THR My life with Helga the Hip1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Briggieride thanks for your well wishes about my infection. In answer to your question I had what I thought was a good recovery except for being very tired. But of course this could of been me, the surgery or just normal. My scar was certainly very nice and at about 3-4 weeks I got an irritation which was as small as a pin prick.

Everyone at rehab I showed thought it was a stitch irritation as I had internal sutures. I have had irritations like that with other surgeries. In fact at my 3 month appt I didn't even show it to my OS that's how insignificant it was, even thought was a tiny bit bigger. A week later I had pain, heat and inflammation around the area and further down the track when I got really sick an MRI showed a deep pocket of fluid tacking outwards to my scar.

Anyway, I'll tag @Jamie, @Jaycey or @Poppet to change to hip resurfacing tags at the front of yours and @Brave gal s threads

Keep up the good work
 
Both threads now say "THR" before the titles. :thumb:
 
@BraveGal Well, Nancy, you wanted to hear from me about my post-op. It went really well and the Doc told me that I can do anything. I said, 'Really? Even bending over and tying my shoes?'. He said, 'Yes, but don't do it with your leg towards your chest. Do it with your knee turned outwards, like this.' And then he showed me. So I am allowed to bend my knee 120 degrees towards my chest and more if I turn my knee outwards. He prescribed physical therapy and told me to come back in four weeks.

Last night I felt so strange. Why? Because I had walked outside, walked around the house without any cane and when it came to bed time I went upstairs in the normal way: with one foot on one step at one time. Like my husband who has no hip issues. When I got to the top I thought 'This should not be this easy. I had major hip replacement and I am barely nine days out of surgery. This can't be right.' I think my problem is that my brain has not caught up yet.

Don't get me wrong: most of the time I am comfortably recovering on my sofa, icing my hip. I want to give my body adequate help recovering from this assault on it. I think next week I'll do a lot more walking with breaks in-between, resting on my sofa. And I do still have pain, but that is easily resolved by resting.

I read Josephine's advice before my surgery and I have taken it to heart. I tend to like to work out hard, but now is not the time. That will come soon enough.

I am glad to hear that you are also taking Josephine's advice to heart. You'll be glad you did. Our bodies can't be rushed, but they get the job done if given the chance.
I love reading about everyone's experience and thoughts.
 
Hi Briggeride,

I am so glad I to hear your good news, I am so happy for you. I understand what you are saying about hips behaving like surgery never happened. I never had time pre-op to do any investigating, I just tried to accept the fact that I was going to be stuck in home and have an unsightly scar on my butt cheek.

The whole experience was so fast for me that I took instruction from my brother who's and MD and left the rest to fate. I was doing too much going up & down steps 8 or 9 times a day, not using walker or cane in house etc. My post op instructions did not limit 90degree bending if I bend and put operated leg behind me.

In my bathroom I have a higher toilet anyway but put raised seat in hall bathroom and I find it more comfortable. Have 10% battery so I am gonna watch tv (omg enough) it's a blizzard here and my hubby is in other room watching if I go down steps. He went to sleep in guest room to let me relax in bed because he goes to sleep early and taking meds at night is messing up his sleep, I need him to be alert

Happy valentines day so glad you had good news. Nancy not so brave gal. Lol.
 
Thanks @Vetgirl. I hope that the antibiotics work for you. It must be very stressful to play this waiting game. But what you told me tells me to keep a close eye on my incisions, even months after they are healed. Take care:)
 
@Vetgirl , did you have staples or internal stitches with surgical glue over the stitches? My Doc told me yesterday that I could remove the surgical glue with vaseline before my next shower. I am inclined to keep it on a bit longer, just in case. I really want to prevent any kind of infection. I value your input. Thanks, Brigitte
 
@Brave gal Hi Nancy. How are you doing? I just came back from a visit to the bathroom and while there I decided to combine that little walk with a longer walk to my mailbox and back. Maybe I should do this every time I go to the bathroom? The mailbox is a little ways away as we live on acreage in the woods. The weather is gorgeous. Your weather will improve eventually and you will be so overjoyed when that happens. I hope the improvement comes soon for you.

So you don't think you are alone in regards to where your husband sleeps. The first night after I got home he slept in the marital bed, but after a horrible night's sleep for him he decided to sleep in the guest room. I encouraged him to do that by saying that I could manage by myself. He then slept the next five days in the guest room and I felt much better because I could just do what I needed to do without disturbing him.

The last three nights he has slept very well next to me and I am managing to find my pain pills and the bathroom just fine in the dark. I love my independence:). Last night I had my first :beer:. Of course I was off the oxycontin all day, but I take it as needed. I just wanted to have a beer more than less pain yesterday. :cheers:
 
Hi Briggieride,

Today I have been uncomfortable all day and had to slightly increase my oxycodone frequency. I am not as recovered as I thought. I have had more aching and stiffness than prior. I feel down right lousy.

I have had an ache in my foot, which is weird, and also my upper thigh has a sensation as well as my buttock cheek. I had my surgery 2 days before you and physically this is the worst I felt to date.

I am so happy you are enjoying decent weather. My wonderful marvelous husband misses being close to me. I am the one who asked to sleep alone at night because he needs to get a good night sleep nd I have been up during the night with taking pain meds and such that we both would be more comfortable until I can tolerate sleeping on my side,through the night. etc

I was moving around so much as soon as I returned from the hospital that I might be guilty for doing too much and I don't want to heed my healing process or cause injury. I possibly am having a bit of post op blues.

I received amazing Valentines gifts and flowers, I feel guilty I cannot cook a decent meal for my husband. He has been a real treasure in my ordeal, I thank the Lord for him everyday. I wish I had more cheerful news on my end but your good spirits make me feel happy for you. One day soon we will all go on a long walk together and enjoy our pain free lives.

Talk soon nancy
 
Wow Briggieride and Brave girl, I'm so jealous. My surgeon is old fashioned and still does posterior.

Seems the people with outstanding recoveries have the newer methods done.

Grrrr the hard way it will be! :)
 
@Briggeride I forgot to ask you about you granddaughters. You are such a hip grand mom. I have one son 25 who move home last year. He is in a serious relationship but not getting married any time soon. All my friends have grandchildren. We waited almost 10 years before having a child. I just had #7 great nephew at Christmas.

Enjoy your evening talk soon Nancy
 
Doyle, I am unfamiliar with the different surgery types, I just DID IT because my brother the family Dr said go for it now and I just leaped in. I trusted his judgement because he definitely is out for my interest and he was familiar with the orthopedic I chose. He also saw my X-rays and told me to do surgery sooner rather than wait.

Would you explain what you're getting? Reading your post you have been through a lot already but your beautiful bird will help you get through plus all of us are here for you for moral support and prayers.

Best to you Nancy
 
@Brave gal Hi Nancy, don't get me wrong. I do have pain, but it is not constant. It varies with activity level. I think you had your surgery two days after I had mine. Mine was on the 4th and yours on the 6th. Just wait and see and you will feel much better.

Also, I had been living with this pain for almost ten years and now, even though I have pain, the difference is that it is healing pain. My thigh muscle is sore today, my knee hurts a little bit, inside my hip it hurts a little bit as well. But that is what I expect. After all, it was a big surgery even though it was the MIS-2.

I am sure your recovery will be similar to mine. I also had one day of the blues and I expect that there might be more. My bottom is being sat upon quite a bit, because I am giving my body time to heal. Sitting so much is hard, but with watching movies, some Olympics [curling I find for some reason fascinating], Love it or List it and Househunters International, all the while knitting, reading and writing on this blog, I am doing okay.

I am a homebody anyway and find it quite cosy being home without rushing around. Except that my bottom is getting flattened out. Oh well. Eventually I'll have to go back to work in a local school district. And I'll be able to ride my bike, hike and garden again. Yippee. And rushing around. Not so yippee. And it is going to happen this year. I consider this a small prize to pay for my eventual pain free life. Hang in there Nancy. You can do it.
I have two grown sons [29 and 30]. Grandchild number four is expected mid March. Take care, Brigitte:console2:
P.S.: My hip's name is Helga:happydance: I name things that mean something to me.
 
Hi @Briggieride .....I had internal stitches with no glue.

I would follow Jo's advice as m infection came from deep within....not from the scar

Keep up the good work with your recovery
 
Day 12 in my recovery. Today I am not doing as well as I have earlier in my recovery. Since yesterday there has been more pain. It kind of feels like the pain I had before my hip replacement. Maybe I should not have cut out the Oxycodone? Maybe they put some numbing stuff inside my hip during the OP that is wearing off? Maybe I walked too much, although I don't think so? In my mind I have really been taking it easy. In any case, I am back to taking Oxycodone, 5mg each time I take it. I will see were that takes me. And I will walk less today or maybe not at all.
My thigh hurts to my knee and my calf is a little sore as well. I checked for signs of blood clots, but there is nothing obvious. So I think is is just part of recovery. After all, there has been cutting, sawing, reaming and hammering done to my hip and I don't think the body forgets such an assault so quickly. I am normally a person who is pretty upbeat, but today I am having a little bit of the blues. Oh well, that too is part of life and it will pass. Tomorrow is another day. So @Brave gal , you are not alone. Take care:console2:
 
@Briggieride
I havent updated my thread for a couple of days, but you and I are in a similar place. I had quite a lot of pain last night, resulting from what I think was a little (emphasize little) PT I did with an in-home PT yesterday. Pain in thigh, knee, and all the way down calf to ankle, and both sides of buttocks. I am still taking delaudid about 3 times a day, and added 1 5 mg oxy last night, iced and elevated. That did the trick. Today I felt fine again.
So my guess is that your extra pain is from doing too much, even though you don't think you are. You do seem to do a lot of walking....and I know what you mean...we spend a lot of time on the couch/chair/bed, so it really doesn't seem like we are doing very much.
Question? How do you "check for signs of bloodclots"?
 
@FLgirlie , Here is what to look for [I copied and pasted from the WebMed]:
Signs and Symptoms of DVT
Half of all DVT cases cause no symptoms. If you do have any of the DVT symptoms below -- especially if they occur suddenly -- call your doctor right away:

  • Swelling in one or both legs
  • Pain or tenderness in one or both legs, which may occur only while standing or walking
  • Warmth in the skin of the affected leg
  • Red or discolored skin in the affected leg
  • Visible surface veins
  • Leg fatigue
Here is something else I found helpful from somewhere on BoneSmart:
I just love the "don't overdo it" advice. It comes from everyone and is appropriate advice for everyone.
I asked my Dr. what it means and he said (I think I mentioned this before) that it's really subjective.
In a way he told me that I NEED to overdo it, because there is no way to really know what overdoing it is until you overdo it. Then DON'T DO IT AGAIN.
And the hard part, it seems, will be the fact that the overdo it point will be changing all the time from being more healed as time goes on.
I guess the goal is to only overdo it a little bit. Flirt with the overdo, right?

[Just experimenting with color; to liven things up a bit].

So far today I walked to the main road [less than 1km]. This time I used both my forearm crutches in order to 'not overdo it'. I needed to get out and I enjoyed having my head sprinkled on my a little rain. Made me feel alive. @DrToonz- I love your take on things! Go Hawks:happydance::yay::egypdance::dancy:And lastly: :cheers:. I have had a beer once in a while when I have not taken any oxycodone for a whole day. Unfortunately today I am taking 5mg of the stuff, because pain is wearing me out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom