am still only taking one Aspirin in the morning and one at night as a blood thinner as per doctor's orders. As of yet I have not ridden my bicycle, but today I am sorely tempted. I know I can do it, but I am nervous. Why? I don't really know. But what I do know is this: to get over my nervousness I have to simply 'just do it'. I think today is the day. I already pumped up the tires and swung my leg over the saddle. No problem at all. So, what am I afraid of? I know how to ride a bicycle. After all, it was the only thing I could do without unbearable pain right up to my surgery.
Since my surgery I have been walking regularly; about 3 miles every other day for a week now. No ill effects. I am not limping and there is only a tiny bit of pain afterwards. Maybe I should describe it more as 'tightness'. It's still healing in there. Incisions look good; all healed up. I don't get as tired anymore either. I am back to doing everything except going to work. That will happen on the 24th. I am enjoying my time off. It makes me look forward to retirement. When will that happen? Tomorrow, if I win the lottery.
 
I am with you on the lottery for retirement. Hope you took the bike ride and it went great!
 
@mature mama . My ride yesterday went great. I was very worried before I went. I have no idea why. My husband came with me and together we rode 21 miles. Before we started I had planned on maybe 10 miles, but once I was on my bike...I could not stop myself. It's almost like the old days before my new hip, only better because there was no pain. Last night I fell asleep at 9:30 PM and woke up this morning at 8:30 AM. 11 hours of sleep? I guess I was tired. My hip feels great, but there will be no cycling today. Today is a walking day and PT exercise day.
@bottomshollow . Thanks for changing the title of my thread. If possible could it be made in bold type?
 
Naming your hip, I had not thought of that. : ) Love how fun your bike ride sounds and the great sleep that goes with it. You are inspirational!
 
@mature mama . Thank you.I name things that make a difference in my life and Helga sure does.
@MajorHeidi , I don't know what condition you are in and what your activity level is, but after your hip replacement on April 10th, don't be afraid to use your new hip if you doc says you can. Sure, there will be some tightness and also some pain, but that is what the pain meds are for. Don't over do, whatever that means. Listen to your body, tolerate a little bit of pain. Every bodies pain threshold is different, but I think accepting a little bit is helping. And resting and icing after the effort.
Today I am 5 weeks and 3 days post of. I am still off pain meds accept for the Aspirin [blood thinning], however Aspirin is pain med as well. Don't know if it helps in the pain department. After all, I only take one every 12 hours.
Anyway, yesterday I pushed my activity a little bit more and walked 4 miles. It felt great and I had not pain at all. In the evening I rested on the sofa, once again, with an icepack. That is my routine and it seems to work.
 
Yesterday I had my six week follow-up. The doc told me 'to live my life'. This, after I got some answers to questions I had in regards to how far I am allowed to bend my hip. He told me no more than 120 degrees with my knee right in front of my chest, and that would be for a life time. I still was not quite clear about what that would look like and so I went ahead and sat on a regular chair. Then I bent over my affected leg and pretended to tie my shoe laces. That seemed like a pretty steep angle to me and I had always kind of worried about it. But he pointed out to me that I was bending my back and that would not affect my hip angle. So, to make it clear: it's the bend at the hip joint while the back is straight that matters. I also had a question regarding how far back I can bend my hip. He said: nothing extreme. That when I take a big step forward with the unaffected leg, the affected hip would bend almost as far back as I can go without dislocating. I am at 8 degrees there now when I lie on a flat surface on my belly and lift my leg up backwards. My PT measured the angle. A little bit more is okay, but nothing extreme. Well, that won't be necessary anyway. Today I start another round of PT per my request, because I want to get a better feel about stretching. I will ask my PT to measure the angle when I take a very big step.

My two incisions [anterior is 2.5 inches and on the side above the panty line it is 1.5 inches] look great. There is just some lumpiness and when I bend my hip it looks puckered. I asked the surgeon about that and he said that those are adhesions. By massaging them I can break up the adhesions. There is also still some surface numbness above my knee about a third up my thigh, slightly to the outside. That too will diminish over time he said. but guess what, that is not what is really important to me. What is important is that I have no pain.

Another question I asked: What happens when the joint wears out?
He said that it won't wear out, because the plastic liner is very hard. I said, 'Even if I ride 50,000 miles with it on my bike?'. He said yes. I then said, but if it does, is it possible to just replace the liner and the ball? He said, that's what they do if the implant is still firmly attached to the bone. I liked that answer. Obviously.
Next week I am going back to work :groan:. It is so strange that I feel that way, because I have always loved my job. Maybe having this big surgery happen to me and also getting older and having grandchildren, tells me that there are things I want to do and while working I simply don't have the energy. This time off has been wonderful, but I can't go on having joints replaced just so I can have time off:yikes:, right? [Just trying to be funny.]

Thinking of everyone having hip replacement and wishing them a successful outcome.:)
 
Great update! Heading to work next week also ... mixed feelings here also. Trying to figure out how to keep me first, as I get back to my busy life.
 
Today is Saturday and I have slept in this morning. After going back to work last Monday and having to get up so early I guess I needed that extra bit of sleep. Other than that I am doing great. Truly. Sometimes I don't even think about my hip anymore and that it is not the original part. That kind of freaks me out a little bit, because I worry that I might be doing something I should not do.
My adventure with my surveyor friend and his wife in our local mountains went great last Friday. I did what my OS told me to do: Live your life. Tragically, only two miles east from were we were in Oso, on the same side of the river valley in the mountains, the land slid and buried a whole community the following Saturday and those poor people will never live their lives now. I feel great sadness as does everyone I know.
I will continue to live my life and I am incredibly grateful that I can with my new and improved hip. When the weather improves and the road to Darrington is cleared I want to ride my bike to Darrington. Sort of a memorial ride. Maybe I can organize something to benefit the people in Oso and Darrington.
People, live your life and be grateful. We only go around once. Make it count.
 
I forgot to mention that I can now do 15 reps of straight leg lifts with 2.5 lb weights strapped around my ankles and after a short rest I can repeat with another 15. Amazing! I have not been able to do any kind of leg lift for such a long time before my surgery.
I can walk for as long as I want without pain and I can ride my bike for as long as I want without pain. In regards to riding my bike for as long as I want-my endurance is down, but I'll work on that.
On April 14th I'll have my left shoulder examined. I am determined to live a more pain free life. I think I have tendonitis in there, but I am not a doctor and will refer to a specialist. I have had that pain for some time as well and I have no idea how it started.
 
Good for you....great progress!!! Do be sure that you increase your activity gradually. But it sounds like you have a wonderful start to a new, active life!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom